Mike williams WR, Clemson (next Megatron?)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Jan 4, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'm pretty sure Mike Williams will be off the board at #5. He's really the missing piece to that Tennessee offense.

mattyd99 and dawinner127 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mac may be able to find some diamond in the rough in the draft. We sure need to hope so, but as FA comes before the draft, he will need to significantly address the LT position in FA. Maybe we'll get lucky and Ramczyk will fall to us in the 2nd round. The one thing I know for certain is that we can't go into next season with Ijalana as the starter.

As to your question about how talented one has to be to play OL, that depends upon your definition of talent, and position. The LT has to be strong, but also athletic and agile, as he has to have quick feet, be able to slide laterally quickly and mirror the rusher. He has to be able to fend off bull rushes, but also defeat speed rushers. He has to be able to push them out wide and ride them upfield. He has to be able to maintain his block perhaps the longest, because he's protecting the QBs blind side. LTs are one of the most important 2-3 players on any football team.

#22 NCJetsfan, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No forgiving that ignorance. If it were that easy, it wouldn't be one of the premiere positions in the sport and one of the highest paying positions in the NFL.

#23 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He looks great, but the Jets don't need a WR as much as they need a QB, LT, Pass Rusher, RB. They need to take the BPA that plays one of those positions at #6. Williams is a luxury they can't afford.

5. NCJetsfan

I agree in principle, but not necessarily in reality. Unless Ryan Ramczyk zooms up the draft charts or Mac decides that Cam Robinson is a great LT prospect, there won't be an LT worthy of being taken with the #6 pick. If he can't trade down in the 1st to take a LT who is valued there, then LT is out in the 1st round.

Right now, Myles Garrett is the only OLB who's rated that highly and it's unlikely he'll fall to us. It's possible that some other pass-rushing OLBs may wind up being rated that highly or within trade down range, but in order to trade down, the Jets have to find a trading partner, and if another rises that high, he may be gone as well, so it's entirely possible that there won't be an OLB worthy of being taken at #6 as well.

The same thing goes for the QB position. There may not be one there, or the Jets may not be able to trade down or up to get the one they like.

You left out FS. It's also a big need, and there are two FSs Malik Hooker and Jamal Adams that are rated that highly right now, and I think either could be a very good pick.

Most people don't believe that a RB should be taken that highly. I know you do and you love Fournette, but imo the difference between Fournette or Cook and other RBs is less than it would be between Mike Williams and some of the other WRs in the draft. Thus, Mike Williams could be the BPA at #6. I disagree that it would be a luxury as well. I think that B. Marshall should be traded or released to gain the $7.5 million cap space. Enunwa is a nice player, but may not develop into a #1 WR. Peake may not either. Having a great WR like Williams would be important for whoever our QB is going forward. Even if Marshall stayed, however, Williams could learn a lot from him.

#25 NCJetsfan, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Not at 6. WR isn't a need when we have Marshall, Decker, Enunwa and Anderson on the roster. Now if we release Marshall and trade down I'd consider it.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think Marshall is going to be gone, so Williams may be a consideration at #6. Not counting Marshall (2015), when is the last time the Jets have had a true #1 dominant WR??? It probably goes back 20 years to Keyshawn's short career with the Jets and beyond that would be Wesley Walker and Al Toon.

I understand your thinking and I think there will probably a better player at #6 for the Jets, but Williams has to be in the conversation.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Good analysis, but a few things I disagree on. If possible, they should trade up to get Watson - not likely, but that would be my first option. I wouldn't trade up for any other player. So, sitting at 6 I would hope that either Watson falls or Trubisky does, also unlikely, but one can hope. If Garrett was there, I'd take him, again, not likely. I would take Fournette or Cook, most likely possible. To me, a stud RB who can catch the ball and break any play for 6 is better than a WR, not matter how good. If none of them are available, I would look to trade down, and hope I could get Ramczyk, or maybe consider Robinson. If not, then one of the FS you mention would be good choices.

Of course lots can happen and player rankings can change, but this is my POV as of now.

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

QB & LT won't be the BPA at #6. We may be able to get a solid edge rusher.

10. ColoradoContrails

I think they should try to trade up to get Watson; Trubisky may still be there at 6 though. Agree, no LT this year is worth the #6 pick. Except for Garrett, they can get a good edge rusher down lower than 6, but I would use #6 for Fournette or Cook if Watson or Trubisky don't work out.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Honestly, the QB class is mediocre this year, no QB, in this draft is truly worth a top pick, it's all need based driving the QBs to be over drafted.

The BPA won't be a QB for the Jets.

We don't need 3 unproven QBs on our roster, Jets will go with Petty and Hack and sign a vet, like Glennon.

