Some free agents left that could make sense for us

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 11, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Well we don't have a ton of cap room, those expensive players have already been signed. Still there are some quality players out there we can look at and we have enough room to sing 1 or maybe 2 (since he have a ton of room next year we can be creative with contracts)

1) Sam Shields - CB
    much like clayborne he's an injury risk, still when on the field he has talent and is only 29. he has a few years left. with clayborne on one side and shields on the other and skrine in the slot and 2 rookie sfaties all of a sudden our secondary doesn't look so bad. williams, burris, and our 2 rookies will provide depth at the position

2) Josh Gordon - WR
    a huge if, but if he gets reinstated cleveland will be moving on, could be had for a cheap pick (maybe a 5th rounder) and could instantly be our number 1 WR. with marshil suspended 4 games, anderson could be suspended, decker coming back from injury, smith released after tearing his ACL again in the off season the jets could use another WR. we did draft a couple as well it's gonna be a competition for roster spots. decker and enunwa are probably the only true locks. anderson and the 2 rookies should make it as well giving us 5 and peake giving us 6. if gordon comes along he would be our starter and provide a huge instant upgrade.

3) Gary Barndige - TE
    A solid TE. he isn't young but ASJ is suspended 1 game and still may never turn into the player he was expected. he has talent but production isn't there yet and injuries are taking a toll on him. rookie legget is not ready to play a big role. barndige could be a good stop gap for a few years and will give us a reliable target and solid blocker. something we haven't had in a long time

4) Elvis Dumerville - OLB
    he's not really a good choice for the youth movement we have going but at this point in his career he can still be a really good 3rd down edge rusher. something we don't have

2. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

I'd look at Shields and Barnidge at the right price. Too bad the NFL wont reinstate Gordon. Also would consider

1 Jason McCourty CB TEN 30
    2 Tramaine Brock CB SF 29
    5 Gerald Hodges ILB SF 26
    6 Perry Riley ILB OAK 29
    8 DeAndre Levy 4-3 OLB DET 30
    10 Austin Pasztor G CLE 26
    13 Paul Kruger 3-4 OLB NO 31
    15 LeGarrette Blount RB NE 30
    16 Gary Barnidge TE CLE 31
    17 Andrew Tiller G SF 28
    18 Alterraun Verner CB TB 28
    20 Sam Shields CB GB 29
    22 Devin Taylor 4-3 DE DET 27
    25 Sio Moore ILB ARI 27
    28 Jared Odrick DT JAX 29
    32 Erik Walden 3-4 OLB IND 32

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

No point in spending on players in their prime, this year should be extended tryouts for the young guys until we draft a top QB. I'm not a person to root for the draft before the season starts but with the way things are happening, it makes all the sense in the world to tank by starting inexperienced players.

#3 Quinnenthebeast, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    egelband, xxedge72x, ajax and 6 others like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I really like Gerald Hodges. Still pretty young at 26 and coming off a solid season with San Fran.

Lee should be the face of our MLB position moving forward and with Harris aging i believe Hodges could give us decent depth at IMLB.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

From among those players, the only one I think I'd definitely like to see them sign is Hodges. Pasztor and Barnidge would be possibilities. In general, I don't think anyone over 27 should be signed. The only reason I'd want Barnidge is because of the uncertainty surrounding both ASJ and I have little hope or expectations for any of the other Jets' TEs.

Since this is a rebuilding year and the plan is to go with youth, I see no purpose in bringing in vets that at the very least will take away practice reps, and could take away starting jobs.

6. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Daryl Washington was just released by the Cardinals shortly after being reinstated. Worth a look with the Todd Bowles connection, he put up some impressive stats until the suspension.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I agree with this everywhere except offensive line. 1) Better offensive linemen will help the evaluation of our young QBs, 2) I have very very very little hope that any of our young offensive linemen are going to develop into anything of note, so a vet won't stunt their development. I don't expect more than 2-3 linemen from this years' roster to be around next year, starters or otherwise. That's probably wishful thinking on my part. Any CHEAP improvements to this years O-line would be fine by me, even if they were all 40-years old.

Will-I-Am-Not and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Washington was a good player and probably has a couple of years left, but why would the Jets want do sign a 30 year-old player? This isn't a playoff team, but rather a rebuilding team going with a youth movement. He would only take snaps from some of the younger players and isn't going to be able to help the Jets long term.

9. NCJetsfan

If any quality OL become available who are older than 27, then I agree. Protecting the young QBs and helping the offense to develop should be paramount.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A 4-2-5 set-up would see Lee and maybe Hodges with Pryor playing a linebacker / safety hybrid role in the secondary. A lot of speed at the linebacker core, but still need more pass-rushers. Even the 3-3-5. Bowles wants solid nickel packages.

