Predict the 2017 Jets Record:

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 3, 2017.

?

What will the 2017 Jets record be?

Poll closed Sep 10, 2017.
  1. (10-6) or Better

4.5%
  2. (9-7)

0.9%
  3. (8-8)

0.9%
  4. (7-9)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. (6-10)

7.2%
  6. (5-11)

6.3%
  7. (4-12)

26.1%
  8. (3-13)

23.4%
  9. (2-14) or Worse

30.6%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it wouldn't be awesome. It would be a gross overachievement. We wouldn't get a FQB in the draft, and more than likely, the rebuild would be over, and we'd be right back to the same nonsense as before.

2. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Won't happen since Pats will be going for 16-0

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

0-0-16
    Every game ends in a 0-0 tie

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

another word for it is... catastrophe. The result of that record would be exactly as you predict and we'll still be the unchallenged rulers of Palookaville. go jetz

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yeah, I was at that game - mid-November and it was absolutely freezing at Shea, with the winds being unbelievable. 17-0 loss to Seattle. All things considered, that was undoubtedly my worst in-person sports experience ever. (Obviously I was never a Jets season ticket holder, since there have of course been far worse.)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If the Jets win 10 games, it would mean they are on the right track and Bowles has figured out how to coach. Also likely means Petty or Hackenberg were inserted and played well. That would definitely be awesome. You are assuming it would be a fluke and the roster is awful. Maybe it is not and the young guys step up. All that is hypothetical and unlikely, just saying nothing wrong with a fan hoping to win. Not every person has to be jaded, cynical and negative. I like seeing people being positive.

Red Menace and hwismer like this.
  7. Cman68

Lets see how you feel in 2047...

Red Menace, SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Champ territory :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    :mad:

Cman68 likes this.
  9. Cman68

None of us will be around to know.. I guess we'll just have to depend on TDK's honesty. :)

The Dark Knight and Walt White like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It could mean that they are on the right track, but it could also mean that it was a fluke just like the 2015 season was.

Where I will agree with you is that it would likely mean that Petty or Hackenberg was starting and playing at a high level, and that would be awesome if it meant that he was truly our FQB going forward, and not just a fluke or one-year wonder. The danger is that Petty or Hack could have a career year as Fitz did in 2015, and then revert to form in 2018. That career year could make Woody, Bowles and Mac think we had found our FQB and totally change the team's strategy and approach going into the 2018 season. At a minimum, it would probably take us out of position to get a top QB, a top LT, a stud pass rusher, #1 WR or RB in 2018.

I'll say that if the Jets win 10 games it also means that the OL was playing much better than we thought it would or even could, and the mistakes by our young players were relatively few.

It could also mean that Bowles had figured out how to coach, but not necessarily. Whether it would mean that would depend more if his game planning, game management and clock management improved greatly. If they won 10 games, it would also mean that the team was prepared to play most weeks and/or that Bowles was able to make some in-game adjustments.

That said, a pick 6 or two from our young secondary or a long TD pass or two could go a long way in covering mistakes/incompetence by Bowles. It (winning 10 games) could simply be a result of the youthful vigor, energy and hunger of the young players seeking to make their way in the NFL. It could be, and I would say that it probably is also a matter of our talent level being better than we thought.

For certain, I think we have a LOT of talent on D. We know our DL is very strong. Adding Ealy should make the pass rush better. Having Greene as the OLB coach should also improve the pass rush coming from Jenkins, Donohue, Josh Martin or whomever is playing OLB. We won't have DBs dogging it. If Claiborne stays healthy, then our play at the #1 CB position should be a lot better. If Burris or whomever can give decent play in the #2 spot, then our pass D should be considerably better even with the weak link Skrine out there in the slot. Our rookie safeties will have some growing pains and make some rookie mistakes, but I believe that their play will be at least one if not two levels above anything we've seen in the last decade, and I expect a lot more interceptions from our secondary than we've seen in the past, including some pick 6s.

I think our offensive talent is better than many do. While I don't think much of our OL talent, I think we do have some talented young WRs and TEs. McGuire has shown some potential and we know that Powell is a good back that will make a very solid contribution. How much Forté has left in his tank could be key to the offense's efficiency and success.

In spite of the fact that I think our talent level is better than many posters, it's not that good. We need quality OTs. The C position may need a big upgrade. Who knows how much longer Carpenter will be with the team. Winters spot at RG could easily be upgraded. We need a #1 WR. We need a true starting-caliber RB who is both a good runner and receiver and who can take it to the house from anywhere on the field. We probably need a stud pass-rusher and may need one, if not two, new CBs. We need better STs, and could very easily need a better P, K and return man.

We all know that Woody isn't a very knowledgeable or astute owner and isn't very patient. If we finish at .500 or better, there's no way that I believe that Woody would continue with the youth movement. He would think that with a few additions in FA we're ready to be a playoff contender. I think he would order Mac to go all in in FA and the draft next year and expect the team to make the playoffs in 2018. IMO that would be the. worst. thing. that could possibly happen to the Jets. Woody and the Jets need to be patient and complete this rebuild in the right way. It needs to be done carefully and slowly, and not in a rushed or hurried fashion. A thorough evaluation of Bowles, his CS, Mac and the Scouting and Personnel Dept. needs to be made. We could have a very good core of young talent, but not the right CS to develop it. We could have some good coaches or coaching, but the talent be missing. The systems that Bowles employs may not fit or be suitable for our talent, or we may need better talent.

