The Deal with Chad...and Playcalling

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsTillDeath, Nov 20, 2006.

1. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I posted this in another thread, but thought i would put it out there to get a response:

Chad needs to be able to step into his throws, thats why against teams like the Bears, Browns and Jags, who bring the heat, he ends up throwing flat footed and with his arm. its pretty simple actually. Look at all his great throws, SD playoff game to Moss, he steps up and fires. In game 1 this year vs the Titans, he stepped up and delivered two beautiful throws. Defenses know this, they blitz causing him to throw off his back foot, subsequently he is inaccurate and and lacks velocity. Its just the way he is, kind of sux, but the blue print for beating him was established against the Raiders in the playoffs in '02, I have watched the tape numerous times as I record every game to analyze, blitz him and sit on his short and intermediate routes. Every once in a while, the blitz is picked up and someone gets free to make a play i.e. Coles againts the Pats in week 2.

I am a fan of Chads, always have been. I have faith that he can get the job done, but he needs to start playing more with his gut and heart, and less with his head. He outsmarted himself on his first INT yesterday. I watched the play like 15 times after the game, and I still am not so sure what his read was, they were rolling coverage into the middle of the end zone and Urlacher was sitting in a zone, he never even looked off the safety which MUST be done in order to make that throw. I would have thrown a fade to challenge their DB's, or audibled into something other then the play that was run, it was pretty glaring Baker was NOT going to be open. If chad is going to be successful he needs to play football more and think less. He is known as a smart QB with a soft arm, well he needs to become more instinctual.

All game they were allowing Chad to make long snap counts, so he could read the defense and identify pressure. This completely goes against what Schotts was saying a few weeks back about Chad needing to think less and simplify things more...cannot understand it.

Also, WHAT IS UP WITH RUNNING OFF TACKLE, THROWING SCREEN PASSES TO OUR WIDEOUTS AGAINST THE BEARS! These plays take way to long to develop against a fast, instinctive defense. You need to hit them hard and quick, off guard and off center, stay in these gaps, and they run off tackle when you have them fooled. Off tackle runs worked in the 1st quarter, then (as I watched on the tape after the game lastnight) in the 2nd-4th qts the Bears allowed there end to breathe out a bit and their outside LB's to play zone more allowing them to step up and stop those runs. I was very dissapointed we did not make an adjustment to counter this.

Lets hope they learned something.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ALL urlacher did in the end zone was watch his eyes.....CP was locked in on the receiver from the snap....

against the aggressive D's, as a QB, you lock in a bit early on the receivers which gives the opposing pass defense an advantage. as the saying goes the secondary is only as good as your pass rush.

you make some good points in the post and IMO having a QB like CP limits your playbook and puts your offense at a disadvantage against the really good defenses.

roll outs, 25 yard stick throws, and seam routes are virtually non-existent in the jet offense. if i am a defensive coord - i am skipping that part of the game plan for my defense when i play the jets.

jil

3. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Yea, he def locked in. You can see it in the replay they show from Chad's POV, Urlacher just reading he eyes. I still just do not understand what read Chad made. After the game he was saying that he made the wrong read, or the read told him to look that way, I am just not sure what he is talking about. I wish I could post the replay or that exact play, anyone who looks at it will see they were crowding the middle of the field and the safeties and corner never rolled out in the flats.

Anyway, I guess you just move on. Chad is by far our best option at QB right now. I have been a fan of his since he was drafted and I am not going to be giving up on him this late in the game. He needs to have another 300yd day very soon.

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

right on...i noticed that too..

and its funny how Schott and Mangini said that Penny often tries to do too much with his eyes which leads him to making mistakes...he did absolutely nothing on that INT to Urlacher that would have made him think he wasnt going over the middle...horrible use of his eyes...

5. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Good post. Chad's always been a bit "too smart" for his own good, overthinking things. That was what Herm called him out for before he had his breakout season. Hopefully he can get back to that.

As for Urlacher's INT I was watching M&M and they had Theismann on who said in the redzone you sort of have to lock on to a receiver because you have less time and it's easier for the D to react due to having to move shorter distances. Not excusing it, just pointing out something I thought was interesting.

6. GreenMachine

Herm calling someone out for being too smart?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Strange but true :)

And keep in mind people tried to use that to say Herm never really liked Chad and that Chad's success was pure luck under Herm instead of the fact that Herm actually noticed something and was able to "coach" Chad to be a better player, even if it wasn't something Chad was able to do continuously. Injuries could play a role there too because whenever you come back from injury it's quite normal to think too much.

8. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Yea, I guess as I think about it, its tough to look off a safety when your on the 5 yard line and running a quick slant with your TE. However, I would have stayed out of the middle of the field all together, throw the fade to ensure yourself of at least 3.

9. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

Two things that bothered me:

The onside kick at the beginning of the second half. What was the point of that? It seemed like the Paul Hackett days where he would go conservative all game but then have one really aggressive play. That kick led to a Bears fieldgoal eventually.

The second was how they got to about the Bears 33 yard line (just barely in fieldgoal range) and they would either commit penalties or get sacked, stuffed or anyother way a team could lose yardage. When they did get passed that line twice, it led to interceptions. Chad is so good in that area and I think hes pretty decent at closing out drives. I dont think I've ever said this about Pennington but I believe he choked under pressure. Although the Jets were underdogs, many people believed they could win that game and IMO the Jets beat themselves. Hopefully he can refocus next week.

10. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Theismann's point was sort of that you have such little margin of error that if you try to look someone off and then back you can easily lose that window of opportunity.

That being said I'm with you on staying out of the middle since it's usually quite congested that close to the goalline.

11. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

:up: And if I recall correctly, Urlacher is the best in the business. One thing postive about the rest of the season, we don't have to see any one else at his talent level of reading QB's. But that's just my two cents.

12. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I'm sorry, but anyone would have made that play. You blast a rookie for that type of mistake, you don't even expect that out of a 7 year veteran. That's just ridiculous.

13. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Great post JTD. What happened to the play action pass yesterday? I watched over the internet so I might have missed it, but it didn't look like Chad pulled off that great hard fake at all.

TBTF

14. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I don't think it was ever used at all, and I wondered at that myself. I guess they thought the Bears D was too fast or something, but I don't understand why they'd think that.

15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

interesting points, except you ignore the fact that he does not possess the arm strength to put velocity on his throws. the defense can skip a lot of stuff when you start a guy at qb who handcuffs the offense in terms of what plays you can't call. :sad:

16. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Also if he had been looking Coles was open

17. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

yep...a little fade to the back corner of the endzone would have put 6 on the board...its a damn shame he locked in on his primary

18. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

While he sometimes throws to Coles at the wrong times (when triple covered), he needs to look for Coles first on every play. He's his best weapon. And they need to take some deep shots to at least loosen up the defense.

19. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

How are they going to take shots with noodle arm? Coles is one of the faster WRs in the game, but you wouldn't know it watching a Jets game. Santana Moss is a pro bowl WR, but you wouldn't have known that watching him on the Jets either. It's ridiculous that we build an offense around Pennington when it would make so much more sense to just upgrade that position and take advantage of the team's strengths. I don't know how CuMart ran for so many yards with 8 in the box all the time, he should go to the Hall of Fame just for managing that with noodle arm on his team the last few years of his career.

20. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

I think they went play action once and it was on the play that Chad threw the INT. It was play action to a screen pass to Baker. Ferguson faked the pull block and turned to block the end but it was to late. This is what I mean when I say they were running plays that took to long to develop, ughhh. If they kept banging them with runs up the middle, the play action would have been more effective. Arm chair QB I guess is a bit easier, but it looked obvious to me.