What did the Jets see in Hackenberg?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 26, 2017.

1. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I liked Ken O'Brien back in the day, but he was very immobile and had a slow release, in today's NFL with the elaborate blitzes in use I don't think he would be very successful and with the Oline that we have he would get slaughtered.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Just was never a fan of Ken O'Brien. Hated the pick the day it was made. Never will forget Marino sitting there and just knowing Marino would be the pick. O'Brien had cinder block for feet and held on to the ball far too long contrast that to Marino who got rid of it faster than anyone. Yes O'Brien had that shoot out with Marino and it was probably his best game ever. But it just wasn't enough of those.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

You keep trotting out this factoid that the Patriots had interest in Hackenberg, but I
    can't find that anywhere. Bill O'Brien coached him and picked him out of high school, but
    that's the only connection to the Patriots that I could find. Instead I find stuff like
    this:

"The New York Daily News has a brutal piece about the perception of Hackenberg in the building.

One Jets starter simply rolled his eyes and shook his head recently when I asked whether
    Hackenberg was worth a second-round pick. “No,” the player said.

“He will never make it,” another Jets source told the Daily News. “Never.”"

Ron

HomeoftheJets and boozer32 like this.
  4. boozer32

Bill O'Brien had the most success with Hack and he still didn't draft him.

RonPi likes this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

TBF he never got a chance as we took him in the 2nd, :D:D:D:D

6. boozer32

Could have taken him in the first round. They also had the pick before the Jets in the 2nd round. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

19(50) Texans (From Falcons) Martin, Nick OG 6'4" 299 Notre Dame 5.7

20(51) Jets Hackenberg, Christian QB 6'4" 223 Penn St. 5.5

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They went and got Osweiler earlier that off season. Plus Tom Savage.

8. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

What a whack thing to do going Oline early in the draft. Whoever thought. I wish the jets were whack like that.

Red Menace and boozer32 like this.
  9. K'OB

It was meant as a bit of a joke, did you not notice the smiley faces.

I made a mistake and thought his old coach was at the cheaters, fucking shoot me. :rolleyes:

That will teach me to try and have a bit of a laugh on the internet.

Ah well carry on.

boozer32 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That information was originally posted by another poster or two on this site. I believe that they had some sources to document their claims. Whether it's true or not, it could help explain what Mac was thinking and why he took Hack that high, or at all. I was never a Hack fan, and in fact knew nothing about him when he was drafted. Like all Jets draft picks, I try to learn as much about them as I can and then root for them. I'm not so quick to judge them busts and then want to be right so I can look smarter than other posters. I know it's in the best interests of all Jets fans for each and every draft pick to pan out. I also know that not all players are alike and it takes some longer to develop than others.

It is starting to look like he will never make it, not because of a lack of talent, but a lack of confidence. I think that lack of confidence is a big part of what kept him from transferring from PSU after O'Brien left. I also think he is loyal to a fault, and is a bit of a people pleaser. Those are not necessarily traits that would lead one to becoming a great QB in the NFL, but we'll see. He's still young, and it's not like the Jets are flush with QB prospects at the moment. He definitely should not keep them from taking a QB high in next year's draft, yet I've lost confidence in Mac to the point, where I think he would pass on taking a QB high, keep Petty as the backup and count on Hack to develop.

I don't read the Daily News any more because their reporters are a bunch of lying hacks with an anti-Jet bias.

nicg4360 likes this.
  11. boozer32

Don't give up your day job. Sarcasm meant and spelled out.

12. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

The JETS see that Hackenberg has a long way to go and they will most likely be in the QB market for next year unless something changes overnight with Hackenberg and the light just comes on.

#92 Richiebsweet, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  13. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Hackenberg is 22 years old. He didn't play well this preseason, but he definitely played better then he did last year. I wouldn't give up on the development of Hackenberg especially when a player gets better year to year, but he still has a long way to go. The Jets should definitely be in the market for a QB this offseason, which should push Hack even more. We'll see what happens, but he has my patience.

FJF and K'OB like this.
  14. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Yes, we were patient with Geno, and look what we got!

Ron

15. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Geno continued to make the same mistakes over and over. He did not learn from his mistakes. If Hack continues to make the same mistakes when we see him again, then your patience can run out.

PulseJet and MoWilkBeast like this.
  16. boozer32

At some point in your job you have progress. The elevator doesn't go all the way to the top with this guy. Its still stuck in the basement. Wasting time and manpower hoping this guy "get's it" will continuely set the franchise further back. Now we are passing on better QB's because we hope (not know) Hack will get better. Are we going to get excited again next year in training camp when he throw a accurate 5 yard pass into the flat in shorts and a red jersey?

tbruner12 likes this.
  17. jago

jago Active Member

to those of us of a certain age..hack is the football equivalent of Gregg Jefferies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

we saw the same thing as everyone else - the hope that he could go back to being the bright young thing he was at the start of his college career - we took a chance and thus far it doesn't seem to be panning out but you have to keep rolling the dice.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  19. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

In two of the pre-season games that Hack started, on the first series there was serious communication issues on the o-line where the tackle double teamed an inside rusher and left the DE go for a direct hit on Hack. If I'm a QB, that would stick in my mind. I am not ready to give up on Hack at this point. Time will tell but I would expect the Jets to look to upgrade the OL by next year which could change peoples opinions on Hack and Petty.

20. K'OB

I am not sure why people find this a difficult concept to understand, it was all about hope.

I am not ready to give him up but it is obvious he isn't ready to lead the team, doubtful he is ready at any point this season, I would take Petty to start but he has to stay fit enough but with this OL that is highly unlikely.

We may even find ourselves 3 QB's down before week 9 and looking for a vet QB to come in.

#100 K'OB, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    zace likes this.