WW85'S 2017 NY JET'S MOCK DRAFT (1.0)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Dec 30, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, no, no. Especially with a team like ours with holes everywhere, BPA still needs to be the primary consideration. Yes, need should be considered strongly, but not over BPA. The only D player slated to go in the top 5 that would be a wasted pick is Jonathan Allen DL. Any other D player would not only fill a need but also could very well be the BPA available. There's no way the Jets should reach for a QB or RB out of desperation. Absolutely no way. That's how you wind up with a team like the Browns.

#61 NCJetsfan, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    James Hasty likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

I totally agree with everything here except the bolded sentence. Most of the time, it is true, but not in the case of Jonathan Allen. He would be a wasted pick. The last thing we need is yet another 1st round pick on the DL.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

A practical question would be can Allen play NT in a 3-4 defense? If he can play there effectively (not out of position) and is the BPA, selecting him may not be such a bad decision.

Our defense fell off a cliff this year and losing Snacks was literally a big part of the problem.

I really hope someone else takes Allen before us (or wants to overpay us to move up) but passing up BPA and potentially whiffing on the sixth overall pick could set us back in a big way.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No it wasnt, for like the 150th time and Jets already have the NT replacement.

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

We're in a rare case here. Generally you don't have three of the best 3-4 DE's in the NFL lol. Although I don't believe Allen would be a wasted pick per say, I agree, you take the next best player if the board falls that way. I don't think Allen will make it out of the top 5, though I didn't think Leonard Williams would either.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. b.reyes16

Yes it did. We gave up a bunch of huge running games. In the other games, our secondary was so awful that there was no need whatsoever to run the ball. It didn't fall off an extreme amount, but you don't lose the best NT in football and not get hurt. The drop was from the best to maybe the 8-10 range in reality. Not ridiculous but not ideal either.

7. James Hasty

Do we know if Allen can be a NT in the pros?

Otherwise I would agree that there is no way we take him. He might make for excellent trade bait to a team that does need him.

8. 101GangGreen101

A few games is what you are using. David Johnson, Carlos Hyde, and I think Bell.

You act as if the run D fell off the cliff. Check the stats, we gave up some rushing yards, but there's no correlation between the secondary woes and Snacks leaving. Using the oh our secondary sucks so we didn't get run on is not a valid reason my friend.

Snacks doesn't play on passing downs so I still don't know why people continue to talk about the lack of a pass defense when he's off the field. 10m for a 2 down lineman is a total waste and the Giants still got ran on!

We have our replacement on a much cheaper price and we ain't drafting Johnathan Allen. Leonard Williams was a better prospect. We weren't winning any more games last year with Snacks.

Edited for clarity.

#68 101GangGreen101, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  9. James Hasty

I don't think Allen makes it out of the top four so it could be a moot point unless there is a run on the QBs.

10. 101GangGreen101

All depends on the Jaguars really.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

11. James Hasty

49ers or Bears could take him if either one doesn't go QB.

I see a lot of mocks with the Jags taking a safety but that would be an odd pick considering that they took one high in the first round last year. Unless they want to emulate Elway's Broncos with Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith.

12. 101GangGreen101

49ers could, they did take Buckner last season but still need help stopping the run, they really need help in that department as every team ran for 100 yards on them. Could be Allen, Foster or a QB.

I think the Bears will take a qb for sure. Jags are such a question mark, they really could go for an offensive lineman, but this draft is weak at that position. I hope they stay away from the safeties.

13. NCJetsfan

If Allen could play NT, it would help, but would still be a wasted pick imo. We have already spent enough 1st round picks on the DL (at least 4 or 5 in the last 5-6 years), and it isn't even the most important unit of the D. I will absolutely go bat shit if Mac takes Allen. T

Passing up Allen and taking Foster, Adams, Hooker, Barnett, the top CB, Mike Williams, or even Fournette will not set us back in a big way. That's silly. Yes, if we reach for an LT or QB, then yes, it could set us back, but there are a number of topflight players who seem to be rated about as high as Allen, and who play more important positions, in general, but also more important positions for the Jets who will be there.

Brandon Moore's Butt likes this.
  14. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Mock Draft or not, the JETS are not in a position to take BPA until they have two players at the two key positions that every successful NFL franchise has and that is QB and LT. The JETS don't need to be taking a MLB on defense in the first round when their top two needs on the defensive side of the ball is a pass-rushing DE/OLB and a Free Safety. The best two players are at those positions are: Myles Garrett and Malik Hooker and outside from those two guys on the defensive side of the ball the JETS should be looking for their franchise QB and LT in the first two rounds.

And I do like the OT Bolles from Utah and would be overjoyed if he lasts until the second round.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Taking the BPA is not something a team is in "position to do," but rather it's what smart GMs do. Smart GMs don't reach out of need. Just taking an LT and a QB in the first two rounds would be absolutely stupid, unless they happened to be the BPA or very close to it. You don't take an inferior player at a position of need just to address the need and leave a vastly superior player on the board at another position of need. That's how teams wind up like the Browns.

James Hasty likes this.
  16. b.reyes16

You're missing the point. The pass D didn't fall off because of Harrison. The pass defense was awful. There was no need for any team yo run the ball. And I didn't act like it fell off a cliff. I said it's still a top 10 rush defense.

Also, who is out replacement for Snacks? Do all-pro NT's grow on trees?

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IMO if Watson lasts to #6 he will "be the BPA or very close to it." If not him, then Fournette or Cook. I do agree that taking the best LT available rather than the BPA is "reaching". If the Jets could fill their QB and pass rush in the first two rounds, it will be a great draft.

18. b.reyes16

Oh hell no, not in a 3-4. I was just addressing the ludicrous statement that the loss of Damon Harrison had a negligible affect on our defense. Allen is a great prospect but probably the only BPA I think I'd pass up on.

19. 101GangGreen101

We will have to see in Deon Simon. You run the ball to control the clock. Everyone wants to run the ball. The lost of Snacks had no major correlation to the defense falling apart. Believe me I wish he stayed but that wasn't the case. I am very concerned in terms of the deep middle and outside part of the field. I think a player like Hooker can help fix that. It's the perfect blend of BPA and need, that's the formula to win the draft.

20. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

The last time I checked the Browns have always been hesitant to take a QB every time they've had a top 5 pick and instead chose to trade down and accumulate more picks that have been average players at best, so get out of here with that logic.

The JETS need a franchise QB and LT at the end of the day and I don't know if Hackenberg is that guy but if the JETS believe he is than they need to make sure that they are putting young talent on the field that will immediately help the team instead of keep drafting and stockpiling DTs (Williams for example when Wilkerson and Richardson were already here) because they happen to be the BPA but not at a position of need. Leonard Williams has been great and is ascending but the JETS could have had Vic Beasley. Your logic only stands true if the GM drafts a BUST but when a position of need is there and the player is pretty good but they take the safe BPA pick, when it is not truly helping the team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.