Here's Why 2017 Won't be So Bad: 2016 was THE WORST

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 12, 2017.

1. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Think it will all come down to QB. If Hack turns into a decent QB that will keep us in a lot of games. If McCown is the best option the whole season, even winning one game will be difficult.

2. steviep

steviep Active Member

I totally agree with you -- it would be shocking. I just think that the defense is decent. If the defense plays well -- they may be in more games than you think. And they will ask (or should ask) NOTHING of their QB and run the ball and run the clock. I guy can hope, cant he?.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think the team will at least be hungry this year. That should make it exciting to watch at the very least. We'll see some flashes of excellent play.

Its similar to how I felt about the Yankees coming into the year. Young, hungry players. Low expectations, but room to grow. Honestly, if the Knicks move Melo, they will be in a similar boat as well.

The issue is, the Jets are missing the QB, and I dont think the other two sports have a single position nearly as important. Unfortunately, I have no faith in Hackenberg. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but do you remember all the holes and question marks - beginning with Bowles - that were discussed leading up to FA and the draft? And how many of those have been resolved? Sure, we've greatly improved the secondary - at least the Safeties - but there are really no proven answers anywhere else. The TEs and receivers sound so far like there's potential but we'll have to wait and see them in real games. And again, even if all the new guys work out more or less, they're still constrained by the coaches and their decisions. Add to all that a really tough schedule, and the reality is that this is going to be a brutal season to watch.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that the D will be a lot better than many think and will keep them in a lot of games. It's in the Jets' best interest and ultimately ours that they don't win many games this year. If Hack or Petty don't prove to be the answer at QB, they need to get one in next year's draft. Even if Hack or Petty pan out, they still need a stud pass rusher, LT, #1 WR, RB, and maybe #1 CB. I want them picking top 3 so the rebuild will progress faster.

6. ColoradoContrails

Unfortunately I think they will win enough games - 4-6 - to keep them out of the top 4 pick range. In other words, typical Jets: suck, but not badly enough to really profit from it ever.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If they win that many games, it means that Hack or Petty, Morton, and maybe Bates are the real deal and so is our defense. There's no way I see over 3-4 wins with the Jets' schedule and with Bowles as the HC.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is highly possible. If so though: Bowles is gone. I am fine with a fresh start in 2018 and hopefully the team can keep building with these young guys and a new coach. However, if Bowles can improve and learn from his first 2 seasons, that would also be fine with me. Time will tell. If he does make those same mistakes as last year, I agree it will be brutal. Seems like things are different so far in 2017. Haven't played a game though.

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

So I wonder - how safe is Bowles? Was he given a pass for this season by ownership? What would it take for him to get canned?

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets are dumb, but they are not dumb enough to tell Bowles he is safe after his horrendous 2016 season. I think if you watch the team in 2017 and they are competitive and improving week to week, he could be safe at 5-11 again. If they look anything like last year, or are close to a dumpster fire: He is gone.

Walt White likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I want:

1 Zero wins this season

2 A lock at a top QB come the 2018 draft

3 Bowles and company gone

#3 may occur with more than 0 wins, however #2 is absolutely contingent on 3 wins or less

I have prayed, chanted mantras, lit candles and even wrote a serious Xmas request to Santa at the North Pole for all three to materialize

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

just an FYI it's pretty much a 50/50 shot that the 1st QB drafted is the best in his class

I'll skip the last 2 years cause development time but

winston taken 1st so far mariota is better taken 2nd

bortles drafted 1st. carr is the best drafted in the 2nd round (4th QB taken)

EJ manual taken 1st the whole class was bad i'd probably say glennon is the best in it 3rd round (3rd QB taken)

Andrew luck taken 1st while he's awesome i'd argue wilson is better and cousins isn't too shabby wilson was a 3rd rounder cousins a 4th (6th and 8th QBs taken)

Cam was taken 1st and is the best QB in the class

Bradford was taken 1st. didn't pan out but he was the top in the class

So out of the last 6 draft classes (not including the past 2 cause too soon to tell) the 1st QB taken wasn't the best 4 of the times. and those are the 2 oldest. only 2 panned out as franchise QBs (cam and luck) so far.

On top of that we seen great picks in the 2nd round or later. carr, cousins, wilson. that doens't even include dak who looks to be the best QB of last draft as well and a 4th rounder. we just need to scout/draft better. having a shot at the "best" college QB doesn't mean sucess. hell they could blow out a knee and never play a down. Look what happened with chad, he could have been a franchise QB but blew out his shoulder.

13. ColoradoContrails

Good point. Draft position is no guarantee of success, but it does improve the odds. As you said, it really comes down to scouting, but more specifically, it depends on who is doing your scouting, and then eventually, your development. The QB position has been an afterthought for much of the Jets history, that it's hard to have faith that they'll know what to do if they do get their pick of QBs, but that's still preferable to having to settle for what others pass over. I don't have faith that the Jets ability to find "gems" in later rounds is very good.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I think this is a 4-6 win team. Some analysts have compared the Jets to the 2016 Browns, but I just don't see it. Sure we lost a lot of big name players, but those big name players didn't play well last year.

McCown vs Fitzpatrick
    Anderson vs Marshall
    Johnson vs Mangold
    Davis vs Harris
    Claiborne vs Revis
    Maye vs Gilchrist
    Adams vs Pryor
    Shell vs Giacomini

Add this to the fact that Wilkerson and Richardson are likely go to play better with some $ on the line, and Williams & Lee should be another year better. Throw in the fact that it actually sounds like we have a few guys that could play Tight End for the first time since Dustin Keller.

15. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

This notion of young and hungry is like a slogan dreamed up by politicians meaning lack of talent. Young and hungry? What happens after they lose 5 games to start the season. Then they will be inexperienced and stupid. Please we have no oline.. probably no qb, no tight end... an old rb. This season will be a dumpster fire. I dont get this young and hungry bullshit. I agree its nice to be young and hopefully in two years or so we can reap the benefits.. the jags have been young and hungry for what like 4 years and they suck.. the sixers have been young and hungry and they fucking suck. If having a young team was the magic key to success than everyone would be able to figure that out. It takes alot more than youth to win.

16. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Agreed on young and hungry does not equal wins but what it does provide is enthusiasm and many have opportunities that they would not have on other teams. The jets are hoping they see players step up and take advantage of this. Last year was just a cesspool of players who did not care and just had no interest to be here. I think that's what a "young and hungry" team will overcome. If we are down 0-5 as you mentioned well there is like zero expectations on this team. I think it will be a fun year to see who wants to be here.

thankyourevis likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah we never seem to find the gem at QB, even when we do use a high pick (sanchez, chad, geno, clemens etc) TO be fair we have drafted quite a few QBs they just always suck. if any one of them would have panned out we would be in a much better position. I'm still hoping hack shows he can be one but if he doens't we will be in prime position to land one next draft, the big question is will we pick the right one? Outside of 2004 i can't think of any other ones where the top 3 Qbs selected all panned out.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Winston and Mariota are push at this stage. Both are very good QBs. I personally would prefer Winston has he's done about the same with less.

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

better to win 5 games or less with younger, faster players with upside
    than a roster overloaded with older, slower, expensive vets who are not producing results.
    you free up cap space to re-sign your own players who do produce or bank the money to go into free agency to shore up
    the team when you are a year away from being able to realistically compete for division title/ super bowl berth.
    the giants used the past two years to follow that plan correctly. we need to get the one element they have and we don't,
    a franchise caliber qb.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Let's go with 1 win and the top pick. I don't want to go down in history like the Bucs and Lions.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.