QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Dibben

Dibben New Member

At least it's only for 1 year and we are therefore GUARANTEED a higher draft pick in 2018...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We need a 4th QB. Options include Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mark Sanchez.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Good analysis, and I agree with you about Fournette, (although Cook might be jut as good for them), if they decide to not trade up for Watson and he's gone by their pick. But if the Jets went the way you recommend, I would NOT sign Cutler, not only is he erratic, but he's a "Mevis" type. I also agree that I wouldn't sign a Taylor, Tannehill type who would only block the development of their future FQB, whoever that might turn out to be...Taylor, et. al. are not FQBs IMO, and would only make the Jets good enough to maybe get to the playoffs, but never to a SB.

nicg4360 likes this.
  4. Beki

Beki Active Member

Jets69 likes this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold is 19 years old and was a redshirt freshman this year. The odds on him coming out after next season are very low. He'll probably come out after the 2018 season and be picked in the 2019 draft.

You have to remember how quickly things can change with a young player who is projected highly in the draft. All it takes is a couple of off games or for his program to have an off year and he can tumble a round or more, particularly if he comes out early and the 2018 draft would be very early for Darnold. If he came out as a graduate QB he'd be in the 2020 draft.

On interesting comparison is Josh Rosen. He was projected as a very high pick in the 2018 draft based on his 2015 true freshman season at UCLA. Then he got hurt this year early on and had shoulder surgery. If he has a good year next year he'll pop right back up in the rankings and will have played more games than Darnold at that time at the same age. He'll also be early if he goes in 2018 but he'd enter the draft as a full Junior instead of a redshirt sophomore like Darnold will be next season.

The 2019 draft looks like it's shaping up to be the next monster draft for QB's and odds are that both Darnold and Rosen will be talked about as figuring high in the 1st round between now and then.

If they both come out in 2018 it will be a major crapshoot because they will both be very young (in Johnny Manziel territory) after the 2017 season.

#145 Br4d, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    nicg4360 likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

but if they stick around to 2019 draft they run the risk of getting the Teddy Bridgewater syndrome, that is having so much on film that people just start picking them apart too much and they get drafted later than they should. it's a tough judgement call for them

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Jets69 likes this.
  9. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Honestly, draft Fournette if he is there and resign Geno. Have an open QB competition and use rds 2-3 on OL, plus a few FA acquisitions. I like our odds with those steps. If whoever wins the QB competition stinks it up in 2017, then draft a QB in 2018.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My number one choice for FA QB is Nick Foles. Will be 28 next season. Has a 20-16 lifetime record including a 8-2 record in 2013 with a 119 QBR, including a playoff appearance. Started 1 game this year as backup to Smith in KC and won it. Felt he was a victim of a coaching philosophy change when they brought in C. Kelly in Phila. who was eventually fired. Mike Glennon, who will be 27 next year, has a lifetime record of 5-13 with no record this year. Glennon's performance in T.Bay, while showing promise, did not prevent team from passing on drafting Winston. Glennon would definitely be a promising addition to what's currently on the roster, but think Foles is better.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would look to bring in two cheap solid backups to join our QB derby. Give them both a deal with incentives for games started, playoff wins, pro bowl, etc. and let them know that the #1 job is up for grabs.

I think Ryan Mallet and Ryan Nassib are two guys I would like to see competing for the #1 and #2 jobs with Petty and possible Hack.

Much like Sanchez I think the only way Geno makes it is with a change of scenery. I would let him walk.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Two QBs? Why? What's the point in that, especially with those two guys? If you sign them both, you have to pay them both, and it means the Jets would either have to carry 4 QBs again or they'd have to cut either Petty or Hack, and it's too early to even think about that. I'd take Petty any day over both those clowns. IMO Glennon or Foles are the best options.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. westiedog1

I like Ryan Nassib from what I've seen in preseason games. Don't know much about Mallet other than his NFL record, though scant, isn't impressive. The problem with these two plus Petty and Hackenberg is that they are all question marks. If you're Maccagnan and Bowles, and your job is on the line, you'd have to be pretty stupid to go into next season with a ? at QB, unless Woody is so gracious as to give them another losing season to try these guys out. I can see him doing that with a No. 1 pick but not these guys.

