Report: Jets Will Target Tony Jefferson During 2017 NFL Free Agency

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RubenDias, Mar 3, 2017.

1. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

2. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Not crazy about this. I would rather have AJ Bouye as the primary DB target who is also 25. I like the thought of Rontez and Pryor better than Burris and ???.

Bouye, Burris, and Skrine could be a solid young unit to build on. Draft a safety this year and baptize by fire.

Why is Gilchrist still on this team?

NOVAJET likes this.
  3. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

The Jets have just freed up a ton of money with all the cuts. Go after both of them.

blackssmagic likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jefferson would be a solid signing. Hopefully we get an OT, Jefferson and another DB in FA.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I would definitely go after Jefferson. While I think Bouye is an excellent young CB, and I'd rather the Jets sign him than Trumaine Johnson, or Stephon Gilmore, I just don't like the idea of signing top tier FA CBs. One has to pay them too much money, and then too much of the cap space is tied up at the CB position.

I'd rather the Jets go after 2nd tier or very young CBs who would be cheaper. Following are the FA CBs who are 27 and younger. I don't know much about them, and whether they're better suited to press man-to-man or zone schemes, or how good they might be. What do you guys think of these players? Are any of them any good and/or have potential? I've bolded the ones who appear most appealing to me. I'd love to steal Ryan from NE, but doubt he'd do it, even if we paid him a fortune.

Logan Ryan
    , 26 NE - He played in 16 games, had 92 tackles, 1 sack, 3 QB hits, a forced fumble and 2 interceptions this past season.

D.J. Hayden, 26 Oakland - He played in 11 games and had 37 tackles and one forced fumble this past season.

Marcus Cooper, 27 Cardinals - He played in 15 games and had 69 tackles this past season.

Dre Kirkpatrick, 27 Bengals - He played in 15 games and 45 tackles this past season.

Morris Claiborne, 27 Cowpokes - He played in only 7 games, had 26 tackles and 1 interception this past season.

Prince Amukamara, 27 Jaguars - He played in 14 games and had 49 tackles this past season.

Josh Robinson, 26 Tampa Bay - He played in 16 games and had 8 tackles this past season.

Antwon Blake, 26 Titans - He played in 16 games and had 42 tackles this past season.

Johnathan Banks, 26 Bears - He played in 9 games and had 6 tackles this past season.

Corey White, 26 Bills - He played in 15 games, had 30 tackles and 2 interceptions this past season.

Sterling Moore
    , 27 Saints - He played in 13 games, had 56 tackles and 2 interceptions this past season.

Darryl Morris, 26 Colts - He played in 11 games, had 35 tackles, 2 QB hits and an interception this past season.

Leonard Johnson, 26 Panthers - He played in 14 games, had 30 tackles, 1 sack and 1 QB hit this past season.

Neiko Thorpe, 27 Seahawks - He played in 15 games and had 18 tackles this past season.

Trevin Wade, 27 Giants - He played in 16 games and had 26 tackles this past season.

Justin Gilbert, 25 Steelers - He played in 12 games and had 2 tackles this past season.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, 23 Dolphins - He played in 4 games this past season. Isn't think the kid that was considered a can't miss CB prospect just a couple of years ago who suffered the devastating injury? If so, did the injury ruin him?

Asa Jackson, 27 Lions - He played in 4 games and had 7 tackles this past season.

Dwayne Gratz, 26 Eagles - He played in 6 games and had 5 tackles this past season.

Brandon Boykin, 26 Bengals - He played in 4 games this past season.

Joshua Thomas, 27 Cowpokes - He played in 4 games this past season.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, 27 Falcons - He played in one game this past season.

Kayvon Webster, 26 Broncos - He played in 13 games and had 7 tackles this past season.

ajax and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Jefferson would be a great pickup. He's young, already familiar with Bowles' defense, it's a position of need. Curiously, with two or three top rated safeties in the upcoming draft, there's a very good chance one of them will be the BPA at #6. I wonder how signing Jefferson would impact the Jets' decision making if that comes to pass. The article suggests the Jets may be trying to trade Pryor, which, if true, means the Jets might be counting on Jefferson + Hooker/Adams at safety. That would certainly be a lot more speed at safety than the Jets have had in a very long time.

kevda5n9ne, wewantsapp and NYJFOREVER like this.
  7. Bowles is not gonna do that b.c he is a DB guy. He will be carried off the field,removed of duties kicking & screaming before he lets last year's secondary garbage happen again. It's likely the 1 area of the team that struggled he takes personally.

