QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

If it came to that Mac could move up to get Watson.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's not the best bama D ever by any means.

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Arguably one of the best defensive units Saban has ever had.

4. BrowningNagle

that's a little better to say arguably the best in just the Saban era but I wouldn't agree with that argument myself.

Their 2009 and 2011 defenses were much, better IMO. Studs at every level of the defense. This year's defense has a great D-line like those but the LBs and secondary are weaker. They are opportunistic though, that accounts for something. They also have a new D-coordinator this year with Kirby Smart leaving. I think that's an important loss.

--

Numbers wise they might look better than other Saban defenses but they aren't. They have benefitted from a weaker than normal SEC and sliding by without facing elite passing attacks. Also their defense looks better by comparison because nobody in the damn country plays defense anymore. Just because they do doesn't make them the best historically.

Clemson will be the best passing offense they've faced since Ole Miss earlier in the year. Ole Miss hung 43 points and over 500 yards on them. (the 09 and 11 teams never let that nonsense happen).

I expect Clemson to score quite a bit tonight and I think it could take 40 points for Bama to win. They might or might not but I don't think people should judge Watson any differently, he's facing a good college defense, not the best ever

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point. In addition to this being a weaker QB draft class, it's a very weak draft class for LTs. Just the Jets luck. It is a very strong draft for pass rushing OLBs, however, and I believe the Jets should either use their pick at #6 to take the best pass rushing OLB available, or seek to trade down and take Ramczyk. In an ideal world, the Jets would have adquately addressed the LT spot for another year or two in FA, and then be free to take the pass rusher at #6, then look to take their future LT in next year's draft. Unfortunately, they may not be able to do that.

nicg4360 and Noam like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I hope he has a good game tonight, I think there's a good chance he's there at 6 barring trade ups. You mentioned it before, but Chip leaving the 49ers could've open the door. I was lukewarm on Watson at first, but this is a good kid, seems to be very coachable, and this is starting to remind me of how Bridgewater / Carr were treated prior to the draft a few years back. He misses on some deep throws, and the pro aspect in terms of going through reads might be questionable, but he looks the part.

FJF likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I like him with our 1st but not our 1st,2nd, 3rd and 6th

HomeoftheJets and joe like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

I like his receivers, Scott &Williams, a lot more. I don't think Watson will be a bad NFL QB but I think he's overrated as a prospect. He can't throw a slant pass, that's one of the bread & butter NFL passes. His receivers have bailed him out a lot.

He has good mechanics though and is a good leader but I think he will be intercepted quite a bit in the NFL. I think he will be a long term backup/fringe starter in the NFL. You can count on him not to do anything stupid but he won't be good enough to lead a team consistently. Nothing wrong with that role, teams need that type of player.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Williams has bailed him out on several occasions. Watson's accuracy is inconsistent, but I've seen him consistently complete that outside shoulder / back shoulder, he actually makes those throws really well, even down the field when he's on, it's on point. Those throws are nearly impossible to defend. Make him throw on the run with out-routes cause he has the arm strength. I think it all depends what team he goes on and how they tailor the offense. I think he has a shot to be a good QB, maybe even Pro Bowl level. He's very coachable.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

okay yeah that's fair. It will depend on where he goes. He is a good football player who can learn and improve. He's a low key "aw shucks" georgia boy so I don't think him coming here and being thrown into the hot stove with Hackenberg would be good for his career.

If he fell or something and Andy Reid got his hands on him in KC, for example, with low rookie expectations and Reid's ability to coach up QB's with accuracy issues, he could end up being a good QB in the NFL.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Thoughts?
    Romo would break leg stepping off the plane into NY. What were you trading for the 5 minutes he would be off IR?
    Hoyer, do you expect him to turn his career around with the Jets?
    Bradford? Probably a better chance they trade Bridgewater.
    Garoppolo, he of 94 total passing attempts? They wouldn't and the Jets shouldn't
    McCarron, you think he is worth a 2ND round pick (effectively what trading Richardson would be)? For a one year rental?
    Glennon is the only one I would consider of that group and only because he is young and should come relatively cheap, throw him Petty and Hack in and see who wins the job. If that doesn't do it there is a much better crop of QBs next draft.

12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Glennon is not going to be cheap.

13. Dibben

Dibben New Member

I'm of the opinion that we ignore QB in this draft. Build the OL, DB etc and look to give Petty and a FA QB the competition.

As mentioned elsewhere I don't think Petty was as bad as some have made out. With an improved OL he may flourish. And if he doesn't - we get a higher pick next year with a better QB pool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hwismer likes this.
  14. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jamarcus Syzzzzzzurp

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

16. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Key word, relatively. Romo would cost $54M for 3 years plus a draft pick minimum, Bradford would be $17M next year which wouldn't be bad but it would likely take a minimum of a 1st rd pick, Garoppolo sure the salary is dirt cheap but the ask in picks would be outrageous, Hoyer whatever he would cost would be too much. Glennon will get a decent contract but would cost nothing in picks.

Now I did rethink on McCarron, if they could trade Richardson for McCarron and a mid round pick I don't think I would hate that. Being he was injured his first year he wouldn't have 4 years accrued at the end of next season so they could tender him a RFA for 2018 and possibly sign long term if he looked like he would be worth it. By tendering him RFA, even if another team signs him the Jets would get a pick back.

I would actually rather McCarron over Glennon but really don't see Cinci wanting Richardson as they really don't have the need.

17. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Sign a vet QB and let him compete on a level playing field with Petty and Hack. No depth chart at QB going into camp whatsoever, unless it's alphabetical and let them all compete - for Hack and Petty, sink or swim. None of them will have a huge leg up as they'll all be learning a new system. Not drafting a QB this year. Build O line, CB, OLB and RB with BPA every round of this draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Like the Post cept not drafting a QB...make a commitment to offense with OL and RB

Accumulate enough QBs that are average but better than a Geno...don't trade up for Watson,,,4 rounder or downward

I really like Darnold if we shy away from QBs this draft

You now have some trade ammunition to get a Tyrod Taylor...

Tonights a good game but I learned some time ago it never pays to bet against Bama

#98 NYJetsO12, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

sounds good but bowles doesn't do it that way. bowles will name a starter who will be the starter until he plays his way out of it.i'm very curious to see who that will be.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Jets are in a tough spot. They really need a Franchise QB, but there are no slam dunks available this year, and unless they cynically tanked next year to try and get a top 2 pick, they can't be guaranteed getting their FQB in '18 either. This means they're going to probably overpay - in draft picks or money or both - for a crap shoot this year. So no matter what, they're going to be gambling.

Given the many holes they need to fill however, I wouldn't want them to give up any picks or invest heavily in a veteran. I would hope that Trubisky or Watson fall to #6 for them, which is unlikely, so they'll have to look elsewhere for a QB. I would opt for signing a serviceable veteran, and looking for a QB in the later rounds, and having them compete with Petty and Hack, best man wins. With the 6th pick I would take Fournette or Cook to help take the load/pressure off the QB, and then address the LT, DB, pass rush, with subsequent picks. Then I would hope for either a miracle turn around next season, or that they only win a couple but look competitive and get a high enough pick in '18 to give them a shot at a FQB.

I also want a pony for Christmas.