Worst to First Candidates (Jets # 7)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Jan 6, 2017.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...7-season?campaign=fb-nf-sf49670467-sf49670467

Eagles, Jaguars lead worst-to-first candidates for 2017 season
    By Gil Brandt NFL Media senior analyst
    Published: Jan. 5, 2017 at 10:32 a.m.

With the playoffs about to start, this is the perfect time to examine the potential of the eight last-place finishers to flip the script in 2017.

After all, it was only a year ago that the current No. 1 seed in the NFC, the 13-3 Dallas Cowboys, were licking their wounds following a four-win campaign and last-place finish in the NFC East. They were our No. 1 pick to make the jump from worst in their division to first in 2016.

Who's going to make such a leap in 2017? Below are the last-place finishers from each division, ranked according to their chances to vault to the top of the heap by next January.

1) Philadelphia Eagles (NFC East)
    I don't think the Cowboys will win 13 games again in 2017. Dallas was 3-3 within the NFC East, with the Eagles playing them to overtime in Week 8 (and winning the meaningless regular-season finale). Going back to 2011, only four teams have gone from worst to first -- and all four came from the NFC East. So why buck the trend? The Eagles have a good, young quarterback in Carson Wentz, who bounced back nicely from a mid-season valley, and a promising coach in Andy Reid-disciple Doug Pederson, while Fletcher Cox, Jordan Hicks and Brandon Graham anchor a strong defense. The top-notch front office, headed by Howie Roseman, has eight draft picks coming up, including one in the top 20. Give them more speed at running back and receiver and look out.

2) Jacksonville Jaguars (AFC South)

Jacksonville has young talent, especially on its sixth-ranked defense, and the fourth overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. The Jags are also in the eminently winnable AFC South. Will they hire a coach who can pull the right strings with Blake Bortles? I feel optimistic about the young quarterback heading into next season, despite his struggles in 2016, because of my knowledge of him personally. While he obviously has to cut down on picks, he's a guy who works and has ability, arm strength and smarts. The Jaguars would be well-served to bring back offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett in some capacity.

3) Carolina Panthers (NFC South)

The Panthers scored less, gave up more points and posted a much worse turnover differential (from plus-20 to minus-2) than they did in 2015 -- but they still have many of the same talented players who pushed them to 15 wins and the Super Bowl last season. Carolina just has too many skilled players to finish with two consecutive losing records, and the organization is very healthy and good at what it does. The Panthers can address the need for offensive line help via the draft or free agency, while 2015 MVP Cam Newton, who will be just 28 when next season starts, should be able to rebound from a disappointing year. Still, the Falcons and Buccaneers loom.

4) Chicago Bears (NFC North)

With the Jay Cutler era all but over and backup Matt Barkley's audition marred by too many picks, the Bears need to find a quarterback. They do have a good start on constructing a power running team, with back Jordan Howard clearing 1,300 yards as a rookie. Coach John Fox has a history of defensive success, though Chicago was hurt this season by a distinct lack of takeaways (finishing with 11, least in the NFL). There are some good, young pieces to work with, including linebackers Leonard Floyd and Nick Kwiatkoski on defense and center Cody Whitehair, receiver Cameron Meredith and Howard on offense. The Bears have the third overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. The NFC North, meanwhile, is relatively open at the top, given that it does not currently house a clear-cut bully, the Packers' recent hot streak aside.

2. James Hasty

5) San Diego Chargers (AFC West)

The 5-11 Chargers were better than their record. A whopping 20 players landed on injured reserve by season's end, including key pieces like Keenan Allen, Danny Woodhead and Jason Verrett. Joey Bosa proved he could be a factor, generating 10.5 sacks -- but he was late to the party, missing four games after holding out. The distraction of a potential relocation has been -- and might continue to be -- an issue. Philip Rivers did not have his best year, but if he can cut down on the picks and the Chargers can stay healthy (or, at least, healthier), they should be able to make a more competitive push in 2017.

6) Cleveland Browns (AFC North)

The Browns are coming off a one-win season in which they ranked 30th on offense and 31st on defense. There is, frankly, no way they're topping the Steelers, Bengals or probably even the Ravens next season. But they aren't at the bottom of this list because they finally have organizational stability, plus the No. 1 overall pick and a raft of other selections in the 2017 NFL Draft. Upper management (including Sashi Brown) has done a good job, while Hue Jackson is a great head coach with a solid staff in place. There are some pieces on the roster who have something going for them, including receiver Corey Coleman, who I think is going to be a really good player. There are questions -- Can Jamie Collins or breakout receiver Terrelle Pryor be re-signed? What happens at quarterback? -- but after whiffing on so many draft picks, the Browns finally seem to be trending in the right direction.

