Jets piss poor OL gets no help

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Apr 29, 2017.

1. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

Speaking of a quarterback next draft why do so many like Darnold over Rosen or Jake Browning

2. GreenBleeder

GreenBleeder Member

This is what I don't get.

Jets o-line is set.

You just signed Beachum to play LT (not that I love that move, but you paid him 8mm per year). Ijalana and Shell, both Who were very serviceable last year will battle for RT. Carpenter and winters are the guards, you let mangold walk since you like Wes Johnson at Center.

What are you worried about? Interior depth? Those are all UDFA.

Why is everybody crowing about o-line need?

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

this whole team has been piss poor and we addressed positions of need...ONE OFFSEASON DOES NOT FIX 48 YEARS OF MISTAKES!

Walt White and GreenfiendNYJ like this.
  4. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I thought we woul see an edge guy and at least oen OL in the upper tier of the draft. Hated the two safety thing.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Their biggest signing financially was a LT(Beachum). Their biggest resigning was a RG(Winters).

They also gave up a pick in the 2017 draft(4th round) last year to get Shell. In this draft class, Shell might've been a Day 2 lock so looking back, it seems like it was a solid value trade for a OT.

Cmon now.

6. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Teams were laughing at our secondary last year and could you blame them? It had to be addressed as a priority. Hopefully special teams will have been upgraded too.

Walt White likes this.
  7. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I think they are really relying on their OL coach to develop the guys they have on roster. He did a good job with the young guys last year and maybe they think they will get better as a unit.

Also, they could bring in some veteran help in the next few months to add depth.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Would have liked to see OL addressed as well, but there are needs and room for improvement everywhere else (save for DL) too..

However, they are set at each guard spot. Shell played very well at the end of last season and should be the RT of the future. Johnson seemed to hold up alright at C and hopefully another year removed from that injury for Beachum will get him closer to his previous play, which was outstanding. So I'm not necessarily so down on the line and have some hope it can be better than expected

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Neither has 48 off seasons..

GreenfiendNYJ likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is my only real beef with this draft. Macc is starting to resemble Bradway in the OL dept.

I get that we're rebuilding and that this was a weak OL draft, but with as many picks as they had, you can certainly find room for a developmental OL or two. Rebuilding a house doesn't mean much if the foundation is cracked all to hell and the basement floods every time it rains.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't think there was a deliberate focus on D going into the draft, it simply appears that way because Adams fell to us. If he was gone and we'd taken Howard as most suspected, and all other picks fell as they did, we'd have an offensive dominated draft. It was just the secondary that was addressed with the first two picks, because they were players the FO believed they couldn't pass up that addressed what was clearly the weakest part of the team.

Leicester Jet, hwismer and Walt White like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The one thing wrong with this analogy for you is...

You build from the ground up and this in sports terms is defence through to offence, so in all reality they are future proofing your basement for flooding by getting the groundwork in place to then start work on the fancier part of the house.

;)

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That was true (in football) 15-20 years ago. Now everything is offense and you don't win without a franchise QB..ever. Just like people can't grasp the reality that more and more teams use the spread offense now they also can't grasp the reality that you win with defense has gone by the wayside.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

You been bitching since you got here.... Why don't you contribute something worth reading..

Leicester Jet and Walt White like this.
  15. Hectorfor3

Hectorfor3 Active Member

Looking at it overall I think Mac did pretty well. The defense should be improved (remember how many times the Jets got burned over the top last year?) Think Hansen was a very nice mid round pick and if a few of the late picks can stick then good.

However our offense does show the signs of never taking an explosive skill position player early in the last many years. At some point you need to bolster the offense. The league is more and more about offense and we are always playing catch up. Really, what have all these defensive picks gotten us but an endless cycle of medioctity.

Oh well on to the 2017 season!

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree just a bit here Don, the Broncos of 2 years ago, literally won all of their playoff games including the SB because of their defense. The caveat was, they got pressure on the QB with their OLB positions.

As a matter of fact the defense for the patriots clamped down on the Falcons last year and shut down the number one offense in the NFL to come back and win the SB, defense is very important and can be relied upon to win games.

Where the jets have failed is developing the QB, this is something they will try and do this year with Hack and Petty, hopefully the coaches that were brought in by TB can accomplish that.

K'OB likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Because he can't. Prepubescent kids rarely have something to say except 2-liner cliches.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah it's frustrating. Bradway used to take one offensive lineman in the 5th or 6th round in two years and wipe his hands with the position group. Maccagnan seems to have way too much confidence in developing these late round offensive lineman although it appears to have worked so far with Shell.

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Agree.. I think they grabbed guys they liked that were there at the time. Simple as that. How good they are remains to be seen. That goes for every player picked in the draft.
    I think most everyone agrees that this is a long build and that the moves are with a long term vision, that they're not looking to win the SB this upcoming season, that they need improvement throughout the roster, and that the defensive backfield was embarrassing.

Everybody knows they suck, even Woody, it's no revelation, so it's highly unlikely that Mac will be fired in the short term. We'll see over time whether he's on the right track and where they stand next year. Bowles is a whole other story.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he traded away the 3rd round pick when the ohio state center was there for the taking.
    if wesley johnson gets injured, we are in a heap of trouble.
    no matter who is under center, if you can't protect him, you are not going to win much.