12. NCJetsfan

I have mixed thoughts on Watson. If he falls and the Jets love him, ok. If love him and think he definitely will be a franchise QB and can start almost immediately, fine. If they like him a lot, but aren't sure about him, then they shouldn't trade up for him imo. The thing is we have no idea who the OC will wind up being or what the offensive system will be. In all likelihood, it will change by 2018 regardless. If that's the case, I don't see the point in drafting a QB this season, having him start learning the offense, only for him to have to start all over again next season in a new offense.

I really don't think the Jets can afford to trade up in this draft, but can understand the rationale for doing so if they think that Watson or Trubisky is the real deal. More than likely, they're gonna suck again in 2017, possibly even worse than this season. They should be in excellent position to get a QB in next season's draft. I'd rather them build the team around their future QB this season, have those players developed and ready to play well next season and then add their QB. Also, with the LT situation as it is, the likelihood of their significantly fixing the LT spot is slim and none imo. I therefore wouldn't want them starting their rookie QB in 2017, or even Petty or Hack. I'd rather they bring in some vet like Glennon or Taylor and let them get the crap beat out of them.

Trading down is my ideal unless Garrett or Barnett are there. The CBS list of top prospects already has Ramczyk listed at #18. With a good Combine and offseason workouts, he could shoot up into the top 15, maybe even the top 10. If the Jets could trade back a couple of spots, get Ramczyk, add an additional 3rd or 4th round pick, I'd be very happy.

13. ColoradoContrails

Well I can't disagree with this. I certainly don't have the actual knowledge, nor access to it, to be able to say for sure that Watson is the real deal. The Jets staff will have the opportunity to figure that out over the next few months. But from what I've seen, Watson is the real deal, not just physically, but character-wise. But if the Jets don't think so, then of course they should go in a different direction.

But trading down? For an extra 3rd round pick? No way! MAYBE an extra 2nd rounder, but even that's iffy. I'd rather they take the BPA at 6, whoever they think it is, and look to grab the best LT in the 2nd round they can.

As for getting their QB in 2018, I don't think so. They're not the worst team, as bad as they are, and I can see them winning 4 or 5 games which will take them out of range of a FQB. If they don't get Watson (or maybe Trubisky), I think they're SOL for a franchise QB for the foreseeable future, unless Petty or Hack surprise. The Jets might well sign a vet, but then I think that will only ensure mediocrity or slightly better, and condemn them to the purgatory of middle to high round picks.

Honestly, Woody's edict of "competitive rebuild" doomed them.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Macc ain't going anywhere. Bowles might not make it through the season.

15. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Williams would be a good pick. He is a fez Bryant kind of player not a deep threat per say.

16. NCJetsfan

I agree that Watson has the character, intangibles, and mobility in spades. It's the actual defense reading, decision making and arm talent that I question.

Do you mean to tell me that if the #7 or #8 team offered you their 3rd round pick to move down a spot or two, you wouldn't take it, especially if they assured you that they weren't going to take the player you want? And "maybe" a 2nd rounder? Sorry, but that's just nuts! With that extra pick, the team could quite likely fill another need and add another starter. Teams only give up a lot when they have to move up a lot or are madly in love with a player or desperate to address a need. Between picks 6-8 and maybe 6-10, the Jets could get a player who is rated equally or only slightly lower than the player they'd take at #6, and who also could address a need. They could also wind up getting the very same player at 8 or 9 that they would have taken at #6.

I disagree about the Jets being one of the 2-3 worst teams next season. Unless Bowles completely fools me and shows me that he has learned a lot, or Mac hits a home run in FA and the draft, I don't see the Jets winning over 4-5 games next season. I think Cleveland has a very good HC in Hue Jackson, and they seem to have a very good GM now too. With where they're picking and with how many picks they have in the first 3 rounds (5 I think) they could conceivably add 5 starters, with a couple of them being real studs. In addition, they lost 5 games this season that they easily could have won. They could easily bypass us next season. I don't think SF is as bad as they were under Kelly this season, either. The Rams and Bears may be no better next season, but it's hard to think they won't improve. I don't like John Fox, but he is a lot better than Bowles. The Jaguars have a lot of good young talent, and with the right HC, they could win 7-8 games, maybe more. The Chargers have a lot of talent and had some key injuries this year. With a new HC, their record could be a lot better next season.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Some guy on twitter had a good idea of what Mike Williams brings to the table and I have to say, I am NOT a fan:

Credit to
    @Jets_Depressed

18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

His leaping ability and hands are elite...He has to go top 6 I think

19. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Lol to this thread. Never ever compare anyone to Calvin Johnson again. This guy is not even in the same stratosphere. The JETS already have a young nucleus at WR with: Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Marshall, and Smith. JETS have other positions that need to be addressed in free agency and the draft.