2017 Senior Bowl Coverage/Comments

Discussion in 'Draft' started by wewantsapp, Jan 24, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

First of all, NO ONE drafts the way your bolded phrase reads. The BPA is the BPA period. There is no "who will fill your needs two or three years from now." If anything, aside from it meaning the best prospect left on your board, it means that player should be one of your best players within a couple of years, not just someone who fills needs. You pull some of the weirdest crap out of your ass.

There's more to playing FS than just foot speed. Melifonwu is projected as SS because that's what he has played and because he's an "in the box" type safety.

Get this through YOUR head...having a three player is totally effing stupid! In this draft BPA and need lines up pretty darned well, and the three players you listed probably won't be the BPA at the Jets picks in the first 3 rounds. Both Melifonwu and Lamp will probably be gone before the Jets' picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

#81 NCJetsfan, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    101GangGreen101 and westiedog1 like this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My observations watching some of the game:

QBs: Peterman (Pitt) and Webb (Cal) both have pretty live arms.

WR: Zay Jones (E. Car.), looks like a keeper.

RB: Kareem Hunt (Tol.), not a breakaway threat but gets yards.

OG: Dan Feeney (Ind.), looked solid

After thought edit: Although I only saw him catch one pass in this game, I think OJ Howard, TE (Ala.) is going to be a real impact player in the NFL. So much so, I wouldn't object if the Jets took him at #6.

#82 westiedog1, Jan 29, 2017
    FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+10000

I don't think there was anyone on this Board other than myself with the stones to trade down. More wheeling and dealing but I think the GM is up to this. Also agree on FA but get the youngest guys available not the closer to thirty bunch we have been grabbing for

Your analysis of Lamp is spot on in that he can serve a dual purpose

Let see the Jets be a bit creative at #6 and forego getting a Defensive player ....sickening to me

Trade down ...just don't believe in hyped up prospects anymore

jmho

James Hasty likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hasty, you are an innovative drafter, but Jets can't go this route. You are hampering the special teams as well by giving away picks. Lamp should not play center at the next level, he's a guard and I think the Jets are situated at that position with Carpenter and Winters.

Jets can get an impact player at 6 and I prefer they stand pat and take the BPA that also fits the need. I personally hope it's Hooker at 6. He has all pro potential. This is a 2 safety race. Not going for the crappier safety prospect.

BomberJet likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'm warming up to this. my current draft fantasy would be to take watson at 6 and move back into the first and get howard, but the way the hype is rolling, might have to reverse that.

#85 FJF, Jan 29, 2017
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just about the only way we can fuck up this 6th pick is by taking Fournette. The shelf life of a RB is shorter than any other position, picking one as the first step in a rebuild is just about the most idiotic thing I've heard. I can just about understand a case for any other player that might be worth the 6th pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Isn't he currently injured? I can't believe the Jets would take a RB so early in a draft widely believed to be stacked at the position

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

what is it about the jets past that leads you to this disbelief?

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Howard at 6 is a big stretch......especially with the talent on D that will go ahead of him. That being said, the trick is to find what spot he would be near the top of someone's board. TE's have snuck into the top 10 (ebron of the lions??) but its rare.

If they can fall back to say 14-15, they can likely pick howard and gain 8-9 spots in a trade or possibly another 2nd round pick.

NCJetsfan, westiedog1 and James Hasty like this.
  10. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I think we are pretty situated with Carpenter and Winters, but I fully believe Lamp will be a better player than either of them. If he was a bit bigger he'd be the best tackle in this class and he will fully be able to play center at the next level. I think he's the best all around lineman in the entire draft.

Also, if Melifonwu somehow leaks into the second round at this point I think we have to take him since I think he can play FS with some coaching and has better potential than Pryor at SS.

11. 101GangGreen101

He can play tackle, but apparently per scouts he'll absolutely succeed at guard. Unfortunately we are locked in with Carpenter and Winters for at least another year. We restructured Carpenters contract.

This is a 2 safety draft. This guy isnt on the same level as Hooker or Adams. He has good size and speed but he's not as instinctive as the first 2 safeties. Those 2 are special.

12. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Which is why people are saying Melifonwu might go in the end of the first as opposed to top 5-10 like Adams and Hooker. Literally not even disagreeing with you but Melifonwu was a sleeper on a UConn team that was unable to score any points and was generally boring to watch. He is physically the most impressive safety this year and he showed his ability during the Senior Bowl practices (can't say much for the game since I was working and haven't watched it yet). To say every safety this year besides Hooker and Adams is trash is pretty ignorant, IMO.