15. ColoradoContrails

I agree with this approach, with the exception that if they can somehow trade up to get Watson - or if impossibly he falls to #6 - you grab him. And I wouldn't give Geno a big, or long contract - maybe a one year deal with incentives - so that if they do get a shot at drafting a franchise QB in 2018 he isn't there blocking their development.

16. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I agree, a young stop-gap with some upside like Glennon or Foles is essential for this team. I don't agree with the TB's drafting of Winston being a knock on Glennon. When a team is drafting at the top of the draft, and there is a perceived elite QB prospect, you take him even if you have a young good to very good prospect on the roster. Once upon a time, the Chargers drafted Eli & then traded down to select Rivers, all while having a young Drew Brees on the roster. In hindsight, should that have been an indictment on Brees?

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I totally agree with you on this. It's probably better for the QB's to come out next year after their 3rd college season if they have great seasons. It's worse for the NFL talent evaluators in that situation because it's hard to project the maturity and leadership qualities in a 20 year old prospect and QB needs both in abundance for a guy to have a good chance to succeed.

California colleges produce a lot of very hyped QB prospects and so it becomes doubly hard to sort through the hype after just 3 years in college. Of course the 4th year often exposes people like Matt Barkley who would have been much better off coming out as a Junior. He'd have been a low 1st/high 2nd at worst as a Junior and he went in the 4th round as a Senior.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes, barkley is a good example. They don't play much defense in the Pac 12. That's probably why California colleges produce a lot of very hyped QB prospects. I think if we started seeing better defense played at the college level in general there might be better NFL QBs.

I have been very down on the quality of play in the college game, especially on defense. But I watched a show with Bobby Bowden and he explained about how in all of his years of coaching he noticed the offenses would innovate and dominate and then defenses would take time but figure it out and catch up and they would start dominating. He thinks we are just in the offense end of the cycle. I hope he's right he certainly brought in some good points.

I think a big name exploding on the scene as well would create some momentum for defenses. I think that happened in the 90s. The Early 90s was similar to today with outrageous video game numbers on offense in college. Then Charles Woodson came along and all of a sudden we saw an influx of talented players on defense in college (circa 1998-2006ish) and it improved the game and the fortunes of QBs entering the NFL. Maybe that's all it would take but I believe the next defensive renaissance will come at the LB position with smaller, quicker LBs that can run sideline to sideline and keep up with the spread game and bait QBs into interceptions.

but back to our original discussion- - with the way the game is now I believe these young QBs like Rosen and Darnold should absolutely take advantage of it and enter the draft ASAP. If I was advising them I would tell them that anyway.

Br4d likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Interesting interview on WGN Radio about the Bears situation with QB, and if you replaced "Bears" with "Jets" a lot of what is said applies IMO.

http://wgnradio.com/2017/01/04/doug...as-the-worst-season-in-chicago-bears-history/

The meat of the QB discussion is about halfway through - 8 minute mark +/-. It sounded like the Bears - or at least the guys talking - are very high on Watson, so if that's true, he probably won't fall to #6.

20. westiedog1

Their trade for Rivers was dictated by Eli's refusal to play in SD. Brees was horrible in SD until the very year they got Rivers. then he broke out with his first good season, but too late. The die was cast, Chargers decided not to renew contract and he went to NO. Nevertheless, I agree that Glennon's first year is not indicative of how good he could be. TB was a mess of a franchise then, with Greg Schiano sitting Josh Freeman and going with Glennon and then getting canned himself. The new FO drafted Winston and that sealed Glennon's fate. Just saying, between Glennon and Foles, I'd take Foles.

P.S. Jets should look into Josh Freeman as well. Always liked him, and bet he could still be productive in the right system.