My biggest fear: Alex Smith becomes a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

One thing we DO know: the Bills CS and FO is NOT like the Jets. Don't know if that's good or bad at this point, but with even less chance to make the playoffs, the Jets are sticking with a 38 year old never-was because "He gives us the best chance to win".

dogg, Will-I-Am-Not and JetBlue like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

I'd be okay with that except the Chiefs aren't going to let Smith go for a 3rd rounder. Hell, he might even remain their starter next year.

3. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, signing Eli now that's he[s washed up, would make perfect sense for the Jets based on their history as the "hand-me-down stepchild" of the Giants. Actually I'm surprised Woody hasn't made a deal to acquire the old used uniforms from the Giants, maybe having green stripes sown on them, and then "Presto! Good as new!".

4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Bridge QB? Smith might win the league MVP this year. If Fave at age 40 went for a 2 so will Smith. It will also require an extension for him to come here.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

How about a 3rd rounder, Christian Hackenberg, Wesley Johnson, Buster Skrine, Todd Bowles, Kacy Rodgers, and two smacks across Andy Reid's face?

I'd be ok with sending a 2nd rounder, but not a first.

6. JethroTull

I view as an indictment on Petty and Hackenberg. The Jets must feel they already know both are terrible.

7. JethroTull

We need the picks more than Smith. If this team was a competent QB away from winning big I would be for it, but the roster is still terrible

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

absolutely not.

9. ColoradoContrails

I still think it'll take more than that. And I don't want him. Just draft the very best QB you can and play him. Use McCown and Petty as the back ups if he falters - assuming we've dumped Bowles already because he won't allow a rookie to play no matter how good they might be.

ChrebetCrunch likes this.
  10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

No to Alex Smith. Re-sign McCown. Keep Petty. Draft the best QB available with first round pick. Take best offensive lineman or CB with the first second rounder and flip/flop which position they don't take with the other second rounder. Three impact players have to come out of the first three picks in this draft. Not saying, IMMEDIATE impact, but within 2-3 years, for sure...

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Unless the Jets are ready to fully commit to developing young QB talent, there is no reason whatsoever to spend valuable draft capital on a kid that you're just leave to his own devices. If the Jets are willing to make the investment in a young Qb, there is no sane reason to sign Alex Smith when you already have your "bridge QB" on the roster with McCown. What Bowles and Macc will have to come to grips with, is that at some point it will be time to move on from McCown and make him the defacto QB coach. That decision will take both of them out of their comfort zones and put them squarely in the great unknown. How they deal with that will determine if the Jets truly transition from their play it safe mode.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Free agency in 2018 might be the heaviest star laden FA I have ever seen. It will be interesting to see what pieces teams bring in, this is where showcasing what you're capable of is important. Had the Jets been trash this year a lot of FA's or guys we're trying to resign may have looked at us like they did the Browns last year.

2018 NFL Free Agents

Back to the topic of Alex Smith, I don't see the upside in signing him.
    A) Hes's going to get a multi year 18-20mil/year deal from whoever he signs with
    B) He will likely turn back into a pumpkin after this year, which is what he's always been

Why sign Smith for 18-20mil/year when you could sign Cousins for 22mil/year? Or, sign Bridgewater for 12-14mil/year. I would much rather get Bridgewater and him be exactly what Alex Smith currently "is" but has the potential to be what Cousins is for much less than Smith.

13. ChrebetCrunch

It's my opinion that we are as little as 5 key players away from competing. An edge rusher, a bookend corner opposite Claiborne, two offensive linemen, and of course, a QB. Between draft picks and free agency, I think that we could do it. We have competent receivers in Enunwa, Anderson, Kerley, Kearse, Stewart, Hansen, Seferian-Jenkins, and a wild card in Leggett. 2018 is going to be a make or break year for Macc. If his 2018 off-season is as good as 2017, our future is going to be bright. If his first 3 picks are any combination of QB, OL, OL, I'll be happy.

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. Remember when we had Mark Brunell mentoring Sanchez? You'd be hard pressed to find a more accomplished veteran than Brunell, but he had no tangible bearing on Sanchez's development as a player. Brunell's main concern, at least on Hard Knocks, was worrying about whether Sanchez was hitting on his attractive teenage daugher. Which was a valid worry, given the revelations that appeared in the press about Sanchez soon after.

dogg and Red Menace like this.
  15. ChrebetCrunch

We are sticking with a 38 year year old journeyman because Petty and Hackenberg are awful. McCown gives us the best chance to look competitive during a tank year. If Petty or Hackenberg started the season, the tank would be too obvious.

16. ChrebetCrunch

The all-time greatest football minds couldn't have developed Sanchez. I wanted him to succeed so bad, but he just isn't very good.
    The right combination of talent and mentorship could go a long way. A veteran presence isn't necessarily needed, but it doesn't hurt.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

I WOULD say IMMEDIATE impact = 1st year starting, within 3 years All Pro.

18. ColoradoContrails

Who cares if it's "obvious"? It could never be proved - did anyone prove the Colts or Browns tanked? I'm not saying they should've purposely lost any games, but if they lost as a byproduct of playing Petty/Hack to see what they're capable of, then fine. All McCown has done - and it's not his fault - is to muddy the waters, as if they aren't already muddy enough.

19. ColoradoContrails

Sanchez was/is never a HOF'er, but he was undermined by shitty coaching and allowing the talent around him to drain away without being replaced. He could never carry a team on his shoulders, but that's what it seemed Rex/Tanny expected.

ChrebetCrunch likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

the waters are not muddy. we need a qb, the fact that two young kids are on the bench does not change that.