The Jets Probably Won’t Be Able to Void Darrelle Revis’ Cap Hit No Matter What Happens

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Feb 19, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LOL

My point is not about how he traded himself...plenty of agents/players do that. But to me Mevi$ represents everything ugly about the NFL eg NOT a team player but will grab a big contract

If he is a typical player you admire well be my guest. But don't make excuses for his sh*tty personality

Sure he went to TB ..so what??. His attitude always sucked! Maybe that's why Jets were not so eager for his return

He still is a mercenary...let everyone know he wanted best deal for himself and that's it. Now he faces possible jail,,well sorry about that but your lawyers is tops

2. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

God forbid a player try to get as much money as he can out of a profession that doesn't last long.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

unless i'm wrong he is guaranteed 6m but the cap hit is still 8m because of prorated bonuses. nm, that appears to be a roster bonus which they could save if they cut him early.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

We will see what kind of gambler maccagnan is, either way he probably gets fired after this year anyway.

5. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

Idzik who is a clueless idiot was the only one was not eager for Revis's return.

Revis undoubtedly looked out for #1 and held out in 2010, but no one ever said he was not a good team mate. He liked being a Jet. He didn't want to be traded to TB and he reached out to the Jets and got no response before calling the Pats.

How can you blame a guy for wanting to get paid as much as possible? He was the best corner I have ever seen play for the Jets by far. 09 and 10 would not have happened without him. Mac overpaid to get him back, and now they are paying for it. He's old and not his former self. But to call him a mercenary with a shitty personality is harsh.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's easy my man, because he is a greedy bastard. Since he came into the NFL, it's always been about money with him. IMO, it's one thing to quietly go about one's job, and then when contract time comes, have your agent let the team know that he expects to be well-compensated. Then you honor the contract you held out for.

It's quite another to be quite verbal about expecting to get paid, hold out for a certain amount, then hold out again the next year and not honor the contract you pushed for the year before. That's greed, pure and simple.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha absolutely. Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy me a boat.

One of the things that gets me is the number of athletes (and movie stars) that get into tax trouble, owing the IRS millions. A lot of athletes get busted for not reporting income from signing baseballs. Dumb stuff like that. $1000 become $100,000 pretty quick with interest and penalties.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for them, but at the same time they are good at sports, not accounting. And many fall victim.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Amazing statistic, 78 ℅ of NFL Players are bankrupt in less than 5 years after retirement. If you took every NFL roster , only 2 players per team will not be bankrupt within 5 years of retirement.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Do you mean 2 of the 11 players on the field at a given time?

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

:confused::eek:o_O

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The statistic is actually
    • By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.
    http://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/23/105789480/how-and-why-athletes-go-broke
    The "under financial stress" can mean many things, those numbers also include undrafted free agents who made nowhere near the money as top draft picks with much shorter careers. An actual study of NFL players who had been drafted between 1996 and 2003 determined 16.66% of players filed for bankruptcy during the 1st 12 years of retirement
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/1-in-6-nfl-players-go-bankrupt/

Those numbers surely include some strategic defaults but is nowhere near your 78%

#33 The Waterboy, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

wow...I knew it was high. NFL has been doing a lot (lately? last 10-15 yrs?) to educate the young players on how NOT to become bankrupt. Hopefully it will start working, at least for some of them. But it's like they've hit the lottery...every friend and family member coming at them 24 hrs a day from all directions for a hand out and for a 'business investment'.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Except for those states where six teams play.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I thought so originally but now with these fight charges I doubt he wants to go out with that story being his last. I could see a motivated Revis looking to join a contender and generate some good will before he goes out. Pittsburgh has some cap space, maybe he signs there on a 1 or 2 year deal to close out his career especially since he's trying to establish business rapport in the city

#36 BrowningNagle, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

nobody is as stupid as the jets to give a washed vet a megadeal so yes he will retire

Br4d and James Hasty like this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No one foresaw Revis' epic downfall. To be honest, I think most expected he would still play well, perhaps not elite, but well enough to still maintain his position as CB1.

But as constructed, Revis' deal is not terrible. Macc structured it with the ability to get out after 2 seasons, and that is what will happen in short order.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

But there is no way he was worth the money the jets paid him at the time the deal was signed. There IS a reason why the Pats said no thanks to Revis when he was demanding the moon to sign somewhere.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. Do I think he was overpaid, of course, but that's what free agency is all about. Given Revis' stature within the Jets organization, the story with him holding out, getting injured, etc. Jets had to overpay him to come back here to make things right. The organization was in turmoil with the firing of a GM and a HC who was over his head. They needed to get people in the seats and in order to do so they signed one of the best players to wear a Jets uniform.

What separates great teams from middling or bad ones is they know when to let go of players, when to pay or not to pay, etc. Jets cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the Patriots, which is harsh to say as a Jets fan but it's the truth. Jets caved because they needed a financial boost, a morale boost. Revis played well for 9 games and then completely fell off the face of the planet. Next season he will not be on this team.

tomdeb likes this.