OJ Howard at 6?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Feb 28, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Would fill a hole that has never been filled and seems like a pretty clean prospect.

Or we can draft another defensive player like Darron Lee, Calvin Pryor,Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, and Quentin Coples because of perceived value.

xxedge72x likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Personally, I would do this if Mahomes, Watson, Fournette, Cook were already gone. I know there are many who would much rather pick a "D" player whom they believe is superior, but I can only ask them: Despite all the money and picks spent on "D" in the last decade, where has that gotten them?

Here's what the "D" folks really need to stop and think about: The rules have changed, making it so that a good QB - let alone a Brady - is given every opportunity to lead their team back in the 4th quarter. This was done to keep up fan interest. So there is almost NO way even a great defense can prevent this. The only solution is to have an offense that can do this to other team. The Jets clearly do not have that kind of offense, and must get there in a hurry.

3. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Normally I'm not big on TE this early, but the dude is a damn beast. Runs good routes, good hands, good size. Instant contributor on offense. Great help for the future.

xxedge72x and FJF like this.
  4. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

While I really like Howard and believe he's going to be a solid player, there will be a better valued player at #6.

There are some really solid TE's the will be available in Rd 2 and 3. Evan Engram, Gerald Everret and Adam Shaheen (he's a monster, big and fast) are all possibilties

5. QBorbust

QBorbust New Member

I would love it upgrades the whole offense. Could turn into a weapon like we haven't had in a while. We need to draft offense and develop them before we draft our QB next year.

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

if you want to go offense at #6 you grab Bo Jackson , ups i mean leonard fournette

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I ve debated this in my mind about 1000xs but taking a gem (OL QB TE) at 6 this year is soo tempting but doing so you miss the forest cause the trees are in the way..

The WHOLE team is a mess guys...use the #6 (if we can and get a trade with Phila for example)

Trade down ...get 3 more picks ...with the comp pick have like 10 selections...trade Sheldon maybe more...you may have to start your selections at 12 or 33 but keep your pants on and go by what u need (NOT BPA).... rebuild the trenches and the O first then your D

jmho

#7 NYJetsO12, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    PulseJet likes this.
  8. You make a good point about trading down. If they can move sheldon & get a decent return for #6...combined w. the compensatory #3 we already have...we could drastically change the tide of this franchise in what appears to be a strong draft.

I'm not sure about rebuilding the trenches though...the board will dictate that. It's about adding as much cohesive talent as possible. The trenches are certainly important..but they no longer are the be all end all & should not be treated as such.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

TY

I think Br4d originally thought of a trade down and Ive been a supporter

I see that the talent we need should be on offense mostly..loading up with the defense when you score no points is useless imo

If the Jets come away with later rounds selections for TE RB QB and OL Ill be a happy camper

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Trading down in first and coming away with an elite talent in Howard and an extra pick or two would be a great start to a rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxedge72x likes this.
  11. JethroTull

Bump after OJ Howard's combine performance.

I think he now merits consideration at #6.

cgrec, xxedge72x and FJF like this.
  12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

The film says he merited consideration at 6 before the combine. The guy is an absolute freak and a monster blocker, probably the best TE prospect we've seen in 5-10 years. I think he was the fastest TE ever clocked at his size. Very good body control, hands catcher, runs great routes, and an extension of the offensive line. He's a can't miss, blue chip prospect. I would be very happy to add his talent to our team.

With that said, there are other players that also merit consideration, but in terms of pure talent, I think the only guy you can argue as a better prospect is Myles Garrett.

xxedge72x likes this.
  13. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Can this guy block or what? Serious question.

14. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Hell Nah. He has most of the tools but he tends to drop the easy passes at times. The #6 pick is to high for him to be picked. Most likely in a trade down. But it comes down to if: Watson, Adams, or Fournette is still on the board at #6.

15. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

All four of those guys will most likely be there at 6. i've always been in favor of taking the best player on your board, regardless of position. Especially if you're picking in the top ten.

16. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Yeah but being the Jets if all those you listed are still avaliable, they'll pick Lattimore. who will then tear his acl getting out of bed for the first day of camp

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

From what I've read and seen he's as much a blocker as receiver. The guy is an absolute baller and a complete TE. I'm sold with this being the right pick for the Jets.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  18. JethroTull

I think the best argument against Howard at 6 is the depth at TE this year. There will likely be a really good prospect available in the second round.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Those that think you can trade down and still select Howard, how far down can you go? I wouldn't want to trade past down the Bills @ 10

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Its a weak argument though. you are settling for lesser players using that theory.