QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Watson is clutch, he came up big in the national championship game two years in a row. That is why he will not be there at #6. Right now he is my second ranked player behind Garret. If Garret ain't there and you have a chance to take Watson that is what you need to do.

2. Dibben

Dibben New Member

So the only option we have is to trade. You think #6 pick + another pick +Sheldon + Someone else would be enough!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Probably not. It's hard to say because no one - except Cleveland - knows who they really want. If it's Watson or Garrett, they probably won't trade the #1 pick because they know neither will be there at 6. If it's Trubisky they want, maybe they'll trade but it will take multiple picks, and Sheldon and maybe Hack or Petty probably. But frankly I don't think Cleveland would have the guts to trade away a #1 pick at this point. After all, would the Jets? What would Jets fans do if we had the #1 pick and decided to trade down, even for a massive haul in return? Remember - fans are driven by emotion, not logic, and the emotional cost of giving up the only thing a team has "won" after years of futility would be off the charts.

It's possible that the Jets might be able to get the #2 or 3 pick which, if the Browns don't snag Watson, would allow the Jets to get him since the Lions and Bengals aren't rumored to be looking for a QB. Again, the price would be high, but worth it IMO to secure a position for a decade and give them a chance for a SB. I don't see Watson slipping to 6 past the Bears or Niners, unless the current glow on him fades and I don't think that's likely.

Dibben likes this.
  4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The reasons why he would slide is if any of those teams value the other options more such as Garrett or Fournette or if they address their QB needs via free agency or a trade.

5. nicg4360

Also remember the jets aren't the only team maybe looking to maybe wait for the better QB class of 2018. If it's a better group next year there may be a couple of surprises of teams that may pass on QBs this year.

Dibben likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

This would certainly be a lot more accurate if written "potentially dominant."

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

any team that thinks like this will have many shots at drafting a qb at the top of the draft over the next 5-10 years. it is simply not a good idea. you take what is in front of you when it is in front of you.

8. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Nah, he'll be a bust like Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, or Geno Smith. :eek:

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Draft that kid from Clemson (Deshaun Watson) at #6, and go with Petty starting, Hack dressing for games, and backing up Petty. Then, during the bye week, get rid of one of those two guys (Petty/Hack) and promote the rookie Watson as your BU on the sidelines writing stuff down, wowing at the speed of the pro-game (from a safe distance!). The day we're out of PO contention, promote Watson again, this time as starter for the last 3-4-5 games.

Then stay with Deshaun Watson as the starter and keep Hack as BU for the next 10 fucking years, bring home 3 or 4 Lombardi's. Make it 5.

This shit is SOOOOOOOOOOOO fn easy. They need to hire ME as team president, GM, Director of Scouting, and assistant HC all rolled into a new position called The Team Teutates. No one fucks with the Teutates.

If I don't bring home the Lombardi in 2 yrs you can fire my ass and take all my wives.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Dude, whatever it is you're smoking should be mass produced, packaged and sold wholesale at the nearest medical marijuana dispensary.

12. nicg4360

That's true for sure but that does not mean it does not happen. Take Cleveland for instance they could have had Goff or Wentz and passed on both and grabbed a backup quality qb. I think if your at 6 and can get someone like Watson do it. I totally agree but it does happen.

13. Dibben

Dibben New Member

This appears to be the only real problem with the 'draft' system. We don't have anything like it here in Scotland for the Football. Players basically go where they want.

In NFL, if you can manage to suck for a good few years in a row - then you can stand a good shot at picking your QB. The Jets - the perennial underachievers never seem to be THAT bad to warrant a full choice!!!

I'm torn - leap from 6 to 1 or 2 is high but not as high as mid round - should we improve next year...

will the Browns fancy someone else so we don't need to trade??? So many questions!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

This so much

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I'm sure a few bad gms have made decisions based on the next draft and I'd bet many of them were not gms much longer. using the browns as your example was fitting.

nicg4360 likes this.
  16. nicg4360

It's mentioned quite often about the Sam Darnold sweepstakes next years draft. Last year if I remember correctly Deshaun Watson was the perennial 1st overall pick in everyone's minds and he had a so so year and fell out of favour of many. This exact thing could happen with Darnold. You can't place everything on a draft a year away when so much could happen good or bad with hopefuls. Get someone this year while we can.

