What did the Jets see in Hackenberg?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 26, 2017.

1. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Not a fan of what I have seen from Hack thus far. Petty strikes me as having the better pro QB tool set.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Pulse, I'm just as perplexed as fellow jet fans. He could just be a bad HC or lacks the insight to understand the offensive side of the ball.

Like Jeff Spicoli said....." I don't Know"

PulseJet likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Well, Trubinsky, Watson, Mahomes and Kizer are rookies and they looked better in their rookies year than Hack has ever looked. How much experience do they have? Dax Prescott came out last year and took the Cowboys deep into the playoffs and once again a rookie. 4 out of the 5 QB I just mentioned the Jets had a shot at. Heck Prescott they had 4 shots at and all along they got it wrong. Never has a QB been treated like a toddler than Hackenberg. Sanchez started day one. Did Clemens sit and was spoon fed? But we are to be patient with Hackenberg for how many more years? The Jets need help now and if he would have shown something anything I know Jets fans would have gotten behind him and been patient. But he hasn't and its time to move on.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Out of interest when have you shown patience when concerning Hackenberg ?

Jets69 likes this.
  5. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

For god's sake, he's a 2nd round pick. Our 2nd round picks are almost always a bust. It's unfortunate, but there it is.

Functionally, Hack is a rookie. They dedicated last year to fixing his mechanics and, unfortunately, as 3rd on the depth chart he got very few reps last year (but Petty got a lot of reps as the backup QB/starter and is looking better as a result). Hack may suck and turn into a complete bust, but he's a 2nd round pick and if a 2nd round pick busts, its not the end of the world. First round QBs frequently bust, even ones drafted in the top 5 are often busts. To take a shot at getting someone you thought could become a franchise QB in the 2nd is not a bad bet. Even if there was a 10% chance of his becoming a franchise QB it was still worth drafting him.

The bigger question is why the hell aren't they starting Petty instead of McCown? Assuming of course that Petty is health enough to play.

6. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

The problem is that Hackenberg was always a huge gamble because he only had one decent year. Even worse, everyone acknowledged he was raw and going to take a long time to develop. The Jets were the last team in a position to take a huge gamble with a 2nd round pick, especially on a kid that they knew would take a long time to develop. It would have been a completely different story if a team like Pitt or Green Bay, with established qb's and solid teams had drafted him. Those teams are in a position to take a gamble and spend a long time developing a potential player. Even if he ends up panning out for the Jets, which is looking less and less likely with each passing day, it was a bad gamble and a bad decision.

#46 Frenbar, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You mean he sat on the bench nude the entire season? ;):p

boozer32 likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don't blame mac for taking hack. I'll never blame a gm for taking chances on a qb. The problem is, mac has not done anything to support any qb let alone one he might think could be a franchise quarterback.

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Reading a defense was supposed to be his strength.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He was a known project and should NOT have been selected in the 2nd round. They should have drafted someone that was ready to play in the NFL. Bad move. If they liked him, they should have waited at least another round for him. I'm repeating myself, but he was known to be a project no matter what his potential.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  11. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Well the jets tried to get cute just like they did when they......

Drafted some track dude name lam...
    Drafted some QB named obrien....
    Drafted some FB named vick......
    Drafted some RB named thomas.....
    Drafted some QB named nagle.....
    Drafted some QB named frost......
    Drafted some kicker named nugent......
    Drafted some QB named sanchez......
    Signed some QB named tebow.....

And the latest......drafted some QB named hackenberg.

Its pitiful, really is. The black hole that controls this team will suck you in and eventually cause you great pain and embarrassment.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets cannot repeat the same mistake as 2014. Should Hack or Petty come in and light it up the last 4 or 5 games, Jets still need to draft a QB.

boozer32, ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Again htf can you throw O'Brien into that fucking mix, he was not a flop in the slightest, you can not keep tarring him with the "he wasn't Marino" brush forever, it makes me boil inside when people keep saying he was a flop

HomeoftheJets, NCJetsfan and Jets69 like this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

O'Brien's greatest moment was the legendary 51-45 shootout with Marino years ago. Then again, that was back when we had an oline, rb's, wr's not like today..

That game, the Monday Nite Miracle and the '69bowl are the best 3 games in Jet history.

K'OB, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

The Jets v. Pats Divisional Round 2010 is really up there for me.

16. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

That makes too much sense. We always do the opposite.

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ken O'Brien? I'm assuming you Got his name off YouTube jets draft blunders, obviously never saw him play

K'OB likes this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I knew obrien would strike a nerve here and so be it. Forget the stats and stuff.....the fact is the jets thought they got a steal when selecting obrien instead of marino and were pretty smug about it most of that first year.....
    Well it backfired not because obrien was a bust but because marino was all world.

Again he is included in my sarcasm list because it is a perfect example of the jets trying to think outside the box and getting burned.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The Hackenberg pick tells me that Mac isn't qualified to be a GM.If we don't take him there he likely doesn't get drafted until round 4.Good gms don't gamble with second round draft picks when there team has holes everywhere.

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The problem with Hack is he may take another 3 years to develop...And there's no guarantee he's going to develop.Early returns don't look good on this investment.I wouldn't cut him until after next season if he hasn't improved in leaps and bounds.