Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'll be here for YEARS, but I'll start:
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (re-make, please don't waste your time)
    It's Alive (re-make, please, don't waste your time)
    Mark of the Witch
    Carnival of Souls (re-make 1/10 worth wasting your time)
    Let's Scare Jessica to Death
    Alice, Sweet Alice (yes, it features the actress from Liquid Sky)

I pretty much know them all, so fire away.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I have to go with the ones that got the zombie genre up and running, not the first but if not for Night of the Living Dead, we would not have The Walking Dead. Follow that up with Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

Also like 28 Days Later and Shaun of the Dead. Getting away from zombies the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the original The Blob, The Thing and Species.

Of course there are the over the top movies which I always loved like Plan 9 from Outer Space and The Hand which was pretty terrible but for some reason I liked it.

3. jetophile

^Plan 9 rules, but that's a bit of a different category, haha. The Hand with Michael Caine, good one. Well, now that the JFK files have been released, Oliver Stone is having a field day.
    Burnt Offerings
    The Sentinel (totally underrated flick) Christopher Walken has a cameo, and he's well, Christopher Walken. Beverly D'Angelo masturbates
    Dead of Night

4. jetophile

I don't want to gloss over Hammer Studios and Universal flicks. Please feel free to post which ones you love the best. As to the latter, everyone who knows me knows which one has a special place in my heart: Jets football, morbidly fascinating. In fact, it's in my top ten masterpieces of all time.

[​IMG]

Cman68 and KWJetsFan like this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I saw this on NF a few years ago, and thought it was good. Particularly the latter part of the movie. A German post- apocalyptic fare Hell

I liked the one from Australia also, These Final Hours

The Body Snatcher
    comes to mind

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  6. jetophile

My dog was named after Bela Lugosi. No, that's not a movie. My dog was named after Bela Lugosi.
    Them!
    Frogs
    The Oblong Box
    Sssssssss
    Rebecca
    The Innocents (The Others, total rip off)
    The Other (one of the twins is now sadly kaput - Thomas Tryon was also a totally underrated writer)
    Phantasm

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. The Waterboy

Forgot about Phantasm, great movie. Another I didn't think of before, but was reminded of it because part 3 just came out on the SyFy channel tonight, Jeepers Creepers, an excellent movie I thought. Jeepers Creepers II not as good but still decent, Jeepers Creepers 3 tonight just lost it's appeal by going right into showing him out in full light almost from the beginning of the movie. Still watched it all the way through but horror movies with the creature out in full view in the daylight just loses it's appeal.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The Exorcist scared the living piss out of me when i was a kid. Buddy of mine's big sister took us to see it when we we like nine.

Bonus points: got laid when my date in college at halloween movie night refused to sit through it.

The first Aliens movie is similarly scary as fuck,

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Killer Shrews
    The Crawling Eye
    Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein

Basically anything that Creature Feature and Chiller Theater used to show back in the day. I spent a lot of Friday nights eating popcorn and shivering at the most ludicrous horror films.

The Mummy, the original, was wonderful.

jetophile and Cman68 like this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Ooh, nice thread. Good shout out for The Sentinel, very underrated imo.

I'm more of a fan of traditional monster movies or supernatural things than modern slasher horror. The classic b&w Universal movies are mostly great, particularly the early Frankenstein ones, as are the early Hammer ones too, before they became too formulaic. Although I do really like Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter (awful title) which was a late Hammer effort.

Another one I've always really liked was Night of the Demon, which I think had a different name for its US release but I don't know what it was.

11. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

A little musical homage to horror films

jetophile likes this.
  12. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Movies that creep me out are the satanic cults and f'n witches. (Cause there's enough sick people in the world for them to be real)

Race with the devil. Peter Fonda, Lorreta Swit.

Rosemary's baby. Mia Farrow, John Cassevetes.

Others that I find equally disturbing are the pandemic movies. (Again, cause they could actually happen)

Outbreak.

The Andrometa strain.

I also grew up on the late night horror flicks.
    Frankenstein, The Mummy, Creature from the black lagoon, Werewolf, The Invisible Man, Draculla. Scary shit back in the day, for a 10 YO.

One episode of The Twilight Zone also scarred me for life. :) Talking Tina.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There were some wonderful really trashy Euro-horror films in the 70's. They made the Hammer films look staid by comparison. Unfortunately I went to see them for the boobs so I don't remember the names, which were all subtitled anyway.

14. The Waterboy

Forgot all about Chiller Theater, used to watch it every week just about

jilozzo, jetophile, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
    Hold That Ghost (1941)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    The Thing (1982)

Br4d likes this.
  16. jetophile

Me after Jets loss today:

'Basket Case', I adore it. Legend has it that the the guy with the green knit hat on was wearing a Jets hat, but they had to take the logo off because of bs. A friend of mine was in 'Basket Case II". Credited as man in attic. Hahahaha.

EDIT & P.S.: When the Jets first drafted Bilal Powell, guess what I thought of? "Belial!"

#16 jetophile, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Ptflea2 likes this.
  17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

18. jetophile

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is GREAT. I absolutely love that flick. Watch it If you never want to sleep again. The set designs will be haunting people forever. Weimar School.
    'M' - more of a thriller (my apologies, but the balloon/Elsie scene will F with your mind for the rest of your life. It's that horrifying. Pedo serial child murderer gets sentenced in a Kangaroo Court with Hitler looming. The question of what do we do with these sickos will never be answered. One of Peter Lorre's greatest turns, so I feel justified for listing it).
    The Abominable Dr. Phibes
    I Walked With a Zombie
    Donovan's Brain

joe likes this.
  19. jetophile

Thank you for blessing the uninitiated. Haha, that movie is just too fabulous. It's why it's high on my list.
    Willard
    Blacula
    Deafula
    The House on Haunted Hill (original)
    The Man Who Turned to Stone

When we get to about 1,000 pages, I'll get into some more of the comments, but yeah, I LIVED for Chiller Theatre.

#19 jetophile, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  20. jetophile

More on the first later, but I saw 'Alien' when it VERY first came out. There wasn't a lot of buzz about it until people started . . . seeing it. The place was crazy full because it was an old-time reel real time huge one screen dinosaur place. People were SCREAMING, and not just the chest scene. It was so great. Probably one of the best movie experiences of my life. "Run!" "Get out of there!" "Jones! The cat! Get the cat!" "OH, MY GOD!" People were white-knuckling their armrests and peeking through their fingers. It wasn't rude STFU annoying, just came out collectively at all the right times and then people were quiet as church mice. That flick still holds up after all this time, but seeing it in the movies when it was NEW was really something.

Does anyone think Lambert was raped with the alien's tail? There's a lot of debate about that. Plus, the actor who played the alien, Bolaji Badejo, poor guy died young of sickle cell anemia. And he was an artist, too. F that disease.

#20 jetophile, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018