One thing to consider if the jets show signs of life..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 26, 2017.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

We will be looking for free agents this off season and it will be much easier to attract them if the team wins a few games and shows that they are heading in the rite direction. Granted I want that fqb as much as anyone but tanking is not how the game is played. Ask Adams to tank the game and see what he has to say. Not to mention these two qb may not even enter the draft. Then what do you do...tank another season. I say play to win and let the chips fall as the may.

I know many of you may disagree with me, but I still want to see what petty can do. To me he has looked better each game he has played. I feel the focus should be on getting petty playing time...not hackenberg.

2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Can't disagree with you, never know what might happen. Hell for all we know we can win a few games drop in the draft order, and end up with Rudolph or Jackson or Mayfield, etc and they can turn out to be really good while Darnold and Rosen could be busts, or just mediocre. Or as the season continues and the combine rolls around and personal workouts etc. the entire big board could take a huge turn and suddenly Darnold isn't the top QB prospect anymore and somehow falls, etc. shit like that always happens.

At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter what we think as a fan base or forum board, the players are playing to win, even if we don't want them to; there is nothing we can do about that, so might as well just enjoy the ride and let the season/off-season play out.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If we are good enough to play our way out of a franchise QB in the draft, we could possibly have enough cap space to sign Kirk Cousins.

Then we could use the draft to build around him.

4. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Kirk Cousins or Le'Veon Bell need to be sought after heavily(Either or I dont know if we could afford both)

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't want either and neither will be any good behind the garbage we have on the offensive line. Bell is a suspehsion away and Cousin is helter skelter and will cost upwards of 30 million a year. If neither comes with an offensive head coach that would be another reason to pass. Don't want Bowles or that burnt out QB coach ruining them

6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I remember reading and hearing how players were going to" WANT to come here and play for Rex" . "They are going to take less money to come here and play " -----> how did that work out ? The bottom line with FA is ca$h, pay them and they will come . Would a guy consider signing with the Patriots or another better team for less money because he has a shot at a ring = yes,,,,is a guy gonna sign with the Jets because they won 5 games = probably not,,,,,just my opinion

#6 CBG, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I think what is most important when it comes to attracting FA's is having the right system in place. Now, I'll leave it up to you to determine if Mac is the right guy to be recruiting FA's for this team, but the correct system will make all of the difference. If we just start throwing money around like we have many times in the past, we'll end up with another stint of short term success/long term failure.

I would really rather make an ultimate determination of our GM before we dive into Free Agency? I want the guy that's going to put the right guys (and hopefully younger players) in the right spots to lead us in the direction of long term success or a consistent high enough level of play to make us a perennial playoff team.

Brook! likes this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Tanking and having the young core of your roster play well are independent of each other. I think most fans would love to see the players play well but ultimately lose because its the best of both worlds. Your franchise has a developing talented core but you still get to secure a top pick to get a young QB to take you to the next level. As for Hack and Petty, I really don't believe Jets see Petty as anything more than a backup but I too would have liked to see him get some starting time. Ultimately, I still think he does see the field this season, just don't know when.

In terms of Hack, well everything that could go wrong with his development has. He and the team are at fault for that

9. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

While not wanting to put the cart before the horse, This has to be back-up plan #1

#9 Endlessly Counting, Sep 27, 2017
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We are a bad football team. Let me repeat. We Are A Bad Football Team. After we looked as bad as advertised the first two weeks, I thought posters wouldn't overstate a win over a Dolphins team that didn't show up to play. I thought wrong.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great thread OP and I agree.
    That's not the point. The point is it is better to play like the Jets did Sunday and hopefully a few more times this season, than be a complete mess 0-16 team. It is nice to see pieces are here and a bond is forming. It could attract Free Agents in 2018, where as a mess would not.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It'll be a tough bidding war though as Washington has only $5 million less in cap space than we do. The only other key free agents they have are their starting guard Shawn Luvao and Terrelle Pryor who was on a one year deal anyways.

I imagine they prioritize Kirk's extension, but they haven't done so the past two years and have grossly mismanaged the situation. So I could see Kirk just saying F this and moving on.

The 49ers also have $40 million in cap space as well and they appear to be the front runner.