7) New York Jets (AFC East)

When you allow almost 100 more points than you did the previous season (from 314 to 409), you're going to have trouble. It seemed like everyone but Leonard Williams was going through the motions on the defense, which dropped from fourth in 2015 to 11th this season. Though the jury is still out on Christian Hackenberg, I don't think the Jets currently have a quarterback on the roster they can win with. Still, beating the Bills in the regular-season finale was a good omen, and New York does have the sixth overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft to look forward to, plus a pretty good coach on the job in Todd Bowles.

8) San Francisco 49ers (NFC West)

Over the past two seasons, the 49ers have scored 547 points -- just seven points more than the Atlanta Falcons scored this season alone. San Francisco's fall from the penthouse to the outhouse was stunningly quick, fueled mainly by organizational instability and poor drafting. The team is now looking for a new general manager and its third new coach since 2015. There's no viable quarterback on the roster or, for that matter, very many players who look like they belong on a winning team. The Niners have to basically tear everything down and start over.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

WTF? We had the 11th best defense in the NFL this year?

From watching, I would have guessed we had the 11th worst defense in NFL history....

JetsNation06, JetBlue, Jets69 and 7 others like this.
  4. James Hasty

When we pounded the rock early on our defense didn't look all that bad. By the end of the season our defense couldn't catch a cold.

5. TwoHeadedMonster

If you say so. I thought it looked pretty awful as early as week 1.

RPOZ51 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

Yeah, by the end of the year we averaged 342 yards yielded per game, which is 11th. To break it down further, we were ranked 11th in rushing defense and 17th in passing.

However, we were 28th in points yielded per game with 25.6. That's probably where much of our perception derives from.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. TwoHeadedMonster

Maybe I just lack an understanding of how bad the other defenses are in the NFL? I understand about the points, especially after the several blow out losses. I just felt like there was no chance our defense could actually defend any pass attempt all season. If a QB could throw an accurate pass, our D wasn't going to keep it from being caught.

Our Defense has been pretty good year-in and year-out since 1998. There have been a couple of years here and there where injuries have made the stats look worse than the players actual performance on the field.

The last year that I remember the D looking this bad was the year Ted Cottrell decided that tackling was not a defensive function. Even that year, I think we had the league's #1 pass defense-- but it was only because there was no need to attempt a pass against those Jets.
    Even then, the Defense got better very quickly over the next year or two.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after I saw Clevelands upper management has done a good job and Hue Jackson is a great head coach. Complete troll job....

kevda5n9ne and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The defense was bad but the offense was pathetic..we could have had the best defense in the league and probably still wouldn't have won 8 games. You don't win many games averaging 16 points a game...oops, 17..that last game changed everything..haha.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+100

Had me lost when stated on Jets "they have a pretty good coach on the job with Todd Bowles"

What job was that?

JetBlue and SonofDinger like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

+10000

Been posting this for 2 years ...you don't win playing Defense

12. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

As long as Satan and his antichrist spawn who wears #12 are still around, the best we could ever hope for is worst to second

JetBlue likes this.
  13. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

The Jets are 7 in a list of 8...so the only team, among the very worst teams, that they believe has less of a chance is the 49ers which...yeah.

abyzmul likes this.
  14. TwoHeadedMonster

I thought the Offense was pretty good considering the we got every single offensive player from the bargain bin.

The D, on the other hand, had no excuse for not being top 3 in the league.

Jets put F- investment in the Offense and got a D+ performance.
    They put an A+ investment in the Defense and got a C+ performance. (C+ on paper, F+ by the eyeball test)

I'm WAY more upset about the Defense.

15. NYJetsO12

Please get yourself some help

16. NYJetsO12

Yep

Posting for 2 years how we throw good moneys (millions) on the D side of the ball and get middling returns on investment

Plus there is no way you win in this league that way...Denver had P Manning throwing darts and built their D to help him out

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

yeah that surprised me too...I was thinking like 28th or something. Didn't our passing defense give up like 300 pass plays over 40 yards or some shit like that? And that was just to the bye week. I remember giving up more long pass plays than any other team, by a LOT.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Oh please, we will never win another division as long as those two are still around. Come on now.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I sort of get what you're saying however the offense was far from the bargain bin. Three of our top 5 largest contracts are on the offensive side of the ball (Mangold, Decker, Marshall behind only Revis and Wilkerson) in terms of total money.

Carpenter is paid like a top 10 guard in the league and Clady's average salary was $10 million per year. Fitzpatrick was paid near the bottom of the league for 2016, but $12 million is a nice chunk of money.

We also invested around $8 million per year in the runningback position between Forte/Powell/Robinson. Forte is tied for being the 13th highest paid runningback in the league, while Powell is tied for being the 14th highest paid RB for 2016. Both of their contracts are basically fully guaranteed through next season.

We made some shitty signings on both sides of the ball, but it's not like we were paying all the offensive players the veteran minimum. Crappy signings doesn't mean bargain signings.

#19 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Which speaks directly to the guy(s) designing the scheme and calling the plays. Yet, Woodrow has faith in these clowns...

NYJetsO12 likes this.