Got to give McCagnan an A so far. Jets will be good in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Mar 18, 2017.

1. JulesWinfield89

JulesWinfield89 Active Member

was this thread supposed to be sarcastic?? I really hope so

2. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

No he didn't. Explain move for move how he did what Idzik did.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idzik inherited a 6-10 team with no cap space. Over his two years, he cut/traded Revis, Cromartie, Sanchez, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, etc. to clear up a lot of cap space. He left behind a bad team with a lot of cap space.

This offseason, Mac had a 5-11 team with no cap space. He cut Revis, Mangold, Clady, Marshall, etc. to clear up cap space. He now has a bad team with some cap space but not even that much.

tbruner12 and FJF like this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I have been a Mac promoter for years. Even on this thread I gave him high marks. But I have changed my opinion based upon this one QB signing.

The Jets were going through with a rebuild. They made some tough decisions, including getting rid of some fan favorites like Nick Mangold. I was OK with it because the Jets were going through a youth movement. Sacrifices needed to be made and the young players like Wesley Johnson, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg needed to play games, mature with that young WR core and be evaluated on their growth.

In free agency they were targeting exclusively young guys in their mid 20's, Claiborne, Beachum, Catanzaro. All good moves in my mind.

But signing a 37 year old QB for $6 million (plus incentives) just throws that philosophy all out the window.

Thats starter money. McCown will be the opening day starter. The two QB's they drafted and are the supposed future of the franchise are now on the bench. What happened to the youth movement?

#84 PulseJet, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  5. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

4 million is not starter money and that's all he gets unless he hits all his incentives. There is no guarantee at all he starts and is just as likely Hack or Petty start.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets will be good in:

Successful Manned Mars landing...

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. PulseJet

Can you cite a quote on that $4 mil? I have read two articles citing $6 million guaranteed plus $7 million in incentives. $5 mio of the $7 mio is a stretch ($3mio for winning the super bowl) but he will be payed $2 million if he plays each game of the full season and another $2 mill if they make the playoffs. So if he plays all 16 games and they go 0-16 he makes $8 million.

See:

Breakdown of Josh McCown's one-year, $6 million contract with the Jets: The $6 million is fully guaranteed. He receives $125,000 for each game in which he plays 50 percent or more of the snaps (max: $2 million). He receives another $2 million if the team makes the playoffs (with 65 percent play time). He gets another $1.5 million if they reach the Super Bowl (with 65 percent play time) and $1.5 million if they win the Super Bowl (65 percent).

Jake likes this.
  8. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

I think next year our cap space will be like $80 million. We have to be patient through this season, hopefully suck it up really bad winning one game against the dolphins lol

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I have to preface this by saying i am mostly on the dark side when it comes to this team......i have seen all sorts of things, both in person and not, that would make anyone wonder how this team still has fan support.

That being said, last year was one of the rare times we actually had multiple younger guys that were draft picks and/or free agents, on the field, making a contribution. If that trend continues next year, it will bode well for the coming 3-4 years.....

Now, herein lies the problem....the jets have zero probowlers to compliment that younger player pool. That has to change. You absolutely have to field at least one pro bowl player on each side of the ball to make a difference.

Oh....and we can also use a franchise type QB to garnish the spread.

10. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I would give him a middling grade thus far, probably a B- but it is very premature to grade a GM on 2 years of work. 2017 will be telling because he needs to hit on some draft picks that will immediately impact the team. Also, if Hack, Petty or if he drafts a QB, and they amount to something substantial at the QB position then the grade obviously goes up.

I will say though that it was good to see Macc return to his original principles because last offseason he veered away from his approach and got royally screwed for it.

11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

What starting qb makes that money? This deal if anything goes right on board with what mac is trying to do.. 1 year 6M (he'll get hurt and/or benched.. to save $ and tank) hopefully throw Hack out there so he can either somehow show us he's our guy (lol) or he'll more than likely lead us to a very high draft pick.

Jake likes this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah he has done a decent job recently-- IF you compare it to his first two years--TERRIBLE. The Revis, Fitzpatrick, Skine and Wilkerson contracts were terrible decisions by him. Devin Smith and Hackenberg were IMO terrible second round picks. Deron Lee is still an unproven first round pick. He should have moved Sheldon last year while he still had some value. I like the recent cuts and his signings of no one over 30 (save mcNown). What took him two years to start making a few decent decisions?

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Nobody knows when the Jets will be good, but I don't mind this approach. I was actually okay with bringing back someone like Geno, going really cheap, and letting the young players compete to see who starts.

The McCown move is fine. It's very incentive-based, so when he gets hurt, we won't owe as much, and he's apparently good in the room with quarterbacks. Assuming we don't draft someone, we have to figure out how good Hackenberg/Petty are this year, so we can have a concrete plan of how to attack QB in 2018. To me, McCown signals that the FO has faith in either Hackenberg or Petty, because one of them is almost guaranteed to play based on McCown's fragility. If they didn't want Hack or Petty to see the light in 2017, they would have signed someone like Cutler.

It's hard to praise Maccagnan too much, as his draft picks and free agent picks haven't really borne much fruit so far. But given where we were in 2016, I think this is the right approach.

Pags2112 likes this.
  14. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

You also have to cut him a break regarding the big spending in free agency when he got here. That wreaks of orders from above.

15. PulseJet

The worst starting QB in the NFL makes that kind of money. Thats who.

16. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'm not defending his overall job is good, but he's done a great job this offseason.

Unfortunately for him I bet Woody cans him next year

17. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

It's not a lot... most qbs are getting 12-18M and the good ones get more than that. We're not spending money elsewhere anyway it's not effecting us

#97 JetLifeLo, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Pags2112 likes this.
  18. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

It's going on 3 years with MM and CO and still a bad team with no QB. How in the world is that an A. And he wiffed on 2 2nd round picks.

tbruner12 and Red Menace like this.
  19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Sadly, $6m is not starter money. Chase Daniel made $7m last season. He's prob not gonna get many incentives, when we're 1-7 it'll be turned over to the young guys.

20. PulseJet

It's more than most QB's backup money. And if he plays 8 games it's $7.5 mil. It's the right value for the worst starter in the league. Which McCown will be.