QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I really hope pride is buried in this decision. Mac may have blown it and will want to ride with hack due to it being a 2nd round pick regardless if he feels 100% capable. This is the Jets so that could be a possibility. Hopefully it won't be and he does see something in hack we don't.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

we have a ways to go until the draft and FA but the more i think about the jets after watching some of the games this weekend, the more grumpy i become....

next year may be a doozy - to the downside.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

In a world without a salary cap this would make sense. Unfortunately, there is a salary cap and resources are limited.

If you're going to burn that kind of cap room, do it on positions that will help any QB succeed: aka the offensive line.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

nicg4360 likes this.
  4. nicg4360

This will probably be a very unpopular option but I think if mac dedicated this offseason on vamping up the offensive line and drafting Fournette that could definitely help with development of petty or hack. Become a hard nosed running team to help our current qbs develop. No point in bringing in old qbs here.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

not the worst approach, IMO, but risky because we just saw the 4 best teams go at it this weekend and they all have the passing attack necessary to win in todays league.

i think this would be an even more sensible way IF we had even the smallest clue that either hack or petty will be the anointed one. Unfortunately, we don't and i am sure the jets don't either.

nicg4360 likes this.
  6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Jets will create 50 mil in cap space, so fitting 15 million in cap is not the issue actually. The issue is whether they view Taylor as a long term solution, a short term stop gap, or don't value him all together. Cap is not a thing that worries me as most of the deals Macc signed the free agents two offseasons ago were designed to have an out after 2 seasons.

The first important cog that was addressed for the o line was brian winters. Another move he needs to think about is who he intends to sign as a left tackle next season.

7. grkmanga31

Completely agree. You wonder why the Cowboys were able to bring along a rookie 4th round QB. It's because they have Zeke and have invested in o-line for the past few years. If you can protect a young QB, keep the pocket clean, and make him feel comfortable with a good check down target at running back it makes bringing them along much much easier. With that being said though, this draft is not great for o-line, so Jets will need to do their best to address the o line problems from within, or quite frankly through free agency.

Personally, I would be totally on board with Fournette at 6, sign a left tackle and some depth for o-line, and let's see what Hack does, but who knows what will happen.

8. nicg4360

I think it could work if we could get a cog or 2 more. Maybe another season out of Mangold till we got more peices. It definitely is a passing game now but if hack can get his confidence back (which I think is a major problem) playing behind a stout offensive line with a premier running back it would do wonders. Also if hack did not turn out to be the answer we would have a better offensive line plus Fournette for whomever we drafted next year to play with.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  9. grkmanga31

Fournette is probably the best RB prospect I've seen since Adrian Peterson. He would transform this offense IMO and you're right we really need 1 or two more pieces on o line. We all know that Clady and Giacomini will not be back. With the emergence of Shell as right tackle, I would sign some competition and depth for the right tackle position, and would throw major cash at a left tackle.

ColoradoContrails and nicg4360 like this.
  10. Dibben

Dibben New Member

Unless we think that a QB in this draft can be 'the guy' (Watson, Trubisky or Kizer) or that a FA QB can be 'The guy' then we should go for a cheap QB back up and let Petty lead in 17. If he beats expectation then he could grow to be our guy - if he sucks then we have a better chance at getting 'the guy' in the draft next year!

I'd rather not spend a lot on a band aid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwismer, TonyFtLaud and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The thing about Fournette is his floor is so high aka extremely low chance at being a bust

The downside is if he isn't a great RB it's almost a wasted pick considering how easy it is to find a decent RB...Also injuries to RBs seem more common than other positions so it's a little risky there

Gotta beef up the Oline regardless

12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

There are plenty of good RB's available but very few elite RB's. Elite backs change the dymanic of the game even in this passing era, especially if they can develop into a pass catching RB. He has a chance to be one of the elite backs and since '17 is likely to be a dud year for the Jets anyway why not get the RB now, get the franchise QB in the '18 draft and upgrade the line this year (LT looks like the focus with Winters,Shell, Carpenter slotted as starters along with either Mangold or Johnson at C). They'll need to sign depth this year and then look to upgrade the weakest link on the line in '18.

I think everyone is of the opinion they're going to load up on OL this year. It's not happening. They will either draft a LT or sign one then get fillers to back up for the starters mentioned.

They need major help in the secondary as well. It would be nice to draft a starting quality CB and get a #2 CB plus picks by trading Mo or Richardson. Mac needs to use his chips to fill holes with young guys, no more near retirees.

nicg4360 likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree, assuming they don't get Watson. Adding a game-breaking RB, a la Adrian Petersen, is the next best thing they can do. Signing Taylor, or pretty much anyone else (except maybe Geno), will cost them too much and require that they play the vet over Petty or Hack, and no one listed so far is a SB-caliber QB, so what's the point?

And here's something else...the only way the Jets avoid the situation where they have a vet QB and are almost compelled to play him at the expense of Petty/Hack, is if they draft Watson at #6. If they do get Watson, they would likely then sign pure backup vet QB as insurance, but who wouldn't be a roadblock to any of the youngsters.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

15. nicg4360

Mahomes is said to be taken late first. Would be quite a sight to see the Jets take Fournette then trade up from the second to take mahomes

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'd prefer Cook and Mahomes.

Hopefully what this guy says at the 10:45 mark becomes reality.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

He has terrible mechanics and plays in a gimmick offense. Not too promising. Texas Tech plays literally no one. What was the best team/defense this kid has played in his career? This is the most ridiculous hype I have seen about this kid.

Kliff Kingsbury (2000-2002) Career Stats: 91 TDs 39 INTs. 133 QBR. 65% completion

BJ Symons (2003) Career Stats: 52 TDs to 22 INTs. 147 QBR. 64% completion

Graham Harrell (2006-2008) Career Stats: 131 TD 34 INTs. 154 QBR. 69% completion

Taylor Potts (2009-2010) Career Stats: 57 TDs 23 INTs. 140 QBR. 66% completion

Seth Doege (2011-2012) Career Stats: 68 TDs 26 INTs. 144 QBR. 69% completion

Davis Webb (2013-2014) Career Stats: 44 TDs 21 INTs. 138 QBR. 61.5% completion

Pat Mahomes (2014-2016) Career Stats: 93 TDs 39 INTs. 152 QBR. 63% completion

All trash QBs before Mahomes and they too put up ungodly stats in this pee-wee program.

18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Damn u guys know you college!!

Awesome stuff

All I hope is for every pick to make the roster and contribute either day 1 or within year 2

Years of wasted ENTIRE drafts has left us so shitty

19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Didn't we try those things with Sanchez?

Todd Gurley didn't seem to help Jared Goff this year either.

20. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Mahomes also has more physical arm talent than all of these guys, and moreso than Geno Smith and Jared Goff.

The reason he isn't a top 5 is because NO QB has ever had success coming from this offense, but eventually someone is going break through.