Solomon Thomas

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We probably should all get mad now and get it out of the way.

2. Red Menace

Is this a new category? Elite prospects?

Are they great at having potential?

Is that like a receptionist being called an....Administrative Support Executive.

Ozymandias likes this.
  3. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Do i really need to explain? they can potentially be elite in the future . Example Leonard williams he was an elite prospect before playing a snap in the nfl.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

YES!

If we take another "D" guy with the 1st pick, unless its Garrett, then it's clear the Jets don't get it. They've spent WAAAAAAAYYYYY more moeny on "D" in the past decade than on "O" and what has it gotten them? There will be plenty of guys that can be taken on "D" in later rounds.

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Relax man! Just a topic of discussion.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Solomon Thomas is most definitely dominant on tape. Check him out.

Though, I didn't compare the two. I was comparing Myles Garrett's draft stock to Leo's a few years ago. I fully expect Garrett to go number one, but then again, I thought Leo would go 1-3 because he was the BPA in that draft. Draft rarely goes as you'd expect it to.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes I would be mad as Peter Finch in the movie Network.

8. boozer32

Gholston was dominant too. This guy is really small and we already have child/man from last years draft. We wasted a 1st round pick last year its time for Macc to man up and grow some balls and identify the problems with this team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. b.reyes16

I don't quite see what the comparison is. They're extremely different players. Thomas spent the majority of his time inside. Gholston played the edge and ran around blockers for his sacks. Thomas fights through double teams. He has fantastic tape. Are you saying we should avoid looking at tape because "Vernon Gholston." Because that's a really awful argument.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

we should avoid a DE/DT in the first round regardless if he is very good or not . A Speedy OLB is a difrent story.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. Red Menace

This is from Walterfootball.com. I know they are just like most football sites, but this is the first I have heard anyone say he is being looked at as an OLB.

You have your wish.

[​IMG] Solomon Thomas*, OLB/DE, Stanford
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 273.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
    Projected Round (2017): 1-2.

1/14/17: WalterFootball.com was the first to report that Thomas intends to enter the 2017 NFL Draft. The junior enjoyed an excellent 2016 season as a big presence in Stanford's defense. On the year, he totaled 62 tackles with 15 for a loss, eight sacks and one forced fumble.

Thomas has good speed off the edge with strength and physicality. Off the field, he is getting high marks for character and work ethic. Thomas would probably fit best in a 3-4 defense as an outside linebacker. Sources say they are grading Thomas out a second-round pick for the 2017 NFL Draft.

12. Red Menace

13. boozer32

What I'm saying is we should avoid at all cost these fast risers. I watch PAC 12 football and I only heard of this guy this year. He is not that type of impact player like Leonard Williams. I know its hard to get a feel and plenty of tape on these guys because they rarely stay in school for the full 4 years.

14. boozer32

Listen these conversions rarely work. If you want a 3-4 linebacker draft one. The Jets have not had a lot of success with converting guys. The one that stands out to me was Dan Alexander. A DT in college he converted to guard was a solid player for the Jets for many years. There is no way can be middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Guards would engulf him even more than he got smashed last year by them. The Jets are stuck with a 3-4 for at least a year when Bowles will be fired.

15. Red Menace

I understand what your saying, but remember why we only hear about these guys so late, most of the guys reporting are just a bunch of robots, Mike Mayock, Mel, Todd, Gary Danielson, they hardly see all of the quality players themselves.

I remember watching the NC and Stanford game, I thought Danielson was related to Trubiski the way he was all over him, he could do no wrong.

Solomon Thomas was all over the place from the beginning of the game, and it was not till the 4th quarter that Danielson started realizing what Thomas was doing during the game.

These guys call themselves experts but they stick to talking about the same 15 to 20 players that everyone is talking about, watch the NFL network and they regurgitate the same information endlessly.

It's not a matter of these guys being fast risers, which your right some of them are, it's a matter of them not getting the due that they should have been receiving from the beginning.

#35 Red Menace, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  16. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Good point. It's likely Thomas and others are rising in the eyes of fans and media scouts, but not NFL front offices.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. b.reyes16

Guy can run. He's much faster than Jordan Jenkins, for example. I still think his best fit is as a 4-3 DE but I wouldn't think him incapable of standing up and coming off the edge.

18. b.reyes16

I have no idea where you're going with this dude and I have no idea who you're referring to.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with their evaluation. He is too heavy to be a truly dominant pass rusher from the OLB spot.

20. Red Menace

I was surprised that he was even considered for that OLB position by scouts. He's 273lbs and he is 21 years old, he will only get stronger and put on a little more weight under an NFL strength program.