Free agency for April - whats left and what can we do

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 30, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

As it stands now the jets have enough room for 1 more player and the rookies. we still have potential cap saving moves we could do if needed (Harris cut 6.5mil, Richardson traded 8 mil) SO here are some potential targets I hope we look at

Micheal Floyd - talented WR with off field issues. We could sign him to a 1 year prove it deal and he would compete with enunwa for the WR2 spot

Erik Walden - 31 tear old LBer who had his best season last year (11 sacks) won't be pricey and would give us the edge rush we badly need if he can perform like he did last year. Could start opposite of jenkins with mouldin rotating in

Sam shields - another injury risk at CB, but a huge upgrade who has performed on the field and wouldn't cost too much. If we sign him and him and clayborne stay healthy they would be our 1 and 2 CBs skrine in the slot and williams and burris to round out 4 and 5. not too bad at all

Byrd - a playmaking roaming the field FS. the type of player we envisions ghilcrest to be. If byrd can stay healthy he would be a huge impact player for us. we could reach an injury settlement with ghilcrest and move on and allow pryor to play in the box like he is best suited for

jacob tamme - nothing great but a solid TE with good hands and some blocking ability and a lot of experience. probably cost close to the vet minimum and good locker room guy

#1 GasedAndConfused, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

Dwight Freeney !!!!! Talk is he was a great influence on the Falcons D

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Nick Mangold and John Phillips (TE) are two guys I would look to sign...
    both would help whatever inexperienced QB we throw out on the field.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

we cut mangold w/o even asking him about taking a pay cut. I doubt we bring him back although I would love to see him back. Time to see what johnson can do

5. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

It is odd that we never offered a pay cut. I can't help but wonder if it had something to do with the alleged, yet supposedly debunked, protest for Fitz.

Pags2112 likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

it's most likely just looking to get younger. we let go of most of the older players we have (marshall, mangold, revis) only harris stuck around. the rest of our roster is pretty young at this point. Forte we can't cut because his cap hit

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets will sign a handful of names that barely anyone recognizes and most of them won't be on the team in September.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A#1 move by a rebuilding team looking to pick up a QB in the draft next year and make a real window.

I'm leaning towards taking the edge rusher in the draft at 6 this year if that's all that's there in terms of A+ talent. Bloody draft is all defense and half the defense is Dee-strings.

9. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Just names to fill in at camp then that will be it.

Br4d likes this.
  10. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

cut harris and put the 6.5 million in the bank. if we can get a free agent at the vet minimum, like the pats often do, then fine.
    otherwise, save the money and roll it over next year. this is a rebuild year, keeping harris makes no sense
    if richardson is kept, then play a 4-3, and harris is not needed either. play lee at outside lb, and someone else in the middle.

Footballgod214 and almbleamal like this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We do our FA shopping at Dollar General.. not Neiman Marcus.

Jets69 and Royal Tee like this.
  12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Played behind 2 of the greatest TE's..then couldn't beat out Fleener? hmmm. Not sure bout him..
    Mangold, I'd re-sign in a heartbeat

13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would add Jacob Tamme to the list.

Reliable pass catching TE on the cheap.

14. Br4d

And that should be it.

The Jets can still spend money in "free agency" this off-season. They can lock up Quincy Enunwa cheaper than they'll be able to do on the open market. Maybe they can make a strategic move with Calvin Pryor *if* they've decided to use him as an in the box SS instead of whatever the heck they were doing with him last year.

Quincy Enunwa is Snacks Harrison in 2014 this off-season.

Calvin Pryor is James Farrior in 2000 this off-season.

We can still have both of them as Jets long-term or we can watch other teams utilize them better than we have and cry about it later.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Would love for the Jets to bring back Mangold. Preferably on a contract that is cheap and he can retire on.

Br4d likes this.
  16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Why though? We need to see if Wes Johnson can hold up for a full season, and Nick needs to chase a title somewhere. Preferably not NE.

Br4d likes this.
  17. Br4d

Like both ideas. I'd bring Mangold back cheap as team-building depth and to play if nothing else opens up for him. I'd have him as an extra OL coach in effect and to step in as the the first replacement at C-G as needed.

We need to build the line. Having him in to play is a bad idea. Having him in to teach is a good one.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

GREAT post....

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

With less than $1 million in cap space currently available $ 9 million minus over $8 to sign the draft class, we are not signing Mangold or any quality vets.
    The only way we could is by releasing someone to create space , opening up one more hole on the roster.
    We will still have to at least 1 more player , either by trade or releasing them just to have the cap space to get through the season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Favorite Jet of this generation. I'm not typically sentimental but in this case I'll make an exception.

Also I can't get the play out of my mind where Petty ended up in a Dolfag sandwich thanks to Wes Johnson's fuck up.