Defensive Coaching Staff Changes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Jan 3, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That's my feeling too. I really don't understand the thought process in Florham Park right now.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

SonofDinger and Cman68 like this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Almost...

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I'd take that (like a McCoy/Turner type). Just don't want some "hot" name coaching TEs in New England or something. I'm definitely a fan of the built in backup plan.

BacktoQueens and Cman68 like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

man deflippo is like 12 years old. from ancient gailey to boy wonder difilippo... that would certainly be a change.

and I am in no way saying that's a bad thing..

almbleamal and grkmanga31 like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

the special teams coach should be gone too. I understand he is already Bowles' second special teams coordinator, but the specials were terrible again. They went with a young guy in his first shot in the position, it didn't work out. Now would be the time to poach a good, established special teams coordinator from some other team by giving him the AHC title and a fat raise

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to pretend to have any clue what Rogers does. If anyone actually knows, please enlighten me. I understand he is the DC, but I dont think he calls the plays or anything.

Curious move to keep him, but its nice to see at least some shakeup on the staff. Hopefully this works out.

NYJetsO12 and iJet like this.
  7. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

The ol coach might get a pass as he was using a busted up line for a good part of the season.

hwismer, FJF and hornblower like this.
  8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

DeFilippo is an interesting and enticing option. Apparently Jets are also interested in former Chargers head coach Mike McCoy

NYJFOREVER and Jets_Grinch like this.
  9. nicg4360

I like McCoy just due to the Chargers always having a pretty good offense but it always helps to have Rivers as your qb.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

NYJetsO12 and James Hasty like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

I'd prefer McCoy myself. That guy made Tim Tebow look serviceable. Anyone that can make lemonade out of Tebow has my support as an offensive mind

12. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

How about Chip Kelly for OC? Hate his offense but.......it does fit what Petty ran in college. And Kelly did a great job making something out of the otherwise ordinary Nick Foles.

hornblower likes this.
  13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

band aid

14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He will have a laundry list of suitors so who knows what will happen, I would prefer McCoy myself because he's made Orton and Tebow look good. Just unsure how realistic it is that he will sign. Would be one hell of a mentor for Hackenberg IMO

nicg4360 likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

I think he would be a bad option because of his personality. He is like Harbaugh in that anyone who has ever worked with him hates him because the guy has to call all the shots. That's really not a good quality for a coordinator to have. Kelly I think is done in the NFL and will next take a job leading a college program, where he can do whatever he wants

NCJetsfan and Red Menace like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

The fact that Bowles will be on the hot seat next year might damage his ability to attract quality staff members but I believe it could help with McCoy. He could look at this job as the quickest step back to being a HC.

If the team does great he will be the story of the turn-around. If the team doesn't, they would fire Bowles and McCoy would be the top option as the interim HC, at which point he gets an audition for the permanent job. Win/win

17. nicg4360

Whoever they hire for OC as long as they are good with young QBs and secondly understand the definition of a balanced attack. Everything else is gravy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Reports saying Kelly open to being an offensive coordinator. Being fired two seasons in a row can be humbling. Former head coaches like Norv Turner, Chan Gailey, Kevin Gilbride, Todd Haley and Josh McDaniels have gone back to being effective coordinators.

19. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

This is exactly why i feel like this is one of the most attractive options for an OC candidate. As long as they don't completly shit the bed it is pretty much a quick jump from this to HC somewhere. Is there anyone in college who may be an outsider looking to make this jump?

20. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

It was probably something along the lines of "Hey Todd, if I suck this year, I'm gonna retire"

nicg4360 and Cman68 like this.