Jets release David Harris

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Ring of Honor!

2. Walt White

Lol. They cut people quicker than anybody. Follow the money. That's what it's about for the players.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So what you are saying is people don't care if you cut guys after 10 years, they just care about winning?

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets run A LOT of nickel. You could argue that perhaps over 60% of the time, the Jets run a nickel based defense. Lee is definitely a starter, on this defense, but his full time role IMO hasn't been fully defined. We aren't sure if he's capable of shedding blockers and stopping the run from the inside linebacker position full time. We do know he was brought in to go up against TEs. To help stop those running backs catching passes out of the back-field. That in itself is worthy of a first rounder, if you are good at that specific skill-set.

I do think the Jets need a thumper next to Lee. To allow Lee do what he does best.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Man, this is sad. Harris was one of my favorite Jets. No drama. No showboating. Just played his heart out. I wish him the best of luck if his career continues, and the best of health and prosperity if this is the end. David Harris was a great Jet.

6. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

From PFF:

The weak side linebacker is the glamour spot in the 4-3. Things are geared for this guy to fly to the football and make plays. Typically the SAM will take care of the first lead blocker, the MIKE linebacker cleans up any other blocks and the WILL linebacker can just penetrate and make a play on the football. The WILL therefore is usually the quickest, most explosive of the 4-3 linebackers.

That sounds like the position Lee needs to play.

IDFjet likes this.
  7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Once Davis was re-acquired I saw the handwriting on the wall for this move... he was a good soldier for us but this is part of the rebuilding process.

I'd rather see a younger guy get playing time so we can evaluate this entire team moving forward.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

As much as I love the annual off season trend of every thread about a LB or D-lineman turning into a 3-4 vs 4-3 discussion, last I checked, the NFL moved past all that stuff about 5 years ago, when more 65% of defensive snaps each year were taken in the Nickle and Dime packages.

It used to be, you were in your "base" on first and second down, and nickle or dime for 3rd-and-long.
    Then it was base on first, then nickle or dime on second and third.

These days it's nickle and dime, unless you're in 2nd-and-short or maybe 3rd-and-medium/short-depending-on-the-offensive-formation.

The only thing that matters in these discussions is how many defensive linemen you're putting out there, and what role each of them is going to play. The linebacker talk is mostly a waste of time, as you're almost always going to have one or two of them on the bench. What used to be a 3-4 is now almost always a 3-3 or 3-2, and what used to be a 4-3 is almost always a 4-2 or 4-1.

Discuss it to your heart's content, it's not bothering me. History is cool.

9. Walt White

Yep. It's a different game now. Comparing, and assessing, guys to prototypes from a bygone era is a waste of time. I agree that even five years ago is too long ago. Some people love comparing guys to players from the 70's and 80's, particularly LB's, Dlinemen.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. Green4ever

Green4ever New Member

He was great Jet, and was reliable as they come. Even in his declining years he was making tons of tackles and sniffing out screens with the best of them. He will be missed.

11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I want to hear more on how this went down but I think it sucks. Did it have to be done, yes probably but the timing is so bad , I mean why wait to June 6th ? Also did he really find out second hand and not face to face ? Maybe it had to be done but I question how it was done , there is a right way to do things but give me a break the guys has been here 10 years and he was actually on the practice field today working with the starters you mean to tell me they could not have told him face to face and not keep him off the field today ? This smells funny to me but nothing surprises me with this organization ! Go look up how Chad Pennington was released after the Favre trade , they told him to his face the trade rumors were false and then after the trade did finally go down they literally pulled him off the plane in front of teammates ,,,,,,there are right ways to do things and on the surface the way this went down today does not seem right to me ?

NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  12. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

I'm fine with this. We are further away from contending than Harris's remaining shelf life. This gives an opportunity for younger players to step up.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Not part of the future ,It will def be sad to see him go.I guess Mac is really trying to get himself fired after this season

14. Walt White

Actually it prolly means that Mac has the go ahead from Woody on a complete rebuild. Which would mean Mac gets more time to do it. Could mean Bowles is on board also. I won't be a bit surprised if they're both here to start the '18 season.

FJF likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

wow we are going full blown out with the old in with the new. except the QB lol. I'm guessing getting back davis was a big part of it. I'll miss harris. great jet and great player and great draft pick for nearly a decade. Would love to see him come back one day as the LB coach.

16. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

All you can ask for is a strong player on and off the field for 10 years. That's exactly what we got with Harris.

Hitman for life.

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I'll miss the hitman, he was a stud when younger but lost two steps. Watching him "try" to cover anyone was painful and he was really a 1st and 2nd down player now. Does the timing suck...no they seem to have been negotiating for some time and it just fell apart.

Time to move on...

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What a sad day. I hate Bowles like no other. He is in the Holtz/Kottite league. Harris has been stellar and he could have been as fast as the flash it wouldn't help with the stupid defense Bowles deploys. They also could have handled it much better, Harris deserved that much.

CBG likes this.
  19. boozer32

Then why do we have so many linebackers on the roster? Or why did we trade a safety for another linebacker. Drfated 2 last year and another one this year.

20. boozer32

Our most successful 2nd round pick in 30 years. After him we haven't had a sniff of success in that round.