If Abe is traded....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by IslandJET, Mar 7, 2006.

1. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

How big is the drop-off to Bryan Thomas?

I'm curious because I'm one of those guys who ALWAYS watches the ball, whether we're on offense or defense. I never really see the ends unless there's good pressure or a sack. Also, how is Thomas at playing on the right? Isn't he slated as a LDE? If so, doesn't that mean he usually practices on the left? How big is the difference to playing RDE like Abe?

Sorry for all the questions, but as a former QB I know exactly SQUAT about playing defense.

2. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

The drop off is huge:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187381

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302229

It's not like no one knows what Bryan Thomas is capable of, he's started 22 games in the last three years.

Don't think its huge? Would anyone be talking about the Lions giving up the
    9th pick in the draft to sign Bryan Thomas? Be honest now, if Thomas was franchised what is the highest draft pick you expect to get from another team in need of a DE?

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I have heard different things about Thomas. A buddy of mine thinks he is a huge let down....considering he was drafted in the first round. I tried to find some info on him and apparently he ran a 4.48 or something at the combine in his draft year.....so maybe a good d-line coach can use that speed and make him good....

4. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

The Jets D-Line coach is the same one they had last year. As a senior he hired a speed trainer to get the fastest 40 time possible to help him move up the draft boards. It was a smart move as he was a fast riser on the draft boards that year.. He would be hard pressed to run a 40 in 4.75 now.

5. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

If we are actually switching to a 3-4 he may be better that Abraham. In a 3-4 the pass rush primarily comes from blitzing LBs. The job of all the linemen in a 3-4 is primarily clog up the OL so that the LBs can make the play. If Abraham stayed he would likely not be playing end in the traditional sense, he would likely be a blitzing OLB.

6. al kickurass

al kickurass New Member

People need to relax. Losing Abraham is big, but not the end of the world. It isn't as though Thomas gets beat regularly giving up big play after big play. There is a drop off in talent. But he was definitely the best backup in the league at end. I loved having him around.

Of course, he is a bust regarding being a first round pick. Being a first rounder you should be a starter and nearing pro bowl status.

We will be fine with Thomas. He makes plays, just doesn't get sacks. Who knows with more playing time he might???? Could be wishful thinking!

I would much rather have Thomas starting, than keep Abraham at the same contract Ellis got, or worse!

If Thomas could get better at shedding off blockers, he will make more plays. I hope we resign him for cheap next year and hopefully he keeps improving - which at least he has done each year.

7. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

BT is more suited for the 3-4 IMO. He is great against the run and sideline to sideline.

It is a huge dropoff in the passrush, its not ever compareable.

8. Khan

Khan Active Member

So really, how fast his Bryan Thomas?

9. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

THe biggest dropoff will be passrush. No one on the teams gets to the QB except for Abraham and now he'll be gone. Hopefully our schemes can make up for the double digit sacks we will give up.

10. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Don't forget that he bulked up considerably from when he first came into the league- so that can't help to improve a 40 time I am sure.

11. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

Their is no real way to know that. Before the draft he ran a 4.4 to 4.5 bu tI dont think he is that fast now. He is still faster then most nfl DE's.

12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The real beauty of the Bryan Thomas aspect is this is when we find out if Mangini can coach and get more out of his players. If Thomas maybe starts off a little slow out of the gate this year, but by the end of the year is playing at the over-achievement level than we can be sure that Mangini had a hand in Thomas's improvement.

13. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I think Bryan Thomas could be a solid player. Hes not really a bust he just didnt live up to 1st round expectations. He looked pretty good last year when he took over for Abraham. Hes a good run stopper too but not as good as a pass rusher then Abe but hell stop the run better.

14. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I can elaborate if you want me to, but I watch the line play mostly, and Bryan Thomas is not bad. He is aware and can shed blocks, he hustles after plays and he seems to ahve good stamina. He definitely does not look for the sack as much as Abe does and he does not have that incredible first step, but yes, he's good and like someone else said, in a 3-4, the strengths you need are the ones he has.

15. lightning

lightning Active Member

That would be the definition of a bust.

16. lightning

lightning Active Member

I agree he is not bad, the funny thing was when he was drafted, we thought he was a great pass rusher and not so strong against the run.

17. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Definition of bust in my opinion would be someone with HUGE expectations like a Reggie Bush type player to turn out to be bad. Like Ryan Leaf.

18. lightning

lightning Active Member

That's more like a catastrophe

19. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

Whatever point is I still think Bryan Thomas could be a solid DE.

20. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

He is a solid DE.