49ers and Jets interested in Brian Hoyer.....please God no

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by STARoSCREAM, Mar 8, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I too am rooting for Petty and Hack, but I'm not willing to sacrifice more wasted time in their "development". If one or the other can step up and become the future QB, great, I'll be happy. But they need to show they can do it NOW. Is that fair to them? I would say yes, After all, they both got drafted and signed to play pro football and lot of other guys have not, so they've been given an opportunity not given to many. I'd say that's entirely fair.

Like I said, if this team had the track record of the Packers, Steelers, Broncos, Cowboys, with developing QBs I'd be more inclined to give them time, but Macc has no such record. He took a chance, good for him, but he might well have missed, and if he's worth anything as a GM, he needs to admits hi mistakes and move on, not keep throwing good money after bad. If Petty or Hack have the goods, lets see it, or let's move on.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why would the Saints or Bears be worse than the Jets?

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Its March. Give it until August at least. And I know where your coming from, you want Watson. You think he's the man. We'll see if your right.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

He had Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian, that's it, he had no veteran stop gap QB on the roster during the regular season.

When Trevor got hurt Paxton came in for 2 games, then it went back to Trevor.

Not only did Trevor do a good job, but Elway might parlay that into a draft pick as teams are inquiring about Trevor and are willing to part with a draft pick for him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

It's not a set-in-stone guarantee, just an example. . Depending on how 2017 flushes out you could slot any number of teams in the Bears/Saints place (e.g. a QB injury here and there and the draft order gets reshuffled).

As for the Bears and Saints,
    Chi: (no QB, Jeffries up in the air, worse division record now that Detroit's continuing to improve).
    NO: Brees alone can no longer make up for that defense.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Somebody has to start the first quarter of the season next year before we throw the young guys a bone and wait for the 2018 draft.

Hoyer would be just fine in that role. The downside is that he might be good enough to win 2 games early and put us in a bad spot for the #1 pick, also in a bad spot for replacing him when we suddenly realized that 7-9 was the final destination with him playing QB for us.

7. Red Menace

The problem is TB, Mac has no say on who starts, if TB doesn't feel he is ready then we won't see either of them again.

Based on how he handled Petty last year, putting him in with 3 weeks left behind a bad and depleted OL, I don't have any confidence that TB will make the right decision again this year.

8. Fasten your seatbelts kids...it's gonna be an utterly miserable 2-3 years...you think the offense was bad before?? Just wait..

Meanwhile the Patriots could leave a starting 11 spot vacant on the field & they'd still get every bounce, every call & every break.

Why are we such fools to support this pitiful franchise?

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, maybe NOW they have a plan. but where was that "plan" before? That's what I'm talking about. How in the hell could Macc not have seen that his "plan", wasn't working before? And it sure does have something to do with who the position - ALL - the coaches are! The coaches need to know how to implement the plan. If you want a West Coast offense implemented you'd better have coaches who know what that is and can coach it. Talk about nonsensical!

And enough with the platitudes like "sometimes you have to take a step backwards before you can take two steps forward". No shit Sherlock! How did signing Fitz fit into that recipe? That move was more like 10 steps backwards, as they wasted a great chance to give Petty and especially Hack at least practice reps, if not actual playing time. That was no "plan for the future", that was "Win now and the hell with the future". So don't try and make that out to be part of some "master plan".

And what they've done with Hack is the textbook definition of "coddled", whether by accident or design, they have kept him away from any pressure. afraid that he'll crack. That is not the make up of a franchise, or even above average, QB. He's been made out to have been traumatized by his experience at Penn State. If that's true, why in the hell did Macc invest a 2nd round pick in him? And if it isn't true, then he ought to be able to at least demonstrate some ability to eventually play in an actual game.

I'm not declaring him a bust...YET. But if they don't take the training wheels off him and let him prove what he can do that tells me that he wasn;t worth the pick or the time and money invested in him. But if he steps up and shows that he can fulfill the promise, great. AM I impatient? You're damn right! When there are "expansion" teams that have won more than the Jets, yeah, I'm done having patience.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

hoyer is a good stopgap, would prefer geno because he's cheaper.

whatever, whoever gets us to the #1 overall pick, thats who I want. Anyone hear from Curtis Painter lately?

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

smh

he had no vet during the regular season because simien and lynch proved themselves to be better than the stop gap during the pre-season ... elway still made sure that he had the vet safety net in case the young guys did not look ready

if hack or petty look ready during the pre-season then hoyer would not see the field either, come regular season

Red Menace likes this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

As much as it sucks to say. We need a third body on the roster. No way can we go with Petty and Hack for the season. Petty is coming off surgery and will likely miss OTAs, mini camp and some of camp before he can begin to practice. With our inexperienced o line , (partial o line) QB injuries are near guaranteed. We need a third body. Be it Hoyer for $2mill, Geno. Anyone we can sign cheap, and dispose of with out penalty.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Top Ten List for Why We Are Jets Fans

10. We like comedies and the Jets are always good for a laugh.
    9. We like tragedies and the Jets will always leave you crying.
    8. We like reality TV and there is nothing more real than realizing that you have 8 meaningless weeks of Sunday TV left in the season.
    7. Our moms and pops might have beat us when we were kids but the Jets beat nobody.
    6. We're all penny-pinchers at heart and everybody is always trying and usually succeeding at getting the Jets quarter back.
    5. The couch, it is good to us on a fall Sunday afternoon and Golf announcers never talk loud enough to wake us up at the end.
    4. Boomer and Carton in the morning - nothing like listening to the Jets latest debacle described between coffee and donuts on the freeway.
    3. Joe and Evan - OMG it's like Joe was in my living room the day before when the nachos hit the wall above the TV at the end.
    2. http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/j...ts-mentions-in-david-lettermans-top-ten-lists
    1. When they finally win the damn thing it will be like a meatball parmigiana sundae with whipped cream on top!

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Is Brian Hoyer the bald Ryan Fitzpatrick; or is Ryan Fitzpatrick the hirsute Brian Hoyer? Either way, you're getting some very sub-par quarterback play.

15. PulseJet

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

17. PulseJet

Cmon, Fitz parlayed a $3 million contract in 2015 into $12 million in 2016. There is money to be made for just being competent!

18. Red Menace

I trust Kubiak with that type of call over TB.

NCJetsfan and All Gas No Shake like this.
  19. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

HAHA ME TOO!!!

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  20. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

To me, that says that they're unwilling to pay Washington's asking price. Hoyer will be the stopgap until they sign Cousins away next year or groom a young QB. I doubt they go QB at #2, but they may grab one in Rd2 or 3 if one falls.