QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice list of candidates 73K!

But heres the priority imo:

#1#Draft a QB (doesn't have to be in first 3 rounds but that would be nice) EVERY YEAR till you strike gold. Should be a day 1 starter like Dak or Wentz

#1A FIX THE OL

#2 Get a CHEAP stopgap who is decent...likes of nice options mentioned but I always felt we missed the boat not getting Jimmy G who broke all Tony Romos college records

# 3 Keep Hack and Petty for development or use as trade bait...none have shown real promise...too bad for Petty

#4 Which might as well be #1 GET A GOOD QB COACH

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Brees nor Rivers started year one. Neither did Brady, Montana, Favre, Rodgers, Warner, or Romo.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

At this point I'm willing to give Cousins 100 mil ... we're the Jets and we can't develop a QB to save our lives what's the worst that could happen ...

4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Then I would draft Cook

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I usually value your opinion, but Ryan Mallett?! I'd much rather start the two kids than that bum. He reminds me so much of JaMarcus Russell minus the syzzurp.

6. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Best thing for the franchise is to just play Petty and Hackenburg next year and then draft the kid from USC...but they won't they will sign Cutler and win 7 or 8 games.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  7. Joe T

Joe T New Member

Drafting another QB early round would be a huge mistake especially in this class. 1st priority is OLine. EVERYTHING else a distant second, so trade our #6 down and focus on it. Start Geno or Petty. If we have to bring a veteran in whether sun-setting star or journeyman, he has to be dirt cheap. Next OC should at least pretend the TE position exists.
    Our young talent is great on both sides of the ball and they're hungry. Develop and support them so they can shine. Next season will be a restructuring one. Expectations will be very low so let's exceed them for once.

LV Coach and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Mallet is a dunce. Stick with the talent we have invested in and work on them.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

MexicanJet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  9. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

We spend $100 mil on a guy who has a 2-11 record against teams with 9+ wins

10. SonofDinger

SonofDinger Well-Known Member

I believe Nick Foles is a free agent. I know he's nothing special, but he could be an okay stopgap veteran to compete with Hack and Petty in training camp. Plus my main concern with guys like Glennon et al is that they may command a huge salary. I think Foles could come much cheaper.

Thoughts?

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Tyrod Taylor is the most enticing option out of all the possible free agents, or tradeable QB's. Cutler and Romo are old, high priced, and have a lot of baggage. Hoyer is Fitzpatrick #2, Jimmy Garapollo will probably end up being another Matt Cassel. I think you can win with Tyrod Taylor, that does not mean he's one of the best, but I happen to think he's pretty good. If we gave Fitz 12 million then Tyrod easily makes 15+

12. xxedge72x

Personally, in the context of a team with two qb draft picks on roster, I'd rather spend the cap money building the rest of the team than sign an overpriced underwhelming veteran QB who will have to play behind the garbage we currently call an offensive line.

Also our secondary needs a shot of Powell PEDs too.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's simply not true. Garappolo had the quickest release and arguably the best footwork in his draft class. He's smart, athletic and works hard. Does he have a great coach? Absolutely. But he will succeed in this league and most likely be a playoff quarterback for many years in almost any situation he lands in.

I personally had him rated the second best QB in 2014 behind Bridgewater.

almbleamal likes this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's take a walk down that road.

First game of the season the turf monster snaps Petty's ACL (just like Testaverde) leaving us with the inexperienced Hack as the starter and whatever we can find on waivers to back him up.

We don't have to spend a lot but we need at least one QB on the roster that has started more than 8 games in the NFL. Even if that guy is Geno Smith (I sure hope not) we need that guy.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

For the reasons stated earlier in this thread I think it is unlikely Taylor becomes a FA as it is very likely his 30.5 million salary for next year will become guaranteed due to injury which may force the Bill's hand into signing him on a 2 or 3 yr deal.

16. xxedge72x

We're not competing for the playoffs next year, even if we sign the best available free agent on the market. Short of bringing Drew Brees here, there's no shot.

So, I don't really agree. We could get an undrafted QB to be the 3 just fine. It won't matter.

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If Whaley and the new coach they sign don't value him as a QB and want to go into a different direction, they may want to restructure and trade. I don't think its' likely but out of all the available QB's, Taylor is the one I feel the most compelled to go out and sign.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Any QB who is capped at 7-8 wins next year should not be a consideration for the Jets beyond the 2 guys who fit that description who are already under contract for 2017.

We need to get off the merry-go-round at this point and sit for awhile. We're all getting dizzy and the people spinning the merry-go-round most of all.

19. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Let's harcon back to a time when Geno Smith was the starter and the Bills defenders got 2-3 pick sixes before Geno assumed the fetal position on each subsequent play.

If you have zero production at QB you defense spends far too much time on the field. Player evaluation and development is difficult or impossible under such conditions.

$1-3 mil for an experienced QB would be a good investment for this team. Said QB could probably teach our young guys a thing or two.

westiedog1 and xxedge72x like this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

No one will trade for Taylor with a 30 million salary. Presently, he is going down the injury and surgery route that got Kaspernicks salary guaranteed last year. Taylor is in the driver seat now to get his salary guaranteed. If they agree on a 2 or 3 year deal it will be for a very large amount.