I'd much rather take a younger,cheaper DB we can build around. But I'm not sure Bowles feels the same.He wants his secondary fixed w. big names

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

You're probably right about Bowles. If so, at least he's passionate about something!

I hope that Mac tells him to forget about any big name FAs. That he's going to do things the right way, and get good young players the team can build with or around. That he's not gonna spend big money on 2-3 players, but instead he's gonna sign a number of younger, cheaper players to plug some of the holes, upgrade competition and depth, and save some of the cap space for next year.

I'd love to see him sign Jefferson and one or maybe even 2 CBs from the list above, an LT (Beachum, Whitworth or Reiff), a TE, an OG and RT to upgrade depth and competition, an ILB, and maybe a QB and a FB (if there is a good young one and they're thinking about drafting Fournette).

#8 NCJetsfan, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Bouye and Jefferson both 25 and have ties to HC/GM. Seem like a very logical way to spend some of this salary cap space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wewantsapp and cgrec like this.
  10. I'm actually ok w. Jefferson...b.c

1. He's still relatively young
    2. He's been very productive
    3. He'll be brought here to settle down the back end not be asked to be a super star
    4.He knows Bowles scheme from AZ

Corner is where I'd like to see alittle more youth & sensibility. That said..if Gilmore wants to sign here am i gonna object? Absolutely not. He's a top 5 corner in the league..knows the division & would go a long way to bringing us back to respectability on D.

11. NCJetsfan

So does Marcus Cooper.

EDIT: I was mistaken about the connection. Cooper went to the Cardinals after Bowles had come to the Jets.

#11 NCJetsfan, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    wewantsapp and jgjet like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Doesn't Gilmore gamble and freelance too often? If so, I wouldn't touch him. Those types of CBs are nothing but trouble. For every great play they make, they make 1-2 huge mistakes trying to be a hero, rather than just being disciplined and doing their job. Being a top 5, he also would command a huge contract. No thanks.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well Cooper is older, not as good but he will probably be much cheaper. Don't think he has any ties either.

14. NCJetsfan

Cooper is 27. My bad. Thanks for setting me straight. I saw that he was with the Cardinals and thought that maybe Bowles had experience with him, but just looked him up and saw that he just went to the Cardinals last season and was with KC previously. The Cardinals connection was the reason I thought he might be of interest. Never mind! LOL

15. I dont know how picky & choosy we can be w. the secondary. You could've put 4-5 high school players back there last year & it wouldn't have looked much different.Bottom line is Gilmore isn't gonna get beat over the top too often,has ball skills & can tackle.

As for the gambling thing...I think Bowles wants more of that style play. He keeps preaching turnovers & making big plays. The price tag is the biggest pause for me..but again..w. all the cap space & holes on this team..it likely doesn't make sense to just stand pat. We wanna build through the draft for sure..but we shouldn't ignore other avenues that improve the team if they are fiscally responsible.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Signing Jefferson would be a good pickup for all the reasons listed. If they do get him, my sense is that they will NOT then take a S at 6.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I agree that we shouldn't ignore other avenues. That's why I said that I hope the Jets sign two of the cheaper CBs.

IMO signing Gilmore wouldn't be fiscally responsible unless he signs for a lot less than I think he would. If they sign him, I'll root for him, but I just despise that type of CB. It's one thing for a CB to be a ball hawk, but is disciplined and knows when to go for the ball and when not to. It's quite another when the CB is reckless. Now Gilmore may not be reckless. He may be more disciplined than I think. If so, fine, but everything I've heard about him suggests that he isn't very disciplined.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Cut Gilchrist, trade Pryor for a deflated football and bring in Jefferson and AJ Bouye.

almbleamal likes this.
  19. I havent seen that from Gilmore. He's always been a solid cover guy in my estimation...he gets beat..no doubt...but solid all around. There maybe some truth to the gambling stuff...but I can't add to that first hand. Everything I've seen Ive liked. Cept for perhaps that price tag.

20. John

John Active Member

YES PLEASE FOR JEFFERSON