Awesome win for these young Jets!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 1, 2017.

1. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I get what you’re saying but don’t agree that there’s no chance we can make the playoffs this season. I would have laughed at myself a few weeks ago but even in our losses we played better than I thought we would. Who knows how it turns out but you can’t “tank” the season now after starting 2-2 with Cleveland on deck

I still would play Petty or Hack as I don’t think they’re much of a downgrade anyway if the goal is to win now which I guess it is for them

But I understand not switching yet at this point

Hard for me to criticize them for winning with young players overall

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

We won't really know until two weeks from now. The first five games of the schedule was always going to be the easiest, and a lot of people who predicted 2-14 thought that the 2 would happen in the first five games. I just think some folks are overrating the team based on a win over a clearly bad Miami team, and a Jacksonville team that didn't take advantage of plenty of opportunities the Jets offered them. Cleveland of course is extremely bad, so at this point a 3-2 record after next week wouldn't be a big surprise, but I still wouldn't take it very seriously. At this point I still think there's no chance that they make the playoffs. If they're 4-2 in two weeks I'll change that opinion.

Cman68 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. King Koopa

You’re probably right but I’ve seen teams built like us sneak in before...I wouldn’t bet on it but you have to understand it from their perspective. They are paid to win and perform..coaches and players are in it for their livelihood and might be gone from the Jets tomorrow while we’re here for life

I just can’t really fault them for trying to win at this point in the season...if they’re still playing Mccown at 3-7 or something then yeah I’ll join in with the pitchforks and torches...but until then...

All Gas No Shake and truthbtold like this.
  4. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I never thought we'd have a legit shot at the first three picks, so I'm rooting for every win we can get. I expected us to be 2-3 or 3-2 after five games, and figured we'd go on to win at least 5 games. I always thought these predictions of 1-15 or 2-14 were absolutely ridiculous.

Look at last season ...

The worst QB play in the league.
    The worst secondary play in the league.
    Possibly the slowest stable of linebackers in the league.
    The worst turnover differential in the league.
    The most drops in the league.
    A fractured locker room.
    An impossible first half schedule.

And we STILL managed to win five games.

We're in an 11 game stretch now, where we only go on the road 3 times (@Cleveland, @Miami,@TB) and we have our BYE. That's HUGE in the NFL. We're going to win too many games to pick in the top three. Enjoy the wins.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd enjoy the wins if Petty or Hack were getting them. As it stands now, I'm happy our young players are playing well, but if we go 8-8 with McCown playing all season I'll be furious.

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Honestly to me it's a loser mentality to be rooting for the tank IN SEPTEMBER. If the team's 3-9 going into December fine, divebomb off the ledge all you want. But people who cry tank just don't get the part about losing that sucks is you can't have losing 'and' your young players doing well, it doesn't work that way. Either you want Adams, Maye, Lee, Leonard Williams, Powell/McGuire, etc to do well and they get a few wins, or you don't and it probably means most of them suck.

I was excited for the win today and I'm someone that was ambivalent about the season and was just glad the team won last week to take the pressure off the 0-16 garbage hype.

And also this idea you can't get a franchise QB outside the top ten is ludicrious anyway. The league's filled with guys drafted outside the top ten who are good-great QB's. The only Super Bowl winning QB's drafted in the top ten the last two decades are both named Manning.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  7. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

I've been banging the Petty drum since last year ... but these bastards refuse to give him a fair shot. I have a feeling you're going to be furious. Maybe not 8-8 furious ... but possibly 5-11 / 6-10 furious.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I figure if we're on the 5-11 or 6-10 track Petty will get a chance to play in the second half of the season. Hopefully I'm not overestimating the coaching staff.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well done Zach. Best description of tanking 101 for dummies ever. Love it......absolutely, positively love it. Cleveland says hello Zach. They are trapped in that loop for ever.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Amen to that. Well said.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sort of reminds me of the 2011 Titans. They didn't get in but they finished 9-7 with an old Hasselback throwing 18 touchdowns to 14 picks. Didn't do anything spectacular. No standout pass rusher, one middle of the road receiver who overachieved, but they collectively played good football.

I don't think we'll quite get to 9-7, but it's fun to see inspired football at the very least.

I, along with a lot of the fan base, sort of expected this team to just lay down and take it. It's a good omen for Bowles at least, to have his players playing hard for him. He took one dumb timeout that worked out for him at the end of the second half.

I've been his biggest critic, but he's coaching decently enough through four games so far. It MIGHT just benefit this franchise to keep him around and keep the continuity going especially for the sake of the young players.

SOJAZ and King Koopa like this.
  12. King Koopa

I hear ya..I was against the McCown signing from the start and still feel that way but if we go 8-8 with shitty McCown at QB we would have to be doing something right/ be on the right path somewhere, right?

Bad teams also with McCown at QB should theoretically go like 4-12 at best so what gives if we are “good enough” to get 8 wins?

I, like most Jet fans, was very happy to see us finally cut the cord and go with the rebuild for this season. It was definitely needed to reset and start planning for the future with the a young core, but I never thought it was necessary to lose every damn game also.

Of course it’s better to have the top draft pick but it’s definitley not a make or break situation. Between free agents or trades (Cousins?) and this draft having a bunch of 1st-2nd rounders at the QB position, I’m not going to sweat us playing well and getting some wins this season. Some might argue it will help in landing some big time free agents as well as just having more winning players to build with

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The Jets win, the Pats lose, and the Giants/Marshall are 0-4 what a good day! Enjoy the day Jets fans.

Congratulations on a hard fought victory and Bill Belichick wants to know if the Pats can borrow your defense for Thursday nights game.

Go Jets! Beat the Browns next week!

14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The Cleveland Browns or the Cleveland Cavaliers? Because they both tanked and one has seen pretty positive results.

15. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

16. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I think we need to accept we're not the worst team in the league.

We're probably not even the worst team in the division.

Hell, we're not even the worst team in our stadium.

17. Patriot

If you beat Cleveland next, you will have a winning record. This team may not be a championship team, but they do have fight in them.

Now go tell those arrogant Giants fans that to enjoy Marshall and that the Jets are New York's team.

donkey likes this.
  18. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

First time in a couple of years I actually enjoyed the game. Young players on the whole playing hard and fast, you have to like the progression so far and let's hope if continues.

I agree re Petty that by week 8 if we are 3-5 we give him an extended look.

Adams and Maye look a fantastic hybrid to enjoy for many years.

Touched on player development and patience in another thread but who 3 years ago would have thought Winters would become the guard he has!

Still have many holes but in key areas we are building core starters and depth.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. Patriot

I think instilling a winning attitude is more important then getting the 1st selection in the 1st round.

I think Cousins is a bad idea. One free agent who I believe has much more potential then Cousins is Jimmy G of the Pats. If Brady continues to play, which he might since the Pats are not winning the SB this year, are the Patriots really going to put the franchise tag on Jimmy G?

Mogriffjr likes this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The team is playing hard, long may that continue. They've won 2 of the easiest games on their schedule and played well in them but are a still a poor team. It's a good sign for the future that they are being as competitive as they have looked in the last two weeks. I hope that they are that this competitive when the schedule gets tougher, even if it results in losses, because that would be a great sign for the future.

I know everyone is riled at the QB issue but McCown is actually playing pretty well. He's far from a liability out there and looks a world away from the McCown of repute that we were all expecting. I still expect to see Petty out there by the bye week.

hwismer and ColoradoContrails like this.