2017 QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jetfannerd, Oct 5, 2016.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The kid Randolph looked pretty good for Oklahoma St. Nice pocket awareness and mechanics, accurate and athletic. Basically everything our 2nd round pick in 2016 isn't. If he's there in the 2nd I would grab him. Let the pundit whine and cry but you take a QB every year until you find one.

2. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Mitch Trubisky is having a rough game against Stanford with about 10 minutes left in the game. He took a terrible sack to knock his team out of field goal range, and he threw a pick 6 after being baited by a safety.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's going back to school

boozer32 likes this.
  5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Dup

#125 PulseJet, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  6. PulseJet

Watson with 2 picks and several overthrows in this game. He doesn't look like a top 1st round pick to me.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

one pick the wr fell down. he hasn't been rattled though and has made some nice throws. i think he is going to be good but don't think mac is taking a qb this year

blackssmagic and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  8. PulseJet

Yeah the db was positioned to make that int either way. Clemson WR's have been very good. Good TD throw by Watson there.

9. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Definitely not in love with any of the prospects this year and I do agree with the experts that this does not seem to be the year to reach for a QB high in round 1 (think Blake Bortles!!).

Tank in 2017 and take your QB in 2018. Let's get a hold-the fort guy like Glennon and take our chances while we pray that Hack develops.

10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm starting to get a better feel for the QB class after obsessively watching them since the season ended (spurred by the fact that the only QB on our roster that'll be healthy for training camp apparently can't hit the ocean).

Trubisky and Watson are both pretty safe picks. Trubisky probably wins out in terms of anticipation, touch and timing on his throws. However, much like Hack and Petty, he doesn't appear to have much of a feel for the pocket. When things start to break down, it pretty much always ends in a sack. Watson, on the other hand, exhibits the subtle drifting and sliding throughout the pocket that I loved out of prospects like Mariota, something that is a huge asset in the NFL. For that reason, in addition to his athleticism, I like Watson more than Trubisky. They're similar as passers, but Watson just has that added dimension of being able to extend plays. Also, his arm seems stronger to me, and it concerns me how much Trubisky needs to wind up every time he makes a downfield throw.

I still don't understand Deshone Kizer. Idk, maybe I'm just oblivious, but I'm not interested at all when I watch him.

I'm probably in the honeymoon phase with Patrick Mahomes because today was the first time I really watched him in depth, so I'll stave off on raving about him. But needless to say I'm extremely intrigued by all the tools he has. His arm strength is top notch and his instincts/improvisation are phenomenal. He's definitely sloppy but he's only 21 years old so there's time to mold him into something special.

I don't know whether or not he's going to declare, but I like Josh Allen as a second day prospect. He's another guy with a cannon and he his field vision is among the best in the class, too. The interception number and low completion percentage is alarming, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to school.

Brad Kaaya is the most technically sound QB in the class. His footwork and mechanics are great, he's smart and he consistently throws with touch and anticipation. However, I just don't think he has the physical tools to be a legitimate NFL starter. It's a shame because he does so many things by the book, but he has no athleticism and the arm strength just isn't there.

blackssmagic and Catfish Billy like this.
  11. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Brad Kaaya is the real shame. He does everything right except a few key things. I think his arm is good enough to playing the league, is Cody Kessler can be successful in spurts then Kaaya can. The real concern is how Kaaya folds in half when pressured. When kept clean he's arguably the most efficient in this class. Pressured he looks like a later rounder.

blackssmagic and Big Cat like this.
  12. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I'm watching Kizer, and I really don't see him being that much from Winston was at FSU. Winston was probably smarter and a more advanced passer, but they both share similar traits; they're aggressive, highly dependent on anticipatory throws, typically poised under pressure, strong arms and capable of consistently driving the ball down the field. I do have a problem with Kizer's inconsistency and his game against Stanford/ the first half of Michigan State was a concerning display in the accuracy department. He's capable of manipulating defense and displaying great pocket movement and the ability to reset and hit tight windows, but then he'll follow that up by hopping balls or overthrowing throwing open targets/poorly reacting to pressure.

His footwork can be lethargic and that leads to complications with accuracy. I want to watch more, but I don't think he's the project that he's been billed to be. His game against Texas better than anything I've seen from Watson or Goff/Wentz?Lynch last season.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We can get him next year. Really not expecting anything revolutionary on the QB fron this year. Hack will still not be able to hit the ocean. Just hope Petty can stay upright all year.

14. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

As a redshirt freshman, is there a good chance Sam Darnold leaves USC after next year?

15. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

He should. With another good season he could easily be the #1 pick of 2018

SonofDinger likes this.
  16. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

And I just heard that Mitch Trubisky just declared himself for the '17 draft. I'm hoping the Jets steer clear. I'd much rather tank and grab Darnold in '18.

17. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

I'd be really shocked if Darnold comes out next year personally. I'm thinking he comes out as a RS Junior in 2019 so he can get his degree.

18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I don't know why it's become cool to say that every QB class sucks but I like this one. Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, Mahomes is a very solid top 4.

19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Josh Allen will rise up draft boards if he declares as well.

20. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Josh Allen is the definition of a guy who should stay in school another year. Needs to learn to take what the defense gives him and stop trying to be Superman. Ball security is an issue.