If we do pick a QB at 6, who do you go with?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Forcing the QB issue at #6, who do you select if all available?

1. Trubinsky

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Kizer

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Watson

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  4. Mahomes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Who knows maybe Hack will burn it up in training camp this year. I certainly hope so. I saw him play once in college and liked what I saw. He looked to me like a prototypical pocket passer with good footwork and a big arm. But to say he needs another year after we've seen other QB's like Dalton (2nd rd), Carr (2nd rd), Wilson (3rd rd), Prescott (4th rd) start successfully from day 1 is disheartening.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No it isn't stupid. Players, just like us, are humans, not automatons. We learn and progress at different speeds, have different psyches, etc. One cannot treat everyon in the same way and have the same expectations.

4. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

If Watson is there no ifs ands or buts about it!

If not Watson, Kizer... but if there's someone else that so happens to drop for some crazy reason like Myles Garrett then you go that route and trade up to the bottom of the first or a few spots in the second to snag mahomes.

I want one of these three soooo bad!!!

5. NYJetsO12

Correct

Hack could NOT have started from day one..

But not letting him play the last couple of games in 2016 was stupid imo

what do you think about 2017?...maybe he gets coddled some more??

Second rounder's should be impact players

jmho

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lol @ Kizer at 6

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't agree on Kizer, but if Watson is there, hell yeah! And if he isn't, then take Fournette or Cook or Howard, and then see about trading up for Mahomes as you said. That would go a long way towards fixing the offense - of course then the OL needs to be addressed.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the guy who scouted brady at michigan for the pats said the same thing - pocket passer, arm, etc etc. i forget who the guy is, have to look it up......another scout at the time (not working for the pats said the same).

now if the jets could be so lucky......LOL

9. JetLifeLo

Yeah that's cool with me! Not as crazy about Kizer as I am with Watson and Mahomes.. but I wouldn't mind having him if we did pick em at 6. I'd def weigh ALL of my other options though if that's the case.. Watson is a no brainer.

10. JetLifeLo

LOL! I like him better than Trubisky!

BigSnacks54 likes this.
  11. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

He's way better than Trubisky/ is being underrated. It's hard for me to laugh at the idea of any of the top Quarterbacks at 6, when the J ets just took Hackenberg in round 2. I'm not even a Trubisky fan, but I'd rather go down swinging with Trubisky over Hackenberg, if I were I the on the hotseat as the GM.

JetLifeLo likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with the bolded sentence, that's why I don't believe he will be coddled, I honestly think that he will be given an opportunity to compete for the starting job.

Even if the Jets bring in a stop gap QB all 3 QBs will be learning a new offensive scheme, new even to the OC.

The jets need to solidify the team around their QB, no matter who it is. They NEED a TE, LT, RT, CB, and Center that's why Mac will not select another project QB.

Too many holes that can be taken care of if Mac does not reach for projects.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In a normal situation, 2nd round picks should be playing in season one if not starting from day one. This wasn't a normal situation, however. Mac evidently thought that the Jets weren't going to be picking in the top 10 again any time soon, and he really liked Hack's potential, so he "reached" for him to be sure he got him, knowing that he would be a project and probably take a couple of years to develop because of the nature of fundamentals and how they affect one's play and one's confidence.

Maybe taking him in the 2nd round was stupid, but not letting him play in the last couple of games of 2016 was not stupid. If someone or something isn't ready and a finished product, you don't start using it before it is. Would you take a car off an assembly line before it was finished and start driving it? Would you start using any device or product that wasn't finished and thus wouldn't work correctly? Why on earth would you throw a QB out there whom you knew had no chance of playing well and succeeding? Nothing positive could possibly be gained from that. It would only be counterproductive. It could have damaged Hacks' confidence/psyche, and most certainly would have had Jets fans booing and giving up on Hack and calling him a bust. It would have poisoned the well before Hack had a real chance to play well and succeed. It would have been stupid to play him just because fans were curious and wanted to see him. It has nothing to do with "coddling."

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, none of these QB's that are projected to be taken in the first day, are Day 1 starters, from the tapes that I see and from the scouting reports I have read. So , with the logic behind that, if the Jets draft another, at least 2 scenarios become apparent ;

1. Draft a project QB - Petty starts the season while the other 2 sit - which can only mean the Jets are pretty much tossing the 2017 season out the window - If Johnson understands this strategy, then Todd Bowles job as HC is safe. This is assuming they don't sign a veteran to start for 2017. No veteran signed.They suit up 3 QB's for the entire season.

2. Draft a project QB - Sign another veteran QB before camp- have another situation as in 2016 where 4 QB's in train camping compete for a roster position. Think the Jets want to repeat last years fiasco with carrying 4 QB's thru the season? Can't think they are masochists, but THESE are the Jets.

I think #2 is the realistic one. But you would have to pretty much assume that Petty is a goner. They're not going to dump a 2nd rounder after just one year. I can't think of any other scenario because I'm confined to the logic that the drafted QB does not touch the ball in 2017. Even if the Jets assumed that they have found another Dak Prescott in whomever they draft, they are not the type of team to toss him into the fire right out of the gate.

No matter how one looks at it, drafting a QB the first day is risky business. Can't see this regime taking that risk when they desperately need day 1 starters.

All imo.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

First Off Mac is a BPA guy so don't take anyone off the board because of position. Secondly Thomas is an edge pass rusher not an interior DT. Lastly if John Allen is on the board at 6 Mac should be running to get the pick in. He was unbelievable last year and probably is the best player in the draft.

16. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Swag Kelly in the sixth round.

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Good post. Nevertheless, the Jets are the type of team to toss a QB into the fire. They did it with Sanchez and Geno. Yes, drafting a QB on day 1 is a risk, but there can also be a big reward. The risk is that he's a bust and after 4 years you part ways without any cap hit. But the reward is that he develops into an elite QB, produces winning season after winning season, trips to the playoffs almost annually and maybe a SB victory or two in a span of say, 15 years. Worth the risk? I think it is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

#1 is the only one that makes 2017 not a wasted year. option #2 wastes a the entire season and moves us no closer to finding the guy

BomberJet and Red Menace like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

Yep...

a new offensive scheme, new even to the OC.

Its laughable isn't it??? Only the SOJs go this bizarro

20. NYJetsO12

Times up for this kid NC

He is NOT a car but a football player who needs more experience!

Pre season, beginning, middle or end of 2017 if he stands or falls it doesn't matter but FOR GOODNESS SAKES PLAY