Mike Mac press conference

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CBG, Jan 5, 2017.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

So if Bowles performs in 2017 like he did this year he's a goner.. woo hoo !

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  2. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I also get the feeling they're trying to avoid Idzik's public debacle from 2014. In a lot of ways I feel that disgraceful presser got him fired just as much as his mishandling of the roster.

I still like Mac. I really do. But man oh man, that Hackenberg pick is a major black mark for him right now.

3. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Lol yeah I know so much to look hopeful for!. He's been a coach for 2 seasons and still dosent get it I hope he comes out next year looking like a head coach should but it's probly way to much to ask:mad:

#43 Boomboom, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. Seems like he said all the right things. I hope they are sitting down with every player and telling them what they need to do to right this ship. I also hope they're allowing the players to express their plans to fix things. If guys are done, not accountable, or can't get along, root them out now. We've got to start building the foundation for next year right now. That's what good coaches and manager do.

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  5. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I didn't see the Idzik presser, but I'll take your word for it. And the jury is still out on Hackenberg. He has to be given a realistic chance. How long a look did we take at Sanchez? :eek::rolleyes:

6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

You're welcome...I figured since there was no live stream and not everyone has Twitter, it was a good idea the quotes on the forums.

Also, I agree that they said all the right things, although right now I want to see them do all the right things. You're 100% right when you say that we need to root out the players who have not bought in, who are source of division, etc. Macc did not say much about players who are currently on the roster but he said he liked Revis when they signed him, he did not say that he liked them right now. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think Revis is a goner.

Jets_Grinch and Red Menace like this.
  7. LarryAlRalph

Hopefully that's what's happening. And there's room in which it can occur, for at least Woody didn't leave them twisting for a month or more.

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It's not the pick that is the black mark, plenty of GM's have picked bust QB's in round 1, the black mark is that he competed against him self taking Hack in round 2. If you're competing against the league and have to pick someone a tad early or move up to prevent other teams from taking a need player that's one thing. When no one in the NFL had him rated higher than a 4th round pick at best... that's just a shitty pick by a GM that we thought was on the ball. The other black mark was selecting Devin Smith, a one trick pony in round 2. If you trade for noodle arm Fitz why are you wasting a 2nd round pick on a guy that can only run a go route with a QB that can't reach him? Those two bone head moves can't be repeated.

NYJetsO12, Matty Jets and SonofDinger like this.
  9. LarryAlRalph

My thanks as well. And as far as Revis goes, my take is this: in metallurgy there is a condition known as a "stress riser," a crack, gap or other defect around which stresses (energy) collect and spread, weakening the steel. On O this year it was Fitz, and on D there were a few, but the most obvious was Revis. It's important to remove the sources of these stresses. Let's make a definitive statement with a strong move forward.

10. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Well you just listed pretty much everything a HC is responsible for as an area for improvement. I feel great about next year!

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree, both Fitz and Revis were two figures that were the source of a lot of degradation on both sides of the ball. There is a few more but those two are a good start

LarryAlRalph likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My goodness

Woody ostensively giving them both a hugh bathroom pass

Of course behind the closed doors he might be ripping both of them..who knows

Just a set up for the heir apparent to TB that he doesn't see the organization like Buffalo ...a turnover machine

I wonder what Mac really thinks of sham HC we have

#52 NYJetsO12, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  13. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Woody made Bubba do the truffle shuffle to keep his job.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  14. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree - context matters. I hope Woody is smart enough to realize that not all losing seasons are the same. It can't be judged solely on record. I will admit, though, that my feeling this year was that the team had fallen apart to such a degree that Bowles deserved to go. With gritted teeth I'll wait and hope to be proved wrong.

Red Menace and LarryAlRalph like this.
  15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

I agree to a certain extent, but I have not seen anything from mac and bowels to make me think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. you could see it in dallas. you could see they had a real plan and just needed a few years to get the pieces together.

I don't see any of that with this group. the fact we fired just about every single assistant coach but kept the head coach shows exactly how dysfunctional we are as a team. there is not continuity. Who hired all those terrible assistants? if they are ALL bad and ALL need to be replaced then so does the idiot who brought them in.

16. Beki

Beki Active Member

I think the most important point of Maccagnan's press conference is the below quotes about Petty and Hackenberg.

On Bryce Petty: "I'm not going to speculate on what his ceiling may be. I think Bryce has a lot of potential. ... He has the physical ability to potentially develop into a starter. It's really up to him."
    On Christian Hackenberg: "We like Christian as a prospect. He's a young player; he's only 21 years old. He has made progress and he does have potential that we're focused on trying to make him develop."

Okay, so we have currently 2 young QB under contract and no other QB, who are still not on the level of a starter in the NFL. Great...
    However, I don't really know how they want to develop Hackenberg when he couldn't get any snap during practices.

PulseJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The injuries were insane this year. Based on playing 77 different players the Jets weren't going to go better than 7-9 at best.

We lost our C, both of our tackles, our RG, our 2nd receiver, our 2nd QB, etc on offense. We watched the defensive secondary either age out or get hurt.

I think Bowles did an iffy job this year but with those kind of injuries the Jets have always been 4-12 in the past and they were 5-11 this year.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BR4D,,I gotta ask you ,,,,when did we get all these injuries ? Yes we lost Decker early on and Mangold was banged up a lot and we lost Lee but going into Halloween or even Thanksgiving how banged up were we ? Injuries were NOT why this team sucked ass,,the secondary was intact the LB s were intact until Lee got hurt the D line was in tact,,,,,some teams can use injuries as an excuse I do not think we can ,,,we sucked because the team and coaches were bad ! I don't think losing Geno to injury was big deal , if not for his very cap friendly number he should not have even been on the team..

alleycat9 likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The injuries were a big problem, but you can't chalk them up to bad luck. When you put a team of overpriced, aging vets on the field, that's what you get.

ajax, FJF, dogg and 1 other person like this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darrelle Revis could have made any secondary coach look bad this year as well as any defensive coordinator. Gilchrist got hurt. The Jets did do one silly thing which was playing Pryor out of the box but the pass defense was so bad they may just have wanted as many bodies back in the secondary as possible.

I think this lousy year was first on the GM and second on the HC and then somewhere down the line on the assistants. I don't know if Mac would have made all the vet moves he did without a push from Woody Johnson so I don't know how much of the blame is really his and how much is on the organization as a whole.

The Jets talent base this year blew chunks once it was clear that Ryan Fitzpatrick was not prepared for the season and Mo Wilk was not recovered from the injury yet and Revis was ready to retire and Decker and Mangold both got hurt. That's just a crappy talent base and I think we got lucky to win 5 games, especially with the NFL stacking the schedule against us as heavily as they did. Rich Kotite would have gone 0-16 with the combo Bowles was handed.

alleycat9 and HomeoftheJets like this.