JETS Free Agency --- Activity & Predictions in here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

We do have a lot of holes yet the DB field in this draft is pretty heavy (from what I've read) though I was hoping to sign at least one CB to replace Revis heading into 2017 with Skrine and Williams is a bit scary unless they think Burris is ready to step in and contribute at a high level ...

We still have holes at OL, TE, LB, CB, S, and yes of course QB ...

If we sign Cutler or Ge-NO I might throw up ...

I'm all for tanking 17 and heading into the 18 draft with a top 3 pick but I thought we would at least sign one high priced free agent lots of the defensive backs were good, and very young yet are now all gone ... let's see how phase 2 shapes up ...

Keeping in mind that spending big (AKA the Dolphins, Titans, Bucs, Redskins, in years past, Jags, etc) means nothing as its all about team unity and continuity ... locker room presence etc ... yet with our HC that seems like non existent with us so who knows how this will turn out for us ...

Here is to hoping we trade down grab a few extra picks and trade Sheldon for a top 100 pick which could net us 7 picks in the top 107 !

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. He can have failures if he actually has successes & shows some inkling of learning from his mistakes.

What has he done well in 2 years time..? The team stinks, the scheme stinks, the game management stinks & there is no chemistry in the locker room...

What exactly are the positives w. this guy?? At least Rex for all his fault's would have you ready to run through a wall for him w. his inspiring press conferences...Bowles press conferences are like watching paint dry. Does the guy even wanna be coaching? Does he even consider himself PART of the Jets organization??

I'm all for the guy proving me wrong. I respect his playing career...his coaching resume & his reputation for being a sound football mind. But I need to see it in action...thus far all I've seen is a guy who can't motivate his team, shows zero intensity or fire..and can't put a team vision in motion for any sustainability.

3. Beki

Beki Active Member

I think Macc should slowly start working on bringing in 2nd-3rd tier players for a visit at least.
    I was checking who is out here yet after top FA players signed:

QB: Geno and that's it, Leave Cutler alone and let Geno-Petty-Hackenberg to battle it out.
    TE: No one who I would want. Let's roll with ASJ or draft a TE.
    OT: We gave Ijalana a bigger contract and I guess he is the starting LT. In RT, there is not any player who would give us any improvement, so give the chance to Shell.
    Pass rusher: We need one, that is sure. Maybe Alex Okafor or Jarvis Jones.
    Inside LB: Kevin Minter without any hesitation.
    CB: Marcus Cooper, Morris Claiborne or Prince Amukamara
    S: TJ McDonald

I would be really statisfied with Minter, Claiborne and McDonald.

What do you think?

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think he's done decent developing some of the younger players like Simon, the receivers, Burris, Leonard Williams. He's got work to do no doubt. We shouldn't put much stock into the press conferences, we never really get anything out of them. I'm waiting to see if he can prove me wrong this year coming up. Bowles has ripped into the team before behind closed doors.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't understand any fan wanting Geno back. He is terrible. However, if the deal is for vet minimum and he wants to battle it out in camp to take Petty's spot, I could see it. Can't have a depth chart with just those 3 guys though. I would prefer Cutler, Osweiler, Semien, etc. my #1 wish is that Hackenberg steps up to the plate, proves everyone wrong, and takes the job from everyone.

6. General Eclectic

General Eclectic New Member

Prince is reportedly going to the Bears. I would like to see them sign Claiborne though. I feel like his market is going to be the same Amukamara's was last year because of his history with injuries. Could possibly bring him in here on a one year deal.

7. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I don't want geno back because I still think he has something left to give. He's just the first name that comes to mind when I think of an expendable player.

Get RG3, Osweiler, any of those guys who are gonna stink up the joint. Hack, Crappy Free Agent, and Petty (Petty should be 3rd string, he is what he is)

8. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

Macc is going to continue to look for FA scraps so as not to jeopardize next years cap space too badly. He's going to want to roll over as much as possible. We're slated to have over $100 million to spend next year after all the dead money comes off the books and Harris/Decker and probably Skrine are let go. So next season is going to be a free-for-all as well as a probable high pick for a QB like Darnold or Rosen. So fuck it. 2017 is just going to be a shitshow, but 2018 and beyond can be quite incredible if done correctly.

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The guys he's re-signing are younger players who have upside, who were STs contributors and played pretty well when they got the chance. We have too many holes already. If Mac hadn't re-signed those players, it would have been impossible to fill all the holes before the season started.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I like the fact that you want to tank, but RG3 wouldn't necessarily stink up the joint, and if Petty weren't coming off shoulder surgery and may be limited or miss OTAs, he would probably be starting.

11. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

well, griffin would probably get hurt at some point. And he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire in Cleveland when healthy.

12. NCJetsfan

I agree with your overall philosophy of bringing in 2nd and 3rd tier players and like some of the players/positions you suggest.

I disagree with your comments on a number of the positions.

The Jets need to have at least 3 TEs on the roster. Unless they plan on drafting two TEs or really like Braedon Bowman, Eric Tomlinson, or Jason Vander Laan (all already on the roster), they need to add two TEs to ASJ. Mychal Rivera would be a decent signing imo. He was a pretty big part of Oakland's offense for a couple of seasons and he's still young. He's not great, but then no 2nd or 3rd tier player will be.

They had to re-sign Ijalana as insurance in case they are unable to sign a FA LT or draft an LT. He is not a starting-quality LT, but they had no one on the roster who could even begin to play the position. The plan had better not be to start him this season. Even so, they need a backup. IMO they need to be balls to the wall to sign Beachum.

Okafor and Jones are not the answer at pass rusher and the Jets would have to overpay to get them. The draft is deep with pass rushers. This should definitely be a position the Jets address in the draft. QB, CB, and OLB are the 3 main positions that teams need to draft and develop for themselves, because otherwise, seldom are there really good players at those positions available in FA, and those that are get way overpaid and it screws up the cap and team salary structure.

Kevin Minter would be a great add, but is he going to be willing to come to the Jets and play for Bowles again? Tony Jefferson sure didn't want to.

If they can sign one of those three CBs to a reasonable contract, I would love it.

Why sign a SS? They need a FS. McDonald's a good player, no doubt, but imo Bradley McDougald would be a better choice than McDonald because of the position needs.

13. NCJetsfan

Griffin would likely wind up getting hurt. I guess I'm mistaken, but I thought I had read that he played pretty well for the Browns before he got injured, but looking at his season stats, it doesn't appear that he did.

Still, I don't want to pay a player to come here to see him get injured and not contribute anything.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dsmiles13 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Benny Cunningham is in the building.

It's like a HOF gallery at the moment.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Why not throw an offer at Buffalo's Mike Gilleslee? Averaged almost 6 yards a carry with 9 TDs last year...he's an RFA that would only cost a 5th round pick. Then you don't have to worry about RB with Powell, Gilleslee and Forte next season. Buffalo doesn't have any money to match and it wouldn't take that much to land him.

He's a stout RB with big play ability

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  17. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

playtowinthegame likes this.
  18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

And P, PR, KR and Coach

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that would be a nice target for sure if we pass on fournette. so many RBs out there right now though not getting signed. AP, murray, charles to name a few. lacy just signed a cheap 1 year deal with seattle

20. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I wouldnt mind a Bradley McDougald (S) or a Zach Brown (ILB) free-agent signing.