Could this be a fun year for the Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, May 1, 2017.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

All depends on Hack. If he can throw a handful more TDs than INTs we should be ok. If he comes out and pulls a Sanchez and goes 12 TDs to 20 INTs I expect no more than 3 wins. If he can flip those numbers I see 7-9 as the ceiling.

4jetfans likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are you seriously advocating or hoping for a 7-9 season, please tell me you don't want that to happen, that would be the worst thing ever in this rebuild, I want Hack to succeed but hopefully he will play well and we get beat 28-21 every week and then enter the draft with the number one pick and keep on keepin' on with the rebuild.

3. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I am already writing off Hack. I know it's ridiculously early to write off a 2nd year QB but I just hated this pick right from the start and nothing I've seen or read makes me think that this was anything but a colossal mistake by the Jets scouting dept.

I remember thinking at the time that the pick would either make or break McCagnan as a Jets GM. He's gonna need some real gems from this year's class to redeem himself for that pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I am not necessarily advocating for it. But if Hack plays well enough and this team plays well enough to get to 7-9 I would be happy. I just want to see this team be good. If Hack comes out with 25 TDs to 12 INTs and we go 7-9 I will be very excited/happy. If Hack plays that well, with this schedule, there wouldn't necessarily be a need to take a QB at the top of the '18 draft.

This year is all about evaluating young talent and figuring out if Hack is the guy of the future. If Hack shows promise for the future and plays above average I could care less what our draft pick # is.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It won't be that bad. We'll have all the young players to watch, trying to figure out who will fit in the window and who is not up to the task.

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Tough call to make on the young QBs we have

Hack has never gotten an opportunity to play so yes lets see him. Gut says hes struggles

Who are the best QBs out there right now? Do we go the VEt route again pick up a Brees or a Cousins? No way imo

We need a young FQB and the best ones are in 2018...Where does Hack compare with DArnold and Rosen?? He doesnt

We have got to lose alot of games in 2017 and grab a quality QB ...end of story. Hack or Petty can be back ups

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

7-9 just leaves us in no man's land, it is isn't all about being number one draft pick to pick up a new QB, I really do hope Hack can be it, but there will be other top talent for us to select and improve us further, trade back from number one and get two round 1 picks etc etc, 7-9 only hinders a rebuild and we will continue to bumble along and hope for a 10-6 and a trip to the play off's via a wildcard, well after a near 40 year wait to see a truly successful Jets team I am willing to sit and watch them tank for three seasons as long as they rebuild in the right fashion with top end youthful talent.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

From your keyboard to Gods monitor.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Comparing this team to the Yankees isn't even apples to oranges, it's apples to onions. At least the Yanks filled their roster and minor leagues with exceptional talent. In contrast, the Jets roster is the worst in the NFL, pending how any of the new guys work out, but even if 4-5 of the draftees become starters, they won't be able to overcome the rest of the holes on the team.

The word I would use is "interesting". I'm interested to see how the new guys do - and despite my skepticism, I hope they do - and how Pettenberg works out, and if Bowles has actually learned anything and puts it to use. Based upon decades of seeing the Jets perennially not meet even my lowest expectations, I'm going to wait and see. But, as only a true Jets fan can understand, I'm caught in a No Man's Land of conflicting objectives: on one hand I want them to exceed my expectations and do really really well, but on the other hand, I don't want them to win more than two games so that they can maybe get the #1 pick next year. It's a special hell, only those who root for the Jets dwell in.

"Stress free"? I doubt it.

NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Winning is fun for me. If the team goes somewhere from 2-14 and 6-10 like everyone is saying, NO that is not fun to me.

If Hackenberg steps up and leads the team to a solid 8-8 to 10-6 season, YES that would be fun.

legler82 likes this.
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Not really... especially if the year is coached the way it is last year...

Thing is this year we all know the jets are going in this to see what we have moving forward..not to compete for anything.

It's going to be "Fun" to see maybe the last year of our supposed-to-be-dominant D-line... maybe all the rumors lights a fire under their asses.

def going to be fun seeing Adams-Maye-Pryor-Lee-Jenkins-Williams since they are clearly the core of what could be an amazing defense if they all reach their potential.

Our offense is never fun.

12. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Fun, no, interesting yes. In particular, I want to see if they realize they have an o-line problem. All of the AFC playoff teams last year were in the bottom half in sacks allowed, Jets were in the top half. Even Miami had 5 fewer (Jets 35 Hou & KC 32 Mia 30 Pats 24 Pit 21)

Ron

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

really don't mind if you sit this one out

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Could be, I guess.

If Hackenburg is the future QB we've been looking for, and we win some games, it'll be fun.
    If Hackenburg blows and we finish 2-14, it might not be fun, but it'll be fantastic for the future. I suppose that could be looked at as fun.

If McCown starts all year and goes 6-10, it is a complete waste of a season.

ColoradoContrails and Peebag like this.
  15. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

If you don't care about the team winning and just want to watch competitive football, I am not sure you would have fun even with those minimal expectations.

Not to mention that the Jets are rebuilding, and the Pats are loading up for a final 1-3 year run with TB... It's probably not going to get much worse until he retires at least.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

at least you'll know the answer for sure if he's the guy or that. I don't care if the guy throws 30 interceptions.

17. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I think you are way too concerned about next year's first round. Of the 45 qb's taken in the first round since 2000, only about 13 could be considered good to great (Alex Smith?). I think a 8-8 record would show that the leadership knows what it's doing and gives the rest of the team some confidence. The qb pick is always a total crap shoot (Matt Leinart! Can't miss!).

Ron

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  18. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Not so much FUN,, But it will be interesting to see how these young rookies perform because unlike previous years they kids are going to play. We give these WR's and RB and TE time to grow and not quit and learn. Then if Hack is not the Answer ( Wish Him Well ) then this team will be ready to draft a QB next year and keep rolling. At least I think that is their plan. Interesting YES

19. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree Hack should start every game possible right? There's no downside. Either he plays well enough to not need to draft a QB high next year, or he's bad enough that we nearly solidify our high draft pick.

20. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

It can't get much worse then last year- as far as being competitive on the field. We will have some young talent this year- which will definitely be fun to watch. It really depends on your expectations. If you are going to be mad after every loss, angry the Jets aren't going to make the playoffs- this won't be a fun year for you. If you truly accept this team is in a full rebuild mode, and are just looking for improvements, and for the team to show us something- you will enjoy this year.

K'OB and 4jetfans like this.