I would sign up for Cousins in a heartbeat. Give him a comparable contract to Russell Wilson.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/russell-wilson-9885/

JetBlue likes this.
  13. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

while the jets are not a good football team, they are not necessarily a bad team. and i know that makes me sound like a complete homer but if you take a real look at the team they have a lot of young pieces in place that can develop into strong players in the future. if the team continues to progress like they have from from week 2 to week 3, then we can at least look forward to hopefully competing next year. the real question as always is the offense but i really liked the playcalling this week and if they can keep mixing it up on offense the jets have a chance to at least remain competitive.

they will not win a lot of games, but there is no room for tanking. players cannot tank, they are all independent contractors. a bad stretch during a season can ruin a players career or severely reduce his market value. coaches cannot ever expect players to tank and in the case of the jets this year where our coaches also need to prove themselves they cannot put forth any less than their best effort every week.

whether or not the dolphins showed up is another question. did they take the jets too lightly? maybe. but maybe they got punched in the mouth and never recovered. football is a physical game and when players are thinking about whos going to hit them next they make mistakes, take plays off, modify their routes, etc. all of those things can lead to a team going out of sync and looking like they didnt prepare.

im not going to expect the jets to dominate anybody else this season, well maybe the browns, but i do expect them to build on a strong performance where players knew their assignments and played their parts. if the jets can do that, i think bowles will be back next year with the expectation of competing for a playoff spot.

the real wildcard here of course is the qb. the jets need to find a qb or everything is for naught.

Jetmart15 likes this.
  14. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Good point, there's more than one way to get there from here. And so many posters have their heart set on an FQB messiah to lead the franchise out of the wilderness, which may or may not happen. To them I have two words: Mark Sanchez.

Probably the best scenario is for McCown to win a few games to a.) help give the fans a reason to keep coming; and b.) prove to everyone there are some toys already in the bag. When the worm turns, as it likely will, get Petty on the field and let him develop. It's time to shit or get off the pot with him. If he's a keeper, great. If not, it hopefully won't hurt the draft position.

#14 LarryAlRalph, Sep 27, 2017
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

How does everyone feel about Jacoby Brissett? IF we play are way out of the running for the California boys (still my preference) chances are the Colts will trade him away after the season once Luck is healthy again. More of a risk but probably cheaper then Cousins. Looked pretty good sunday (mind you it's the Browns) but if he keeps playing well this seaosn might not be a bad move.

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yep. I think a lot of posters have to temper their expectations. We played a team that looked uninterested, has a QB that was set to be a broadcaster and his arm looks way worse. Everything that could go right went right against the dolphins and that’s a credit to the players and the coaches. But I have to see that kind of performance consistently and against teams that aren’t frauds (like the dolphins) before I get too amped up about the prospects of being legitimate. Nothing wrong with enjoying a win versus the dolphins, but I don’t think we’ll be winning too often this season.

Which to me is a good thing assuming we can also see a team that fights and develops but ultimately loses because they simply don’t have the talent just yet.

It would be the best of both worlds scenario imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am absolutely sick of bringing in a high priced free agent especially a QB e.g. K Cousins

Yes the guy is a winner but he is a short term answer and the cost is prohibitive

Tanny started this trend when he brought B Favre here at great cost and this created really nothing for us in terms of playoffs etc.

Build with the Draft and with your young players

Suck for Sam! Suck for Rosen!

And btw we do suck

When the Browns upset us people will look back on the Miami win in amazement

18. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Win games and show me some quality football. Show me this team is worth a damn. Fuck tanking for some supposed franchise QB that probably doesn't even exist. What round was Aaron Rodgers drafted? What round was Russel Wilson, Tom Brady? Now tell me what round was Ryan Leaf drafted? I'd rather this team show me it has a foundation to build on and win a few games instead of play garbage football all year, and take for a guy who is going to stay at school or turn out to be a bust.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Free agents are not going to be attracted to the Jets. Even if they lose all games or have a successful season. The coach and GM have the personality of grass. The Giants are the attraction in New York. The Jets are fooling themselves thinking they are 1) Going to get a franchise QB. 2) Get the players that will take this franchise to the next level. Winning last week was just a band aid. There are many more disgusting losses ahead.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Bad Jay Cutler has fans thinking we have a shot.....Jax is gonna steamroll us.Did anyone watch the Ravens game highlights?lol it was pure destruction

boozer32 likes this.