Petty FINALLY getting some respect..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Sep 1, 2017.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

So your excited that they say Petty has earned the backup#2 job?Keyword:Backup #2...Petty should be the #2 he's obviously light years ahead of Hack at this point.

Jets69 and Royal Tee like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Considering this entire "Qb Competition" was rigged from the start, I'm excited that Petty forced them to re-evaluate their Qb depth chart. Lord knows it must have really hurt Macc's heart that Hack wasn't ready to start this year while other young Qb's show much more poise and potential. Hack will most likely get his entire rookie contract to win the starting job. With any luck, Petty will be long gone by then OR firmly in the driver's seat at Qb. I wonder if they really had planned on releasing Petty today if Hack had shown even the slightest flicker of being able to start. Since that didn't happen, Macc was forced into plan b.

Royal Tee and nicg4360 like this.
  3. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what your fascination is with petty. The dude is like a wet cat out there, and he's fragile. Sorry, don't see it. For 40 years I've been watching this team make the same dumb moves, and people begging for the #2 QB to play, only to find out they're terrible. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#43 David-The-Meats-Harris, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Yankjetfan and Jets69 like this.
  4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Even Bowles seemed to reluctantly name Petty as the backup when he said Hackenberg would be ready if Petty can't make it next week and we all know it's only a matter of time before McGown is relegated to IR so we will probably see Petty sooner rather than later but with the pass blocking we have I wonder how log he will last too.

5. David-The-Meats-Harris

Hey maybe Brooks Bollinger is available.

6. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Petty looked really good moving around in the pocket vs the Giants. Even though it wasn't his flashiest play, the play where he pump faked, saw coverage, moved in the pocket, saw Ardarius wide open and tossed it for the easy TD was a type of play we haven't seen from a QB in a long time. Fitzpatrick and Hackenberg have been throwing to the first reads and sometimes even forcing it.

Petty took a little longer than is ideal, but we finally started to see true progress from him. Question is now whether to bank on it or let other teams trade a mid-round pick for him if even possible.

ajax, nicg4360 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Your post is exactly why I was rooting so hard for them to take Mahomes or Watson. MAYBE they wouldn't have worked out BUT:

1. So far bot are doing very with their respective teams and are way ahead of anything the Jets currently have.
    2. Based on the early reviews so far, Darnold, Allen, et. al. aren't walking on water as everyone claimed they would when they said teh Jets should pass on QB last draft.

You're exactly right why the consistently good teams do consistently well, and why the Jets do consistently poor-mediocre. They need to hire a Pres. of Football Ops who knows the pro game and has a vision and let him hire a GM/CS to implement it. Short of that, we're going to continue to witness poor-to-mediocre.

8. ColoradoContrails

When the #2 is clearly better than the #1 and #3 QBs, what else is there to root for?

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

You do have a point. As sad as it is, it's still true

10. Christian

Christian Active Member

I really don't think Petty has much of a shot of making it in the NFL, not in New York at least. But I think he's the perfect person to start instead of McCown. Quite frankly we aren't winning shit this season so why not let Petty have a chance to show he might be worth something to the Jets or another potential team.

Worst comes to worst he fails and doesn't make it once he's off the Jets but this likely would have happened anyway since he really never had a chance to start with some decent talent around him. The only upside I can see to starting McCown is that the younger talent on offense would have an easier time progressing with a veteran over a younger QB with much less experience in the league.

11. David-The-Meats-Harris

Petty is scrappy, and I get it, people like that. Glenn Foley was scrappy, but he was still Glenn Foley. There were few times in 40 years I felt comfortable with a qb. Vinny always had me holding my breath. Favre was one of my favorite of all time and he sketched me out. O'Brien...wait, I lied. I've never felt comfortable with a jets qb. Vinny was as close as could be, but only because parcells and bb..weis. a solid team. But again 40 years in, and it's the same thing over and over, mostly: "damn, just put <insert name here> in because __________ sucks"
    In many respects, Ray Lucas was the best year ever, because for once, he was that #2 that got it done. Fuck, I think Ray was #3.

Edit: oh that's right, Ray had bill, bill and Charlie

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're probably right. If the season plays our that way, I will be apoplectic. If that happens, I hope that Hack and whoever the Jets draft at QB bust, and I hope that Petty goes to Buffalo or Miami and tortures the Jets for the next 10 years and they become the new dominant team and the Jets remain the division (if not the NFL doormat). I'm fed up with Jets stupid shit. At this point, I'm a bigger Petty fan than I am a Jets fan.

13. NCJetsfan

Hack played at Penn St. Petty played at Baylor. So do you really mean that you think that Petty's the best of the 3 QBs? If so, I agree with you. If not, and think Hack's the best, well then I disagree.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

If their plan was to cut Petty today and go with just Hack and McCown, then they should be shot, because they're too stupid to live.

15. David-The-Meats-Harris

Also, petty I dont believe has made 3 consecutive games played without getting hurt.

It also defies most of the logic people have. These 2 things are frequently said here:
    1. Give him a shot, we have nothing to lose. We'll see what we have at least

2. He has no weapons, what do you expect?

Those 2 common themes contradict one another. If you play an unknown, with no protection, and no weapons of noteworthy, then how in fucks sake do you really know what you have?

If this was a good organization, we wouldn't be having these debates repeatedly for decades.

Before anyone yammers "go find another team if they suck so bad" ..and they will, bite me. I love the jets, but I also understand they're a steaming shit show.

16. ColoradoContrails

Really, there's only ever been ONE Jets QB worth anything - Namath. That's the problem with the Jets,,,for some reason, after Joe Willie, they decided that QB wasn't that important. For a team searching for a FQB ever since Namath left, isn't it strange that they only drafted a QB with their first pick four times? Of course it would be a different thing if they had a succession of long term FQBs and didn't need one very often, but that's clearly not the case. There is something terribly wrong with an NFL team that doesn't recognize the value of the most important position, and the results bear this out.

I know many will disagree with me, but I would advocate taking a QB with my first pick every year until I found my FQB, it's that critical to the success of the team.

17. ColoradoContrails

What they mean is: no matter what, play Petty.

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

20 on the wonderlic and 49mph ball velocity. This league will eat Watson alive.

19. ColoradoContrails

With the right coach and surrounding talent he'll win a SB. Ever see Joe Kapp play? He never won a SB but he got the Vikings there and even I could throw a football better than him. Yeah, different era, but winning is still winning, and winners are still winners,

Of course if he were on the Jets he would NOT have a good coach, not good surrounding talent - this year at least - but he's still better than what they have now.

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Foley isn't a bad comparison in that they are both fiery sparkplug types, but Petty does have a better arm than Foley. And I believe he has more natural accuracy. I give Petty credit he's a ferocious hard worker and has a good leadership skills, but if he doesn't learn how to properly read defenses he'll never be more than a backup.

O'Brien was a good QB. Not great. Wasn't mistake prone for the most part. Threw a good deep ball. Would kill for a guy like O'Brien now.