Full Tear Down

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You raise a lot of good points, and I have the same concerns about Bowles, especially. I'm not as sure how Macc is doing. I do think he's done better than Idzik - a low bar for sure, but still - so I want to see what he does this FA/Draft season. He needs to hit a lot of HRs to justify keeping him.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It'll be no surprise to you, but I disagree. Mac hasn't shit the bed yet. Calling Smith and Hack dumb choices is dumb. It's way too early to judge those picks. If they wind up being busts, then there'll be plenty of time to call those dumb moves. You have NO idea of how other GMs had Hack rated or when they would have taken him. You've never been an NFL GM, don't know the pressure he's under to find a QB, and don't know a fraction of what Mac knows about scouting and player talent, so get off your high horse. If Hack turns out to be the Jets FQB, it WILL have been a great pick and Mac will look like a genius.

Mac stayed put and took Williams. He does deserve credit for that. Other GMs very likely would have either traded down or taken another player at a position of need. He should get credit for taking the BPA.

PulseJet likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

More potential cuts are coming:

Marcus Gilchrist, Calvin Pryor, Eric Decker, Buster Skrine per Cimini.

xxedge72x and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I never thought this day would come

almost brings a tear to my eye. In two years we could have Leonard Fournette and Sam Darnold.

5. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

If we draft fournette we need to also look at some OL in FA to shore up our front.

The only guy i don't want to draft is Jonathan Allen purely bc we have so many holes elsewhere.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

7. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Hopefully we can get maybe a 4th for Pryor. With Decker's surgeries he is definitely a question mark but without him I think this might put us in play for Corey Davis at #6. We're going after Tony Jefferson and I wish we could also target Bucs FS Mcdougald since Gilchrist and Pryor are likely goners.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but looking back at the timeline I think there is a good chance shit went down like this:

Mgmt selects Bowles
    Interview with Mac is "can you work with this man". The answer is yes, and Mac is hired.
    Bowles makes significant number of decisions on who is brought in.

Yes, I have no evidence to back it up, but looking even at bad acquisitions (ex. Revis) you can see that the contracts were structured in such a way that Jets can release them without hurting after 2 years. There is no doubt as to who was making the terms, it can only be Mac.
    So the only good thing about those bad singings was Mac's doing.

These 2 years are the key for me -- that's what I think Bowles was given to do it his way. If you accept this premise, a lot of happenings start to make sense. Take for example Fitz: clearly a Bowles/Gailey's boy. It must've been Mac trying to be careful with Fitz's contract. It could not have possibly been HC. I bet bringing Fitz back was Bowles' gamble.

This is why I believe Bowles is now on the back seat, and Mac is driving. Truly driving for the 1st time.
    Do you think Bowles would just start gutting the vets like this, after the shit season when his golden boy failed, and his seat boiling under him? No way in hell.

To me the last 2 years were evaluation of Mac the $$ guy. And he scored very high in my book. He kept the door to the future ajar, and in a very hostile situation. Imagine your subordinate has as much power with your boss as you do. How would you've done in this environment?

Now is the time to see how Mac the team builder does.

I think Bowles stays for 2017, as a placeholder for the transitional team. His only shot at staying past that is to play Mac's fiddle and to show improvement as HC.

Yes, it is a wishful thinking, but I'll be sticking to it for now.

jixxjr, thedrjay, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Peebag and FJF like this.
  10. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Gilchrist, Decker and Skrine I can see.

But Pryor? He might not be great, but he's not bad. Plus he's 24 years old, only costs $2.7m, and we save no money cutting him. We still have to field a team.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

2017 has slight potential because 2016 was so pathetic. Seeing young, hungry, players should excite the fan base. Problem is, we don't know if we have those players or not. A lot is unknown right now. At best, the Jets could put together a fun roster, who gives it their all, learn along the way, and finish around (8-8). At worst: (0-16) and everyone is fired. Neither would shock me.

13. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Woody is leaving for London and Macc is free to build the team they way he wants. No more half-assed "competitive" rebuilds.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Will easily be the best thing Trump did

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You mean Woody's brother is free to do whatever he wants and hopefully the first thing he does is fire Maccagnan and Bowles.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+10000

Not wishful thinking at all

I had some very similar posts months ago..that Mac purposely or unwillingly listened to the dummie TB

The Contracts however were all Macs doing eg way overpay for Mevi$ the Shitz rip off some bad drafting Lee and Hack etc

Yes he got escape clauses on the big money deals but overall my faith in him is over...agree completely that he was setup to have bubba as his equal which is NOT right...I am grading Mac at C and TB F minus so far...they have been tied at the hip too long!

I have never seen such despair and anger on this Board,,,SMH...The REAL losers are you and me THE FANS

Yes Woody should give Macagnan some slack but this Draft and 2017 will be hung on him and the HC

Perhaps MM comes out smelling like a rose but I doubt it

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We don't know Smith and Hack won't be busts, but they literally couldn't have been any worse than they've been. Also, Williams wasn't the BPA. There were two defensive players we were considering, Williams and Vic Beasley. As a pass rushing OLB, Beasley was more of a need, but the scouts graded Williams higher, so we took Williams. Can't say Williams is better when Beasley was a first team All Pro last year.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At the time, Williams was the BPA, NOT Beasley. Beasley was a need pick. Williams was the BPA and the safest pick. There were a number of questions about Beasley.

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Macc may know something we don't know. Like his job is guaranteed and he gets to pick the next coach. With all the cuts and whats upcoming (Pryor & Decker!), it truly looks like he's aiming for a 2-14 and the number one pick. Right now the Jets are $ 100m under the cap for 2018. Which would put the Jets in the position of having the number 1 pick (Darnold?) and a substantial amount of money to play with in freee agency. Think that might entice someone like Sean Payton to come here to coach?

Catfish Billy and NYJetsO12 like this.