2nd round CBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by RubenDias, Jan 12, 2017.

1. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Since the media says this is the deepest CB Draft in the last 10 years what are the options that you guys believe will be there with our second round pick , and are they legit starters at that slot ?

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At this point, CBS NFL Draft Scout has the following CBs rated as possible 2nd round prospects:

Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson Round 1-2
    Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio St. Round 1-2
    Tre'Davious White, CB LSU Round 2
    Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee Round 2
    Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida Round 2
    Adoree' Jackson, CB, USC (So. Cal) Round 2
    Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan Round 2-3
    Rasul Douglas, CB, WVA, Round 2-3
    Chidobe Awuzle, CB, Colorado Round 2-3
    Kevin King, CB, Washington Round 2-3

I think the chances are pretty darned good that the Jets will take a CB in Round 2. I think the only way that won't happen is if they take Watson in the 1st round, then look to take a pass rusher or Ramczyk or some other OT that they like in the 2nd round. Even though Bowles is a former DB and DB coach, I'd be surprised if they took a FS in round 1, then a CB in round 2, but guess it could happen.

I like White better than Tankersley. I've seen other posters who like Conley, Wilson, and Jackson. I haven't had time to follow college ball closely this season, so don't know which ones are better suited to press coverage and man-to-man vs. zone.

WW85 likes this.
  3. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Read somewhere that Tank is really good press corner, not so much off the line.

4. NCJetsfan

I saw Clemson play several times this year, and his play was mixed at best. At times, his coverage was very good, but at others, he was beaten like a drum, and also missed tackles if memory serves me correctly. Surely there must be a better CB who can play press coverage. If not, hopefully he can improve with good coaching (whether or not he gets that with the Jets is another matter!).

boozer32 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Quincy Wilson and Tabor combined to make the best cornerback duo in college football. I'd imagine Adoree Jackson goes in the first round due to his big play capabilities.

About the only position we picked a good year to draft one is cornerback. Knowing how this franchise runs, we'll take the other Alabama cornerback Tony Brown who plays a Dee Milliner style of off cover-3 and he'll suck.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

There will be enormous expectations for a CB taken at 6.

Is there a consensus on the best CB in the draft?

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

With the depth this draft offers, it'd be silly to invest the sixth overall pick in one. He better be Deion Sanders if we do so, and while
    there are some good ones in this draft, I don't see any Deion's out there.

8. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'm partial to Chidobe Awuzle...... he's was the best defensive player by far for CU this year...... great cover corner

WW85 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Not true at all. It's a great year for pass-rushing OLBs, and a very good year for both FSs and TEs. It's also a pretty good year for RBs.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Awuzie is a really good player, I would have no problem drafting him.

My favorites would be Awuzie, Lewis & Kevin King from NCjetfan's list.

I'm still a huge Kevin King fan, I think he out played Sidney Jones out in Washington for a good part of the year and I like Jones too.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Desmond King? He might have the best awareness / football IQ out of all of the corners. Might not be the fastest, but very physical.

12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Taking a OLB is high risk and extremely high risk taking one at #6. We need a QB and some offense. Its time to stop overdrafting the defense. Lot of good it did this year. 3 1st rounders on the DL, 1 first, one 2nd and two 3rds at LB 2 first rounders in the secondary.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Taking an OLB is not necessarily a high risk, but even if it is, there's a high reward. In order to get a stud pass rusher, he will have to be taken early. Our team will never win anything until they can get a consistent pass rush. A real pass-rushing threat has been a glaring need for 10 years or more. It's way past time we got one. This is the draft to do it. If the Jets don't, I hope they never win another game as long as Woody, Mac and Bowles are here.

BomberJet, blackssmagic and boozer32 like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While they do need a stud pass rusher, I disagree that they need one more than a stud QB or RB, as you know. I also think they can get a difference maker as a PR in a lower round since there are lots of LBs in this draft. The last great RB the Jets had was Curtis Martin and they did pretty well then. They've focused on "D" since Rex arrived and what has it gotten them? They need to improve the "O" now.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. boozer32

I so agree we need a pressure gennerating OLB. But how many are drafted at #6. Clay Matthews, Ansah were taking later. Vic Beasley was the only one I think drafted top 10. Guy's like James Harrison were late or even free agents. My big concern is the Jets coaches not being able to coach anyone up. They just suck.

16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Having watched Lewis, King, and Awulze. ....I watched these 3 all year long....I would love to see any of these 3 on the Jets

17. NCJetsfan

Well, of course they need a stud QB, but they don't grow on trees. I totally disagree that a stud RB has a greater impact or is more important than a stud pass rusher. One doesn't need a stud RB to have a very effective offense and a very effective rushing attack. Conversely, having a stud pass rusher changes the complexion of one's entire D. The pass rusher is THE most important player on D. He is the major play maker or causes the QB to get rattled and throw interceptions or he gets strip sacked by the pass rusher or other pass rushers because of the presence of the stud pass rusher.

IMO CuMar was NOT a stud RB. He was a very good RB and very good at everything, but the only thing he was great at was staying healthy. You can get a back who'll give you similar production to CuMar in the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even the 4th round or lower.

They may have focused on D, but they went about it all wrong and didn't get the most important position in a 3-4 alignment, a stud pass rusher. Rex tried to generate the pass rush with DB first and then when the rest of the NFL figured out his blitzes, switched to trying to generate pressure from the DL. That was stupid and why I despised Rex. In the 3-4 D alignment, the primary pressure is designed to come from the OLBs, NOT the DL or the DBs.

18. NCJetsfan

You can't be afraid to take a player because the Jets coaches suck. In all likelihood, the CS will only be here one more year.

You're wrong with your statistics about when the top pass rushers are taken. 90% of them are taken in the top half of the 1st round. Go back through draft history and you'll see how wrong you are. For every one of your Clay Matthews, I can give you 4-5 Von Millers.

BomberJet and boozer32 like this.
  19. boozer32

Maybe but there have been plenty of bust and that's just on the Jets. Gholston being the biggest and he was taken at #6 also. I beleive you can find them in any round but you have to do your due diligence. They probably take more time than most to develop. I would hope the Jets have more pressing needs right now than a OLB. Back to what I said a good coach can coach them up and maybe we already have one in Mauldin. I hope you're right and Bowles will out of here next year.

20. NCJetsfan

Just because the Jets have screwed the pooch in the past doesn't mean they will now. The only more pressing needs right now are QB and LT. Look how many years in the draft the Jets have not been in a position to get a topflight pass rusher. This year they are. If they don't take one, they're fools and deserve to never win. We've needed a pass rusher for over 10 years. Topflight pass rushers can take over a game. Look at what Von Miller did in the SB last year. Since we're most likely not going to get the LT we need out of the draft, and in all probability not going to get that QB, either, then we'd damn sure better get that pass rusher.

boozer32 likes this.