Schefter: Jets to hire Saint's WR Coach John Morton as their OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Jan 29, 2017.

1. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

The only criteria I had was someone that could coach these 2 bags of uncertainty at qb. That's it. Without that, they have nothing. It's that simple.
    All you whiners worrying about my choice, can piss off. There weren't exactly any shining choices, but hey I can assure there was something with a better resume. SD spanked their boy, I believe the pack as well. Fuck, I'll bet Norv would be a better choice. Again, it doesn't matter. The shit Sammich that is this staff will be gone next year. So get over yourself and your football omnipotence. It's a joke.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. David-The-Meats-Harris

I agree with the tight end part. But again, hope is all Jets fans ever have. Ever.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we couldn't have Dan Quinn, at least we can have his twin brother.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. David-The-Meats-Harris

Lol

5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I have no idea whether this is good or bad. His lack of NFL experience calling plays and game planning, coupled with Bowles' overall buffoonery, does cause some concern. I am sure that Bowles hired Chan mainly because of his experience, so he could focus on the D side and leave the other side of the ball to a more experienced play-caller - with this hire, holy shit, who is this guy going to lean on for game planning/adjustments? Bowles? Hardly. Another thing is that Bowles record of hiring coaches is not good. Almost every single significant coaching hire he's made has been purged already

One good thing is that Morton's spent time with a great offensive mind and all we can hope for is that he's been a sponge, soaking up as much from Payton as possible. I always try to keep in mind, that at some point, many successful NFL coaches were an unknown commodity, that remains to be seen with Morton. Hope for the best...

6. David-The-Meats-Harris

Couldn't agree more orange guy

7. David-The-Meats-Harris

I would imagine even coaches always fall back in what they know best. I'm not seeing where he needs to look at his receivers. Maybe give Marshall some gorilla glue.

#47 David-The-Meats-Harris, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  8. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Fair enough good point, but in the same time it could take me to google all that, it would take you less time to list 5 names who you seem to already know. Your not here to impress anyone? That's a bizarre comment, nobody wants you to impress them, it just sounds suspect when you go on a tirade and refuse to back it up with any evidence. Nobody here is saying you are wrong, we all know this could be a bad hiring. But when you start ranting and raving have some substance to your post other than "fuck this and fuck that."

I briefly googled some options. To me it seems the only guys available that had any background with QB's were:

Mike Mccoy, who probably would NEVER have taken the job with the Jets
    John Defilippo, QB coach of the Eagles who Bowles almost hired two years ago
    Chip Kelly....? I'll pass and take the chance with John Morton.
    Brad Childress, I doubt he would have taken the job who was just hired as Chiefs OC.
    Greg Olson whom was fired as the Jaguars OC last year (ouch) he has never stuck at a job for very long, bounced around a lot, at this point I'd rather try someone new and hope we find a diamond in the rough.

You have to understand this team is handcuffed due to the fact that we do not have a QB and a coach on the hot seat. We are not a desirable destination so it's not like we had the pick of the lot. Defillipo seems to be the most intriguing yet realistic option.

#48 rohirrim665, Jan 29, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Bingo, this is about how I feel. TB hired a coach he knew from day one was retiring after year two - cough, cough - yet it seems he had no succession plan in place? That coupled with his really terrible coaching both years leads me to believe this is a real stretch... sort of like Rex's hiring of - former Fish HC as OC forgot his name - only to be a Fking disaster.

Those that are saying give the guy a chance I say what is his offensive philosophy? I willing to give anyone a chance but the chance has to be predicate on some fundamental logic which seems to escape TB - remember he fired everyone on the D except the real stiff KR. Has he ever coached QBs - ans: no. Has he ever called plays in the NFL - ans: no. Does he even have a play book - ans: probably no again?

Frankly this is on part for TB's arrogance and like his predecessor he is failing as a HC and we all know KR wasn't the play caller on D or the DC so he failed at that also... so let's all get behind this wonderful choice. Only the jets....

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Schefter reporting that Jets have found a warm body willing to sit in the coach's booth in exchange for money.

Cman68, Bellows1 and legler82 like this.
  11. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

hope he enjoys his one year in new jersey

SonofDinger and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. David-The-Meats-Harris

That's all great and dandy, but my only criteria was someone that could develop the only QBs we currently can say will likely be on the team. Whether I can cannot, do, don't list 5 names is a bullshit thing to yammer. The mere fact he said for the third time, it became impossible for me to give him the satisfaction of a name. I don't owe him squat. I'm here to voice my opinion and converse. I'm not getting into some horseshit kiddy nonsense. Sorry to disappoint.

Did Morton makes yours or their "list"? Lol

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'll let him work before I start bashing the hire.

14. David-The-Meats-Harris

To me it seems they don't have a terribly good feeling about their qb situation which is why they probably went after the dude from the Broncos. At least you can hope the run game is the focus and carry you.
    It also still stinks of the cheapest option. Putting hopes on he's been around solid programs is great, but Phil hasn't helped the Knicks. Ringo was still a Beatles etc.. Norv would never be my choice and who knows if he even would come. He's got a cloud of failure, but he also has 400 years of experience.

I'm done with hope. I'd like to watch a good team. Something to be optimistic about. Morton could be good, wtf knows. Seems like a very jet hire atm. I'll gladly eat my words. Gladly

15. David-The-Meats-Harris

Why not chip Kelly? Again would he even come. His problem is he wears out his d. Everybody on the planet knows this, so maybe he takes the message. At least he's had some success and 100% more experience. If Bowles still fails because he can't coach a d to save his life, chip can still parle his stint into HC if his unit performs. Who knows... sorry for being a dick, but I'm not falling into my choices are better than yours arguments on the Internet. It's ridiculous.

Dephillipo probably begged the Eagles to deny an interview. But I agree.

If Greene can get that linebacker group motivated and morton opening some holes the qb situation might not be as terrible. What really pissed me off, is if they knew chan was leaving, why draft hack? And ultimately that's my point. They brought on all these project QBs and didn't hire someone with a focus on QBs. It's maddening

#55 David-The-Meats-Harris, Jan 29, 2017
    NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Mmm, looking at the news online it seems like the RB coach for the Cardinals quit because he wanted a promotion and he has ties to Bowles.

I could see Morton coming over as OC and this Mitchell guy as Running backs coach - running came coordinator. Wonder if Karl Dorrell was given a fair shot, the guy seems to have more experince than Morton in calling plays. But if they made this choice they must have had their reasons.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Comical choice of course....

Making Master Chan look like Bill Walsh

Welcome to the Pete Carrol Training School of Coaches in Floram Park Mr Morton lol....let me introduce you to Bubba our HC and Waldo famous owners brother!!!

ROFL

Poor Dennis Greene aboard the Flying Dutchman hehehe

18. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I don't think Chip Kelly is NFL material, as a HC or OC. He belongs in college, in my opinion. I wasn't looking for an internet argument, I was genuinely curious who you thought would be a better hire. You were right, a simple internet search is all it took for me to form my own idea, but I thought your research might be more thorough. Once again, it's really hard to gauge who actually would have taken the job here at such an undesirable destination.
    Also, this whole OC search has made Todd Bowles look even worse, as many have previously stated. I'm not looking forward to the upcoming season and this one is technically not even over yet.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Chip Kelly is fucking awful, please keep that idea to yourself. You bashed the OP for liking the hire and Chip Kelly is your choice?

FJF likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I don't mind the hire. The receivers should definitely continue to develop in a big way. Perhaps he'll bring in a qb coach that knows how to develop a QB.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Cman68, hwismer, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.