One thing I worry about with Pennington.... (bash me if you will)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsIn2004, Nov 20, 2006.

1. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

He's had 2 surgeries, we all know that. That, in itself, does not worry me. I think he showed earlier in the season that he can play when his shoulder is feeling good.

However, the thing that worries me is that it's getting colder each week. I've had 3 operations on my right knee from injuries catching when I played baseball. I know, it's not exactly the same, BUT I know this... it's 11 years since my last surgery, and I know one thing. The colder it gets, the harder it is to loosen up.. to the point where some days it doesn't feel good at all. It's NOT CONSISTENT either.. One day it can be cold and pouring and feel good, and the next it feels like crap. It's arthritis, and it seems to set in after any surgery regardless the age (I'm only 3 years older than Pennington, and I've had this since the surgeries).

I know I am not a doctor, and I'll get bashed for this, but I wonder if, as the weather gets colder, coupled with the fatigue of playing all these games, if his shoulder some days just isn't "right" if you know what I mean. It seems on those days, he's scared to throw the ball. Yesterday seemed like one of those days. The New England game did not look like it as much.

Go ahead, have at me. I don't think Pennington is hurt again, nor do I think he sucks. I do think, at this point in his career/life, his shoulder is going to be a day to day thing and not predictable. With mine, on the days it is not feeling good, I can still do things, and fight through it (it's not awful), but it's just not the same if you know what I mean.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think he's lost some life in his arm which was to be expected and that has made all the difference from playing so well early on and playing poorly recently.

3. LWC611

LWC611 Member

I did not find him to be scared to throw the ball. He made poor decsions and poor throws. He missed receivers all day and his two picks were very poor decisions. When he threw the red zone pick, he had Coles wide open in the corner of the endzone. The other pick, well we need not discuss that one. You may be right about the impact of the surgeries.

4. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

He looked scared to throw it deep yesterday. Everything was a dink and dunk, and he did not want to go out to the numbers. I have a feeling he saw Coles but didn't think he could get the ball there.

5. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I thought the exact same thing. It seems he would have had to zip the ball with touch into the corner of the endzone. Yesterday he had neither zip nor touch.

6. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think he was fired up coming out to open the season, but he's lost his enthusiasm - look at him on the sidelines, he's a shadow of the guy we used to love to see waving that towel, getting in people's faces and motivating the side. Early in Q4, down 3 he looked as if he was resigned to defeat, that was saddening.

7. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Then don't you think he could get it back? Remember people Chad hasn't played THAT much football. And not alot the past two years. Chad could still be learning what to do on the field. We all thought he was done for when the season starterd. But now we sit at 5-5 after beating NE and going head to head with the Bears, Colts, and Pats. And we may be wanting more than we can take at the moment.

8. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Here is what REALLY worries me about Chad: If he WAS hurt, would he admit it, or would he try to play hurt?

9. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Chad's arm strength when he was healthy was a issue. After 2 Shoulder surgeries he's shot. The constant 8 yd out patterns are proof enough. He shouldn' be our starter if we have SB asperations in 08'

10. SonofDinger

Well, judging by his history, he would not admit it until the arm actually falls off his body

11. shabbtastic

shabbtastic Well-Known Member

I'm sick of the excuses, that "dink & dunk" shit is sooo frustrating to watch. He can't chuck it down field.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No way he would admit it. That would result in the loss of his job and career in New York.

He would and possibly is going out there hurt to keep his job.

Mangini doesn't fool around though, a bad game vs. Houston, See ya Chad.

I think Pennington can respond though.

13. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Chad NEEDS to be able to step into his throws, thats why against teams like the Bears, Browns and Jags, who bring the heat, he ends up throwing flat footed and with his arms. its pretty simple actually. Look at all his great throws, SD playoff game to Moss, he steps up and fires. In game 1 this year vs the Titans, he stepped up and delivered two beautiful throws. Defenses know this, they blitz causing him to throw off his back foot, subsequently he is inaccurate and and lacks velocity. Its just the way he is, kind of sux, but the blue print for beating him was established against the Raiders in the playoffs in '02, I have watched the tape numerous times as I record every game to analyze, blitz him and sit on his short and intermediate routes. Every once in a while, the blitz is picked up and someone gets free to make a play i.e. Coles againts the Pats in week 2.

I do not believe the cold weather has anything to do with it, he has plenty of time to warm up.

14. SonofDinger

Great point, JTD. The effect of QB pressure isn't as pronounced and apparent as it with other QBs (see Grossman), but it still gets to him. Penny also becomes very tentative in these situations.

OTOH, I still think there's something to the surgery recovery factor.

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

while i think you're right about Mangini, i also think that's our problem with Chad: so what if he plays decent/well against Houston? the next time he faces a Playoff caliber D, he'll get trumped because he either can't or is afraid to throw the ball deep.

yesterday he almost hit Cotchery deep in the 1st Quarter. other than that, there wasn't any threat. and our WR's aren't to blame for that, neither is the OL, nor the running game. regardless of whether or not he completes a bunch of deep passes, just attempting them stretches a D and keeps them honest. right now, i think any really good D isn't worried about Chad beating them deep because he won't even try.

cheers

16. Jetsman5137

Jetsman5137 New Member

My theory is that Chad hasnt played an entire season yet, hes not used to playing this much in one year. The NE game came after a bye week so he had his chance to rest. So maybe hes just not fit enough to play a whole season at 100%

17. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Chad has enough of the mental tools to continue to make it in the NFL. He's a good decision maker and makes good reads at the line. However, I believe that a QB must possess at least one of the following two PHYSICAL attributes in order to take his team to the next level in the nfl: mobility and/or canon arm.

Each of these characteristics allows a QB to be creative... to make something out of nothing, when nothing really exists. It is unrealistic to expect every offensive play to be orchestrated perfectly. Receivers slip and fall. Tight ends miss blocks. There may be a mixup on the route. The D may make a great play. The fact that Chad lacks mobility and a rocket arm means he cannot creatively recover on a play gone bad. He also lacks the ability to force the action, and fit the ball into tight spaces DOWNFIELD when the play breaks down.

Unfortunately Chad will never magically learn to gun it like Favre or scamper like Vick. He is what he is. The players surrounding him MUST execute their roles TO PERFECTION and the defense must rarely make a great play if Chad to be successful.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I htink thats a pretty fair assesment...I dont think its the cold as much either, I just think either his arm is fatigued or its hurt again

19. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Jets in '04, interesting point. That said, Chad got picked by Urlacher because his eyes were locked on Baker and he threw where he looked. The pick in the third quarter was a "I'll try to make something happen instead of throw the ball away" type of deal, and he paid for it.

Interestingly, both picks were on balls intended for Baker. I wonder if the Bears read a key that gave away the destination of the throws to Baker.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think with the second pick, Chad tried to throw it away, not expecting anyone to be in that part of the field.