HomeoftheJets and Dibben like this.
  17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Q: Do we need a QB?
    A: Perhaps

Q: Is this draft class considered to have good QB's?
    A: While subjective, most scouts agree that the top talent at QB are 3rd round prospects in most drafts

Q: Can the Jets afford a "swing-and-a-miss" in the 1st round of the 2017 draft?
    A: I would say this is a make or break draft for the Jets viability in the next few years

Q: What is the safest most sure fire selection with the #6 overall pick? (QB?)
    A: There's no such thing as guaranteed success, but I think that Leonard Fournette at #6 is the best bet to reaching that goal.
    (There hasn't been a talent of this caliber at the RB position coming out of the draft in quite some time. I say this fully aware of the success of Z.Elliott, T.Gurley, D.Johnson, etc. It's for this reason I elect Fournette. He looks like the 2nd coming of Adrian Peterson, but bigger and possibly faster. The presence of such a talent takes pressure off of so many areas, defense, O-line, QB, WR's)

Q: Is there an answer at QB in 2017, do we go with the Petty/Hack experiment or bring someone in?
    A: What scares me about the Petty/Hack experiment is that both have only known 1 OC (Gailey) since being drafted and he's now gone. So the next guy is going to come in and want to implement his system, thoughts, mechanics. Undoing a lot of what they have learned for the better or worst it's still relearning a lot of new information for 2 guys that were already deemed "projects". I think that one of the 2 guys will emerge and be successful, I'm not sure if it will be this year or not and that is the biggest question. I think you have to bring someone in, which brings me to the next Q&A...

Q: What type of QB do we bring in, a cheaper stopgap or a high priced/long tenure option?
    A: I'm willing to bet on the progression of Petty/Hack and would not be inclined to high priced 18mil/year+ QB's, like Romo, Cousins, Garapollo. Nor do I want to invest in the cheaper longer term contract of a Tannehill, Taylor, or Kaernick. I think the best option (price dependent) would be Jay Cutler. He has flaws a'plenty but should come relatively cheap and has had success in NFL. Arm talent has never been a question with him, the best part is he should be able to be signed to a "prove it" deal and honestly I think he has a very good chance of doing just that. If he does prove himself he's 33 and should have several years left. If not yank him and start whoever is winning the backup comp between Petty and Hack.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The problem with that kind of thinking is that it can lead a team to reaching for a player. If they think Watson has the potential to be a franchise QB and have him highly rated, that's one thing. It's quite another, however, if they think that they probably won't have a shot at taking a QB next season (in the 2018 draft) so they need to get a QB in the upcoming one.

They should only take Watson if they truly like him and believe in him, NOT out of fear that they won't be able to get one in the future. This is especially true considering that the Jets haven't had a stud pass-rushing OLB in forever, and this is the year that they could finally get one. They also have glaring needs at CB, FS, and the point could be made at RB and ILB as well. If for instance they have Garrett/Barnett, Hooker/Adams, Cook/Fournette or even Reuben Foster or Mike Williams rated higher than Watson, then they have to pass on Watson and take one of those position players.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

2017 Projected QB Depth Chart:
    1. Jay Cutler
    2. Bryce Petty
    3. Christian Hackenberg

Why? That's Jets Football!

20. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I think this would be a perfect fit for him and the Jets.

There needs to be a veteran presence at QB on this team and if one of the younger guys were to beat him out so be it. That would prove Petty/Hack to be the right choice despite the change at OC, and their perceived readiness to take the starting role. I just think this way you maximize your chances at having a viable starting option moving forward.

My one reservation in having Cutler as the starter is I seriously doubt he would be the best mentor. For our young receiver core, or our young QB's. As far as what he's like in the film room or on the practice field the guy might be the exact opposite, but his lack of enthusiasm on the sidelines and towards the media is palpable. This may only be a perception sort of thing.

#140 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017