Mark Gastineau says he has dementia, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 20, 2017.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i think if bud carson became the jets DC a couple years earlier, say 82-83, and installed the base 3-4 with gastineau as OLB it would have put him (gastineau) in the HOF - even with his antics. and klecko would already be in at NT.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Interesting idea. I'd love to "go back in time" to see how that might have worked. I wonder what Mark would say about that. If any of us ever get a chance to talk to Mark, Marty or Joe at an event in the future it'd be cool to get each of their takes on it.

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

it would have been quite the front seven - crable, clifton, mehl, and gastineau at LB.......lyons, klecko, ?rudolph, or whomever up front.

geez if some of those guys could have stayed healthy when it really counted.

4. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that but I do know the feeling. my mother-in-law was a proud and meticulous person. I saw her go downhill and the pain it caused my wife and the family. I pray your family has recovered and remembers the good times in his memory.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

It's impossible to comprehend the devastation these diseases cause the person, and family, until you live through it. The Gastineau family is going to go through some very, very dark times that will test everybody's threshold of compassion. And yes, I still think about my dad almost daily and it's been 5 years. Thanks for the kind words.

FlaJet and westiedog1 like this.
  6. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Very sad. He was a bit before my time, but my Dad continues to tell me about him and the Sack Exchange. Wish him all the best.

7. 21niksag

21niksag New Member

Thanks for the info....

8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I got to see most, if not all, the games he played in with the Jets although I can't seem to remember his taking that many shots to the head. He was so big, lean and fast and appeared largely injury free during the first half-3/4 of his career. Then again, having had a closed head injury myself, it's quite possible my memory is less than reliable.

To protect against brain and cervical spinal injuries, I sometimes imagine the long term future of the NFL (if it indeed has one) will be based on players performing on more forgiving field surfaces without helmets and wearing significantly less protective padding to discourage the typically violent impacts associated with the game today. On one hand, it will likely be far less entertaining to fans who enjoy the hard-hitting, gladiatorial aspect of NFL football but on the other, may offer increased appeal to those who prefer a better view of the actual players themselves as well as the higher scoring that could be a likely consequence of any such changes.

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

https://nypost.com/2018/03/19/mark-gastineaus-ex-wife-mocks-his-dementia-its-karma/

I meant to post this a while ago. There's a lot worse things than infidelity to prompt someone to say it's karma, K-A-R-M-A. Sure he was a jackass and what he did was pretty bad, and I'm not saying she should feel obligated to feel bad for her ex-husband, but that's a little extreme. I've done a lot of shitty things in my life that I'm not proud of, but I've never shied away from holding up a hand held mirror about it. Relentlessly. Unblinkingly. And I own all of it. Sorry for the slight tangent. What I'm getting at here is people should really watch out what they spout out into the universe, because 10 years from now, she might get some karma for saying it was K-A-R-M-A. My Mom's side, they were Strega (only they would never admit it openly - folk medicine, old wives tales, amulets, tokens of protection, rituals - I mean, look at Catholic Mass, you can't any more Pagan, lol). Sicilians are some of the most superstitious people on earth. I have never cursed or hexed anyone no matter how much they deserved it. I know better.

PennyRoyal10: I not only deeply sympathize, I deeply empathize. Carnage. That's putting it lightly. It robs people of their soul, their dignity, their life, and everything else, and the toll on the family, there are no words. Especially if it's tag, you're it. It was so mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting to the point where I sometimes felt like a zombie. There's no stress relief valve. My Daddy died of complications of Parkinsonism - not classic Parkinson's - but it was one of the worst things I've ever witnessed. He only lasted a year and half from diagnosis. Sorry for your loss. It's not just the loss, it's the mode of the loss. My Mom died a year later. Obviously we're internet strangers, but if you ever want to talk, please feel free to PM anytime. I posted this in the CTE thread, but Francisco Lopera is goddamn hero. Peace to you.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-alzheimers-disease-medellin-colombia-lesley-stahl/

alleycat9 and RPOZ51 like this.
  10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Muff diving can be hazardous to your health. Michael Douglas blamed his throat cancer due to too much cunilingus he gave, which resulted in contracting the human papillomavirus (HPV). There are some that believe it causes alzheimer's.

#30 playtowinthegame, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Any recipient of a disease received from munching Catherine Zeta Jones's goodies should be immediately be awarded the Purple Heart!

12. playtowinthegame

Michael Douglas got around, so who knows who gave him HPV.

#32 playtowinthegame, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^It's not the Herp, duh. HPV is also often contracted walking barefoot across your lawn. How the F did this devolve into I got throat cancer from going down on my wife/Michael Douglas? Haha, you folks. This reminds of the REAL good old days of the BS Forum.

14. playtowinthegame

I meant to say HPV. Bottom line he got HPV from muff diving not walking barefoot. LMAO at that.

15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

This thread certainly has run the gamut of compassion and idiocy. Geez. :eek: Classic.

16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, but the same here. My step-mother (who was like a mother to me) was diagnosed with PD first, at about age 72, and the dementia came later toward the end. She was a fighter and tried to live with it as best she could. In the early stages one can live a fairly normal life with medications, however, it's a disease in which the decline is gradual but steady. She lived to 90.