Mike williams WR, Clemson (next Megatron?)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't watch a lot of college ball but this article caught my attention. This kid may be sitting there at 6. I think Clemson plays Alabama in a playoff game soon so if anyone wants they can see him play first hand. Grabbing a big WR that some say is the best coming out would not be terrible. What do you think? Marshall replacement maybe?

Highlite real:

Clemson's Mike Williams, the 'Next Megatron,' Could Be the Big Catch vs. Alabama
    By Matt Hayes , Featured Columnist Jan 4, 2017
    [​IMG]
    Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
    Mike Williams reacts after a catch against Pittsburgh.
    Reads
    Comments
    They come from all over to fish the fresh waters of Lake Marion and Lake Moultrie and just to be—to stare at forever on the horizon of South Carolina's inland sea, one of the most beautiful bodies of water on God's green earth.

A handful of miles back and just off Old Number Six Highway, in the sleepy, tiny town of Vance—population less than 200—is the home of the NFL's next superstar receiver.

The next Megatron.

"For real?" Clemson wideout Mike Williams asks incredulously when told that NFL scouts are comparing him to the receiver who dominated their league for nearly a decade. "Somebody actually said that?"

For real.

"He's the closest thing I've seen to Calvin Johnson in a while," one NFL scout told Bleacher Report. "He's tall and long and fast and has all the physical tools of the great receivers we've had." And, like Johnson at Georgia Tech, "He's a long way from the ceiling of what he could be."

One NFC college scouting director compared Williams to Demaryius Thomas of the Broncos and Alshon Jeffery of the Bears, per Albert Breer of The MMQB (h/t NFL.com). An AFC executive told Breer he's the best receiver in the 2017 draft class.

If the redshirt junior comes out, as expected.

[​IMG] Jamie Squire/Getty Images
    Williams can't quite reach a pass against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.
    Before we go further, let's stick with the here and now, and the immediate future of Monday's College Football Playoff National Championship. The one thing Alabama doesn't do so well (cover in the secondary) leaves the Crimson Tide open to the one thing Clemson did better than any Power Five school over the last four months: pitch and catch.

This season, Williams has caught 90 passes for 1,267 yards and 10 touchdowns, many of which were worthy of one or more of his multiple highlight reels. On 3rd-and-4 or longer, he has 21 catches for 366 yards, a 17.4-yard average, with 15 first downs and three touchdowns.

The best indicator of just how vital he is to the Tigers: In Clemson's offense, the boundary receiver is the most important spot in the passing game, co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott said. He has to catch 80 to 90 percent of balls thrown his way. Williams has never dipped below the high-80s all season.

That Williams is even here to play at all, a year after he was pushed head-first into a goal post as he caught a touchdown pass in the 2015 season opener, breaking a bone in his neck, is where this story begins.

You don't leap in the air for a ball and come down just short of the goal post, with nowhere to go but straight into the dark uncertainty of a neck injury, then spend a few weeks in rehab and jump right back into it.

"You're not outworking that injury," Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said. "You're praying and hoping and doing everything the doctor says and hoping to get a second chance."

Well, sort of.

click link for more of the article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...xt-megatron-could-be-the-big-catch-vs-alabama

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Only taking BPA available at OL/CB/Pass Rusher/RB in rounds 1-6. Any of those four is a WAY bigger need than a WR right now. WR and D line might be the only two positions that are deep enough to not warrant a draft pick. I would take a flyer on a WR late, but only if he's also a decent punt returner...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Jets will take him if he's available. I'd trade down for picks, but he'll probably go 4 or higher after the hype.

James Hasty likes this.
  4. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

He'd be great but we need a qb that can throw him the ball and/or an oline that can keep the qb up right to again get him the ball. Sorry this draft has to be very offensive line heavy.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Of the top 30 receivers in the NFL this year in terms of yards, 17 are on non-playoff teams.

In quickly glancing at the list, I also counted 18 of those players were not first rounders (might be off by one or two).

Just some food for thought. The college game has evolved with heavy passing just as the pro game has, making good quality receivers a lot easier to find in the later rounds of the draft.

I like Williams as a prospect, but I don't think he's comparable to Megatron at all. Few prospects are. Calvin was 6'5", 230 coming out of college. Mike Williams is much skinnier at 205 and two inches shorter. He reminds me much more of AJ Green, although I don't think he's near as polished as Green was.

6. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Picking him in the first round is a wasted pick. The biggest needs are in the O Line. We need potential starters and backups in the later rounds. Corner backs and safetys should also be in the mix, including a possible edge rusher. A late round RB would help. There isn't any QB's available in early rounds. We'll pick up a vet QB for the year, and I hope it isn't Romo or Cutler.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He's going to be a great player...very confident in saying that

Smooth and cataches everything with his hands

Rather go Fournette or Cook but we'd be getting a damn good player with a very low bust potential here

boozer32 and Catfish Billy like this.
  8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind trading down this draft, actually, We are a few years away from being competitive and I am most likely sure than Macc and Bowles will be gone this time next year. Get as good picks as you can from this draft.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

We have alot of time between now and the draft. I'd like to see what we do in free agency and all but if the comparission to Megatron is true and we could get him I'd do it. When was the last time we drafted a difference maker on offense in the draft. I know we don't need a WR but at 6 I'd take him. We need so much more but it'd be hard to pass up a talent like him.

10. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

I said it last year and I will say it again. Wr is a need for this team. Brandon Marshall is old, Decker is always hurt. Enunwa is good but has not proven to be able to handle the #1 wr load, plus I like him way better as a hybrid TE/WR.

Everyone else is completely unproven. Anderson, Peake and Smith are all huge question marks and none of them are in the frame of being a true #1 wr ( besides Peake, but his injury history is worrisome. I would be thrilled if we drafted Mike Williams since there are no highly rated o-linemen coming out this draft for a number 6 pick.

There is also a ton of RB talent in this draft. There is no reason why we cant snag a guy in the 3rd or 5th round that can come in and produce, so no need to blow a top pick on overrated Fournette.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Williams is a really great receiver. He will be very good in NFL. Idk about Calvin Johnson-good, that's a stretch, but he will have a long career and make someone very happy. He has outstanding ball skills and will do a lot of damage particularly in the red zone in the NFL.

and I hate Clemson.

If we take him, bye bye Brandon Marshall. Decker & Williams on the outside, Enunwa in the slot and Anderson the deep guy. That's a wealth at the position. I would prefer offensive line myself above all though

Catfish Billy likes this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Jets desperately need an infusion of talent on the offensive side of the ball. While WR isn't the biggest need it is definitely a need. I don't know about the Calvin comparison but Williams certainly has true number 1 WR potential at the next level.

This is not gonna be a quick fix for this team and this draft does not seem to match our biggest needs at the top. Drafting a guy like Williams would be a great start to the rebuilding of the offense for this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfish Billy likes this.
  13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm stuck between whether I like Mike Williams or Corey Davis more. Both look like absolute studs.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Stephen Hill is the only "next Megatron" in my book.

15. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Watching him in the championship game he was a flat out beast. Made some big time clutch plays. Impressive for sure.

16. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Wish we had both of Cleveland's picks so we could get both Williams and Watson.

James Hasty likes this.
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I like that TGG is thinking Offensive Football after years of "defense wins championships"

So sure...lets build an OL first and then grab some RBs and receivers later

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Instead of worrying about needs you take what the draft gives you. The more quality players you draft the less holes you end up with later.

Playing whack-a-mole and reaching for non-BAP to fill holes will leave you with more holes than you started with.

Freddy Mondo, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, but I don't think NYJets012 was advocating reaching. Based on his other comments, I don't think he realizes what a bad draft this is for LTs. Sadly, even thought LT is perhaps our biggest need (aside from QB and pass-rushing OLB), it's a lousy draft for LTs. That is going to HAVE to be settled in FA. Mac is probably going to have to pay through the nose to get a stop gap LT in place.

The good news is that we could come away with a Garrett, Barnett, Adams or Williams at #6 and have a real playmaker and stud on one side of the ball or the other that would also fill a need.

#19 NCJetsfan, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good point and no i have not seen whats out there with this draft as I am extremely busy at work

Its nice that we have TGG cause I mostly trust the discussions here/analysis

But to your suggestion that LT MUST be addressed in FA that kinda sucks cause its money only half well spent as a really young kid gives us more years of service

Mac came as advertised a former scout turned GM ....Cant he find some a diamond in the rough for us on draft day??

Forgive my ignorance, but how talented do you have to be to play Offensive Line?? i.e. good versus very good or excellent at pushing people outa the way? or even throwing a big body someplace lol?