We don't need any more lipstick on the pig that is the NY Jets.

I don't think I'm jaded, cynical, or excessively negative. I think I'm realistic. In many ways, I've been one of the more positive posters here about Mac, Petty, Hack and the talent on the team. I have grown more negative or pessimistic as the seeming mistakes mount, and more head-scratching moves happen over the last couple of weeks, but I've bent over backwards earlier to give Mac every benefit of the doubt, and it's starting to get a little hard to do that.

It's very easy for fans to get caught up in the excitement of a new season, having new, fast, young players with potential and delude themselves into thinking that things are better than they are. There are things about this team which are improved, that can give us hope, and for which we can be thankful. There are also things that should be a concern for fans, and that are clearly distressing. There are also things that could go either way and bear close scrutiny.

I've been posting on Jets fan sites since the mid-90s. I know that a lot of fans want posts to be overwhelmingly positive and hopeful at the beginning of the season, as that helps them have hope and enjoy the season more, and they put their blinders on and then criticize anyone who dares to say anything more balanced or negative. But fan sites are for sunshiners, darksiders, doom an gloomers and in-betweeners.

Many of us have learned that it is better to not get too excited, hopeful or positive with the Jets because it almost always leads to disappointment and frustration.

#70 NCJetsfan, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I just don't see how the Jets will score any points. The offense is that bad.

2-14 and I'm being optimistic.

grkmanga31 and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

30 additional failing seasons you mean? Yeah, that would be difficult, even for me! I see what you mean. 50 years of losing, you have the perspective that sacrificing a year or 2 would pay off in the long run. You are not wrong about that. I guess I just hate the idea of losing on purpose. Maccagnan does too, so he stripped the team down so much they can't even win if they try! :D

I have Jets memories back to 1993 with Esiason. So I am not that young, I have seen some bad times. I want this team back on top as much as anyone. Maybe to do so they have to sacrifice the 2017 season. So be it, but I am not going to knock Jets fans cheering for them to win.

Yeah, understood. Good post! :cool:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

For the Jets to go 10-6, I agree that Bowles would've had to vastly improved - possible, but not very likely - and the young guys - especially Petty/Hack really stepped up - again, possible, but not very likely. But IF...IF...that happened, that would be a better outcome than a scenario where Bowles DOES improve his coaching, and the young guys DO step up, but they win say 5-6 games.

In the former case it wold mean that the Jets could count on Bowles and the players as sufficiently good enough to build on. In the latter case, it means they still need to add more than a few more pieces, but they'll be in a shitty draft position.

Of course, as NC pointed out, at 10-6, Woody would probably say "Enough with the rebuild. Let's go for it!" when they're not yet close enough to do that. And there is the very real danger that Petty/Hack had once-in-a-lifetime seasons and will never come close to repeating it, and they Jets aren't able to get - or decide to pass on - a FQB in the draft that they could truly build on.

Bottom line is that 10-6 would make a lot of fans happy during the season, but maybe not so much afterwards. Meanwhile 6-10 is the worst scenario IMO, meaning that while they're improving, they're still not very good, and they won't have the high draft position to fix it.

#73 ColoradoContrails, Sep 5, 2017
  14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I have this bad feeling that they'll surprise and win 6 games or so, just enough to take them out of contention for the top pick and miss on the top QB. If this happens, it's salvageable if Petty (can't even mention Hack as possibility now) plays extremely well, but a worst-case scenario if McCown somehow stays healthy and plays much of the season with some success

15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I say 3 wins maximum. Really don't want them winning more than 5 or losing them all.

Remember, this team not only has the least talented roster in football but the players are also very inexperienced as well.

They won't know what to do with leads if they get them, nor will they capitalize on the mistakes of the opposing team.

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

browns, jags, chargers, 2 games each bills and fins are all teams that suck as bad as we do. all could be wins plus the "any given sunday rule" so theoritcally we could win up to 8 games, but i voted 4-12. no way we are worse then last year. people thinking we are, are insane

17. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Did you go off your meds then?

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

2-14
    *fingers crossed*

grkmanga31 likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

4-12 is worse than last year

20. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Here is the schedule: Make your picks!
    Week 1: @ Bills - L
    Week 2: @ Raiders - L
    Week 3: vs Dolphins - L
    Week 4: vs Jaguars - W ??????
    Week 5: @ Browns - W
    Week 6: vs. Patriots - L
    Week 7: @ Dolphins - L
    Week 8: vs. Falcons - L
    Week 9: vs. Bills - L
    Week 10: @ Buccaneers - ???????
    Week 11: BYE
    Week 12: vs. Panthers - L
    Week 13: vs. Chiefs - L
    Week 14: @ Broncos - L
    Week 15: @ Saints - L
    Week 16: vs. Chargers - L
    Week 17: @ Patriots - L

I just have NO faith in this CS to 1) get the team prepared to play, 2) make in game adjustments to counter what the other team is doing and 3) OL is a mess and the starting QB is 38... enough said.

#80 SOJAZ, Sep 5, 2017
    Peebag likes this.