Mel Kiper 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Poeman, Jan 19, 2017.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I think your confused.

I am not advocating for strictly OSU players. I have repeatedly said I do not support OSU players just because I'm a fan of the program.

I have said this numerous times.

I do not believe Lattimore is the best CB in this draft and I do not think he is worth a top 10 pick.

Hooker is a special talent, he will be an absolute stud and he is worthy of going #1 in this draft. IMO

I do not care about need, ever, so that's a disclaimer. However, our safeties are not world beaters by any stretch of the imagination. Both positions can be upgraded and if you can get a star at the position, you can't go wrong with that.

Look at the top safeties in the NFL, they have and play a major role on their respective defenses.

Even with this said, I don't care who we pick as long as he is a star type player that will make a difference for this team.

I do not believe there is as many star quality offensive players at the top of the draft in comparison to some of these defensive players at the top of this draft.

I'm a firm believer of BPA, we have drafted need for far to long and that's why we have always been one of the worst drafting teams in the league.

I'm optimistic with Mac because he seems to legit go BPA, regardless of position of strength or need. That's huge.

Even if we draft at a strength on this team, that gives us more options in the future. Similar to us now having the means to trade Sheldon, now it sucks that SR is a immature fucktard who hurt his trade value for us but that's not the overall point being made.

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nice post OSU. I'm not a BPA believer and that is how our roster is so messed up now. No way should we had taken Leonard Williams. I'm glad we did but what is still out biggest need? A pass rushing OLB. So by that logic Vic Beasley should have been our pick. Was Hackenberg even the best QB to take and waste a pick in the 2nd round? I truly hate BPA and it should only be used from the 4th to the 7th round. You try and take talent and fill need. BPA is like giving up your War Room board and saying well I guess we will take this guy. He doesn't fill a need at all but we will find a place for him.

3. boozer32

Once again I will ask. How are we gonna score and win games? I can't stress this enough until we have a QB we will not win anything. Can you tell me what the FS did in the 2 playoff games yesterday? I'm pretty sure Brady, Ryan got into the endzone multiple times. How many times did that Ed Reed type free safety score? This year the draft is deep in secondary prospects and the Jets shouldl look to get one later in the draft instead of #6. Otherwise we will be having this conservation forever.

4. IIMeanDeanII

Your logic just doesn't make sense to me. The only thing I can meet you halfway with is if need and BPA align. That's the ideal scenario obviously.

However, you don't take a second round LT prospect in the first just because that's your biggest need on the team. That's not smart.

I read Hughes article about Leo and Beasley. I think he was wrong.

Leo was not the wrong pick, he's a fucking stud and will be here producing at a star quality level for a long time to come. We now can trade SR and is immature fucktardery, get some much needed draft picks for said trade. All because we drafted the BPA in 2015.

There is no sure fire conclusion Beasley would have the same success in this scheme as he has in ATL. There was no guarantee that he would even be a good player, with Leo, he was as close to being a sure thing as there could be in that draft.

Even if we had drafted a stud pass rusher you think they would have produced anything without quality DB play last year?

Look at the Jets drafts before Mac got here, there is a reason this team is void of depth and talent. We have always gotten into trouble drafting need instead of quality.

How many players could we have had over the years if we had just stuck to the BPA mantra?

There is a highlight real of how bad we've been at drafting, by highlight, I really mean a blooper real.

I don't agree with you in anyway, drafting need gets teams into trouble. Thank God we might actually have a GM that will stand by the BPA mantra for a change.

5. IIMeanDeanII

You do understand how much of an impact he had for the Ravens and that defense, right?

You do understand that the very team he played on in 2000 with Trent Dilfer, won the Super Bowl, right?

Not trying to pick on ya in this thread, I enjoy the convo, but what QB is going to save us in this offseason?

Out of curiosity.

Also, in reference to Hooker. He did have 3 pick six's last year, should've been 4 if it wasn't for a penalty. It's impressive and game changing. He did it all year long. Just saying.

#45 IIMeanDeanII, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    boozer32 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With Bowles as HC, and possibly a former high school HC as OC, we're not very likely to score many points anyway. We could have Aaron Rodgers and Bowles would play for FGs.

Just because you have a need, doesn't mean you're going to fill it by reaching for players, and that's basically what you're advocating doing. If we reach for a QB who is not worthy of being picked at #6, we still aren't gonna put up many points, that QB is likely to bust, and we won't even have a better D to show for it.