11. JetsfanHBca

In this day and age of the free agent I think age matters a little less. I mean does it really matter how old a guy is if he is gone from your team in 1-3 years anyway, I get it, no one wants to pay good money for a vet with declining skills but every player is different. Some guys slow down at 28 some guys 36. Honesty I think more often than not a players decline is aided by injury and not being able to recover the same way. Injuries happen at any age. Basically what I am saying I don't mind getting a stop gap guy here and there to help solidify a position group.

Also I don't believe in tanking. Its sad that so many people are rooting for the Jets to have a bad year. Suck for Sam and all. What if we do tank, we fire Bowls and Donaldson stays in school? What kind of coach or GM are we going to be able to get then. Especially with our friendly media and low expectations.

Teams don't go from being really bad to to really good in a year or two unless everything falls into place. Coach, GM, team health etc... I'd rather be competitive & scrappy. Let the draft picks fall where they may. Rodgers & Big Ben weren't top 5 picks either.

Just my opinion

12. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I'd take Sam Shields on a one year deal. That's about it.

13. NCJetsfan

IMO it matters because the Jets are rebuilding, not making a push for the playoffs. It matters because they cut older players to give the younger players a chance to develop and see who can help them going forward. It matters because those older vets would take away snaps, and possibly starting spots from younger players and would slow their development. It matters because they have limited cap space. It matters because what sense does it make to cut older players to give the youngsters a chance, and then turn around and sign more older players? It matters because the whole idea of going with younger players, is to find players that can be with and help the team for the next 5-10 years, not 1-3 years.

This isn't "tanking." If the new coaching hires prove to be great additions, if Bowles proves that he has learned from his mistakes, if young players develop and the team shows great improvement this season, how is it bad if they have a losing record and have a great chance to finally get a FQB? No one want so see ineptness and sloppiness. If Bowles hasn't learned anything, then the team isn't going to win much, anyway, regardless of what talent they have. If Bowles hasn't learned anything and the team plays the same as last year, then Bowles needs to go. We want to see young players develop so that we can have hope for the future.

What if we win 6-7 games, we discover that both Petty and Hack aren't the answer at QB, and we miss out on all the top QB prospects next season? That would doom the Jets to the continued mediocrity without a realistic chance at a SB, because we have no real chance at a SB until we find that FQB.

14. JetsfanHBca

In the NFL you should have to earn your reps. Players develop in practice too if you can;t do it in practice you cant do it in game. Unless your a gamer. Best player plays on sunday. FQB are never a sure thing even at number 1 or 2 No one knows where they can come from. You could look really hard for 10-50 years and never find one or one could fall in your lap.

6-7 wins this year was still a top 10 pick. I'd just rather fight for every win every year than give up for a few years at a chance to start fresh and maybe be a good team.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

1. Shields: When a concussion keeps you out for the entire year and it is your 4th concussion it is time to hang up your helmet.

2. Gordon: Still under contract for 3 years and won't be reinstated until the fall at the earliest. Even if reinstated the Browns will keep him if he still looks good or will want a draft pick. No way would I want the Jets to waste a draft pick any higher than a 6th on him.

3.Barnidge: Too old, would rather they bring in a few more UDFAs for tryouts. Keep it with the youth movement, they can survive without ASJ for the 1 game.

4. Dumerville: Once again, too old. Save the cap space for next season while they see what the young guys will do.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I can't picture Gordon coming here. There are 30+ other NFL teams. Why would Gordon come to N.Y while we have current QB questions?

If he's trying to make another splash and pad the box-score for a nice payday, I'd imagine he'd do so with a Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Ryan, Luck etc type of quarterback. The Jets imo just doesn't have enough to offer a man in his situation.

17. Sio Moore is a pretty good player but maybe not the thumper the Jets would like next to Lee however it's an attractive pairing in nickel 4-2-5 situations . He might be someone who could play Sam;or at least move someone else to sam if the Jets were move to more of a 4-3 under type base.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Some folk think he would give us the best chance of winning !!!!

Some folk want us to win a few games to satisfy their need to see the Jets win at all opportunities even during a rebuild and remember 7-9 would be counted as a huge success for some of them o_O

19. NCJetsfan

Sadly, you're right of course. Woody and the Jets are finally doing what they should have done years ago, and some of our fans would have them sabotage the rebuild in order to satisfy their impatience and desire to see a few wins. They want to win the battle at the cost of quite possibly losing the war. It's sad how blind and short-sighted some people are.

#19 NCJetsfan, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    KurtTheJetsFan and K'OB like this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wow Sam Shields should have a plane ticket from the Jets in hand by now. A two-year deal incentive laden contract should do. He would be a solid pick up and also help the youngins like Burris.

GasedAndConfused likes this.