Decision to Punt on 4th and 7

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I know it's not really worth second guessing the coach this year, but that was one of the oddest decisions I have seen.

What was strange was that Morton/McCown looked like he ran a play thinking it was 4 down territory on the 3rd and 20

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

It was 4 down territory. But Bowles is a moron.

xxedge72x, ajax, boozer32 and 4 others like this.
  3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Bowles claims he was playing the field position game - yet we were done 9.

He's just clueless, he coaches to not lose rather than to win, can't coach like that and expect to survive in the NFL.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing to myself when we booted the all away, but we've punted in the wrong situation before under Bowles, and went for it in the wrong situation under Bowles as well so I wasn't surprised.

It's not that he doesn't have the gonads to go for it as we saw when he went for it against the Bills that first game in 2015, he just has no concept of what to do when. And that playcall was dreadful the Brandon Marshall on the line screen pass. Smh.

5. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Just a awful call that was game over and show he has not faith in the offense bowles is way to conservative dont worry only 15 games or less left of bowles

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

yeah that punt was uncalled for. same with the 2 pt attempt. oh well, it doesn't matter.

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I would have went for it.

8. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

It's stupid to worry about field position with four minutes left. If they get one first down the game's over anyway, doesn't matter where the ball is at that point :p

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

And we were down 9 because Bowles has no clue how to use 2 point conversions.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well it's obvious that the biggest mistake was retaining Bowles after last season. He is simply not HC material.

Thank god I couldn't watch it!

june19 likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It's very sad when a Fan Board shows more common sense

Down by 9 with 4 min left ...Nothing to lose by dialing your best play for 7 yards (hmmm do they have one to use???)

This is really pathetic...but an ongoing mess

Will Bowles last the season.? They must have decided to make him a fall guy and get one of the FQBs

So be it

12. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

I hate to beat this dead horse, but they were down 9 because they gave up another TD, and because they missed the conversion. They're still fucked whether it fails with 15 minutes on the clock or 4.

Of course, the ENTIRE ADVANTAGE of going for it early, is to know whether or not you need 2 scores EARLY, so you can game plan around it, rather than have it fail with a minute on the clock and then you need a low-odds onside kick. So with the entire 4th to plan for two scores, he fucking punts. That pisses me off more than going for it early.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Obviously giving up the TD is the big problem but you have to consider the worst case scenario when deciding to go for two or kicking the XP. In one scenario you are only down by one score if they get a TD and in the other you are down by two scores. Therefore you choose the one that will only have you down by one score in the event they score a TD rather than the one that leaves you down by two scores.

Especially when you consider the best case scenario of being tied or being down 1 with the entire 4th quarter is identical -- they still needed a score in both of those situation to win. They needed the exact same thing to win whether down by one or tied -- one more score. But missing the 2 point conversion left them in a much more significant disadvantage in the worst case scenario than kicking the XP, which is why you kick the XP.

Just because they actually gave up the worst case scenario doesn't absolve the decision making that creates a two score deficit after giving it up which could have been avoided.

MoWilkBeast, Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned with going for 2. You have to remember the new extra points aren't sure things either, especially with Catanzaro who has a big leg but misses badly sometimes. At some point we had to go for 2, so if Bowles wants to do it early that's fine. OTOH punting down by 2 scores was incredibly stupid.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

For fans to understand this and TB having a hard time with it, is disappointing.

It not that hard to understand, you have 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, your offense is having a difficult time generating offense against the front 4 of the bills defense.

Keep it a one score game, they had the whole 4th quarter, even with the bills scoring a TD which was worst case scenario, they are still within striking distance.

Asking the offense to get two scores, that was going to take a miracle.

#15 Red Menace, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    JetBlue likes this.
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Again given the roster choices this off-season it could be difficult for him to lose his job.

However, decisions like this continue to demonstrate how incompetent this guy is. Seriously. Absolutely clueless. Would prefer him fired. I don't see him being capable of learning

17. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

48% vs 94%.

It put them in a situation to have to score a TD, kick an extra point, and then kick a FG if the Bills scored. Guess what, the Bills scored.

JetBlue likes this.
  18. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Only if you assume they'll make the 2pt conversion. The actual worst case scenario in either case is that the conversion fails and they're still down 2.

If you were arguing that maybe the Dolphins miss an extra pt and the Jets would only be down 7 if they had kicked the PAT, that's one thing (and I'd probably agree). But no one has mentioned that; everyone seems to be assuming they have to go for two at some point in the game, and in that case it's a question of going for it early or going for it late, and call me an idiot but I think going for it early is defensible. As I said, my biggest problem is that the reason to go for it early is to gameplan around needing another score if you fail, but then Bowles' 4th quarter game plan didn't reflect that.

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

On the other hand, Bowles is going to need to commit murder for the Jets to be able to compete this season. Not that he's smart enough to get away with it.

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

With the way it was going, probably would have been just another swing pass anyway, but still...

The problem with that logic is one score-two scores changes the entire complexion of the game earlier than it needs to be changed. It takes pressure off the Bills and puts more pressure on the Jets to operate quicker.

JetBlue likes this.