13. 101GangGreen101

Not saying the rest are trash, but I don't think they aren't as talented. Hooker and Adams play so much faster on film, and that was a knock on Melifonwu. Desmond King and Budda Baker might be better safety prospects too. King too slow to play outside press corner.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree. However, I'm beginning to believe that he may be the best football player, pound for pound, in this draft. That's what was said about Williams two years ago and fortunately, the Jets took him. Howard may have an upside close to Gronkowski, Gonzalez and/or Graham, etc. If I'm a GM and convinced of that, it would be tough to pass on a talent like that even though my football team doesn't currently have the right QB capable of getting him the ball consistently. Nevertheless, TE is an area of need. It would be great to move down and try to get him, but a trade like that isn't always possible and you could still risk losing him. Also, as draft day approaches, I think he will climb the board after a stellar Combine. All I'm saying is: if the Jets took him at #6, I would not be upset with that pick.

James Hasty likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's what the draft is all about really. Getting good football players. The fact that he's a two way tightend in that he can supposedly block and obviously can catch, is very encouraging as a prospect.

If the Jets think that he's going to be a great football player and help this team win then pull the trigger.

I personally would rather take Watson, Barnett or Hooker (or Garrett obviously) at 6 if they're there, but then again there must be a reason we're all not NFL scouts and general managers unfortunately.

16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Can't believe I'm actually reading here that posters here think the Jets are thinking about drafting a TE with the #6...I don't care how good this kid is, with at least 3 serious flaws in their offense: no QB, weak OL and serious questions regarding their offensive strategies in the past that lacked for using a TE , don't see it happening. Plus the fact that they desperately need help in the OLB/DE and FS/CB , wow a TE?...omg

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You're ignoring how a a tightend helps both a young quarterback and shaky offensive line while obviously the offensive scheme switches its tune to incorporating said player.

If you're getting a good football player they're going to help the offense. We need as many good football players as we can get.

Howard isn't my choice. But he seems like he's going to be a damn good player.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand your resistance to taking Howard at #6. I'm not hoping for Howard at #6. Normally, I wouldn't take a TE anywhere near that high. Howard is a special player, however, and TE is a need. How Gailey and the Jets used the TE position in the past is irrelevant since we have a new OC, who may be changing the offensive system. Even if the system remains the same, not having a TE really hurt the offense. With young QBs we need a viable 2-way TE who can function as a safety valve for the QB and help with blocking for the rushing attack. With our OL questionable at best, particularly the LT spot protecting the QBs blind side, a TE who is an excellent blocker who is also a good, if not great receiver, so the offense wouldn't be so predictable, would be invaluable.

I'd rather have a QB, LT, or OLB at #6, but odds are, we won't get one of those at #6 unless the Jets really like Watson and he falls to us, or if Barnett is ranked that high by draft time and the Jets decided to take him. #6 is too high to take a CB. There isn't that much difference between the #1 ranked CB and the #10 ranked CB in this draft. If Hooker is there at #6, then I'd jump at the chance to take him.

DE isn't a need at all.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think what might be happening is that many of us believe that the 1st priority is to improve the "O" if possible, but we all have different ideas about how to do that. Some of us - like me - hope and pray that Watson falls to #6; some think we should trade down and address the OL with the lower, but more numerous, picks and maybe pick up a RB; some say pick BPA regardless of "O" or "D" or position. But along comes Howard who could significantly improve the offense - maybe not as much as a QB, or even an elite RB, but a definite improvement in the variety of plays able to be called, taking pressure off the QB, and blocking. AND, he may be a "BPA"!

As I said, I would prefer Watson if he's there, and Fournette or Cook if Watson isn't, but I would't cry in my Cheerios if they took Howard as I beleive that improving the offense is the #1 priority.

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I noted OLB/DE - their scheme 2/4 , if they stay that route, needs a pass rushing OLB, otherwise in 4/3 a DE. They were near the bottom in 2017 in pass rushing. Maybe Mo's injury had a lot to do with this but, with a weak secondary , either draft a stud CB/FS at 6 or a strong pass rusher.

As for a TE, unless the Jets have a QB in mind to take the snaps, I don't see them taking a TE that high. Can't see them entrusting Petty leading the team in 2017. To take the risk of drafting a TE without a starting QB is insane.