Taking BPA is NOT how our team got screwed up. That's just flat out not true. Our team got screwed up because Tanny ignored certain positions, frequently traded up thus wasting a lot of draft picks, and then missed on quite a few picks, then two disastrous years with Idzik produced little, even though he had 20-21 draft picks. It's criminal what Idzik did to this team. It left the team with holes at numerous positions and little or no depth. On top of that, our CSs have by and large sucked at developing young players, and our GMs have been too content to sign older, more expensive FAs to try to fill needs/holes.

I don't believe in following any draft philosophy blindly or slavishly. IMO both BPA and need must be considered. There is a time when need should take precedence over BPA, and vice versa. Any GM that constantly drafts out of need is in all likelihood never gonna produce a winner and will soon find himself unemployed. It makes him dependent upon finding other teams who are willing to trade down or up so he can attempt to get value for the picks, or he is forced to reach for players. Reaching for players almost never works, and even when they pan out, one has to overpay them due to where they were drafted, and it screws up the team's salary schedule and can wreck the cap.

Matty Jets and boozer32 like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Let's step back for a second. When BPA and position of need are a match is a marriage made in heaven. So take your pick, because we have plenty of holes, FS, OLB CB, RB, OL, more OL, and above all QB. So from my viewpoint, if we understand BPA, and pick with knowledge, is almost a can't miss in any of the above areas. We should not over reach. I don't care which one, but I want a difference maker. For those who don't respect a top class FS, please remember than the only way to beat Brady is nothing but thru talented man to man coverage, an area where we totally suck. I just don't want a BPA that does not fit Bowles rigid system, as he is not smart enough to modify it.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying but Ed Reed wasn't on that team. He was drafted in 2002.

9. IIMeanDeanII

Well shit, nice call man, it definitely feels like he was on that team back then. So he never won a super bowl then? Shit.

Thanks for the correction

10. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Marshon is an elite prospect elite hips , turns his head when the ball is coming plays the ball like a receiver if you throw his way and very smart, willing to tackle but not great tackle form in the run game.
    I think his only negative is he may only run 4.5 at the 40 yard dash he doesn't have elite recover speed.

11. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Ravens beat the 49ers. The Superbowl the lights went out.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

13. boozer32

I agree about the CS not being able to coach up the talent they get. I believe you draft talent and plug them in and coach them up. Its the Ozzie Newsome way. But we have no QB and taking a FS at #6 is a disaster waiting to happen. What would Ozzie Newsome do if he was our GM? I believe he would find us a QB and build up the OL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. boozer32

Yes I was an Ed Reed fan and wanted the Jets to draft him but we took Bryan Thomas I think. It was easy for Reed to fall into that defense with Ray Lewis. I think the Jets will sign a QB this offeseason and not draft a QB this season. Hooker is still a Ohio St player LOL.

15. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

16. boozer32

Nice post but I don't think we are getting any good draft picks for Richardson. He has damaged his worth and is one incident away from at least 1 years suspension. I do think the BPA has been the Jets philiosphy all along and that needs to change. How else do you explain Vernon Gholston being picked, Mo Wilkerson, Milliner, Kyle Wilson, Calvin Pryor.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

I think Ed Reed is a Hall of Famer regardless of where he goes. He read the quarterbacks eyes better than anyone I've ever seen in my lifetime and had the uncanny ability to bait quarterbacks into throwing certain places that he made them think he wasn't going to be able to get to. He was also one of the fastest players to attack the ball I've ever seen.

I have my own opinions about what position we should draft and who we should draft. But all in all I want is to get a good football player. Safeties are a lot more important than people give them credit for. If we can get an Ed Reed look alike in Malik Hooker then I'm all for it. Strength up the middle.

He flies to the ball, is a good tackler, can cover tons of ground very quickly and has the best ball skills in the draft from what I've seen. He reminds me as much of Ed Reed as anyone I can really remember. I just don't think he'll get to 6 unfortunately.

He's also got a gangster name. Cmon. You really see a guy named Malik Hooker not being a great NFL player? He was born to pick Tom Brady off.

Freddy Mondo and boozer32 like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Every single one of those picks was a need pick.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Not only that, but they were mostly reactionary to a free agent loss.

- Revis holding out & Cromartie accumulating nagging injuries = Kyle Wilson.
    - Revis trade = Milliner.
    - Mike DeVito impending free agent &a Shaun Ellis gone = Mo
    - Dawan & LaRon Landry gone in successive seasons = Pryor.
    - John Abraham trade a year prior = Gholston.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is exactly why we need to draft "O" in the first couple of picks, and certainly with our first pick - ideally that would be Watson, but I don't expect him to be there at #6 - so Fournette or Cook at RB would be the way to go.

As deep as this draft is in DBs, LBs, these can be taken later.