Should Hack play Sunday?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Dec 29, 2016.

?

Why isn't Hack getting start vs. Bills?

1. Jets are confirming they made a "huge reach"

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. If he "implodes" Mac's job is on the line.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Jets believe in the kid and are just being patient.

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  4. Mac has made two horrible 2nd round picks in his two years!

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Organization doesn't know WTF they are doing!

17 vote(s)
    25.4%
  6. 2017 starting QB is not on current roster.

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If Hack truly regressed, then both Gailey and Patullo should be gone.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If you don't have enough faith in your 2nd rd. QBoTF to play him today for even one down, I think that speaks volumes. They can hide behind "the plan" all they want, but today was the best time to get the kid at least ONE rep in a real game. Hell, even the Oline showed up and played well. Couple that with the Bills mailing it in shortly after the 1st qtr and you really have to wonder wtf is up with Hack.

I'm thinking this is all on Macc as its his rep that took the hit on the DP in the first place. Macc needs Hack to become the QBoTF. So much so that I don't think you'll see Hack start next year either. They'll simply bring in a JAG or sign Geno as a placeholder. Perhaps Hack sees a snap by 2018 if they can find him under all that bubblewrap.

tbruner12 and BigSnacks54 like this.
  3. that ahole

that ahole New Member

thought maybe they would let him take the kneel down

4. Cman68

Can't take the chance Hack would get hurt on a kneel down..

5. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

It's always someone else's fault when it comes to Hackenberg. First it was Franklin's fault, then it was the, then the WRS, and now it's the coaching staff's fault .The only coach on the staff who seems to know anything about Quaterbacks is Gailey(he was against Fitz starting), but hey when you can fire the best coach on the staff to keep a bad head coach, you have to do it!

HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I couldn't disagree more. IMO your stance is completely unreasonable and untenable. Mac said from the beginning that Hack would not be playing this year and that his fundamentals needed to be overhauled. With that being the case, why play him, when you know he won't do well? All that would do is cause more dissent within the fanbase. Even more importantly, The OL is shit. Supposedly, they were going to start overhauling Hack's mechanics as soon as the season ended. It would have made zero sense to risk exposing him to injury behind our POS OL and causing him to spend the offseason rehabbing an injury rather than working on his fundamentals. You know as well as I do that if Hack had been started or played today and was seriously injured and couldn't work on his fundamentals, that Jets fans would have been screaming how stupid it was to play him (and it would have been stupid!). It would have been akin to putting Sanchez in at the end of the Snoopy Bowl and getting him injured. There was NO good reason for playing Hack today. NONE.

You guys aren't thinking clearly. You're letting your frustrations and cynicism overrule your better judgment.

7. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

There about to fire Chan Gailey. The plan is/ was stupid. We're about to fire the OC/coach who had the chance of helping Hackenberg develop. They'll probably hire a new OC and have a new system in place. Bowles will also be on the hot seat, which likely means development won't be a priority of his in the offseason if he needs to make the playoffs or come close to it to keep his job.

8. Cman68

Bullshit.. The Jet OLine actually showed up today and played better than they have in weeks! The jets had a viable running game today as well as Gailey for once in his life didn't get Pass happy and used Powell like he should have been used all season long. The Bills mailed it in by the end of the 1st qtr. There was no reason why Hack could not have taken a snap or two. Perhaps don't start him, but don't play him in a blowout in a meaningless game? Not even for one series?

WTF is so wrong with Hack that he must be overhauled to this extent? If he's that bad, he should have never been drafted in the 2nd round or at all. You make it sound as if they're rebuilding Hack from the ground up. Is Hack the Jets version of the $6million dollar man?

Honestly, you saw the same game I did. The Bills were never in this game. Not from the first kickoff to the last gun. They showed up today for their game checks. If Hack is so brittle that he can't get sacked, he's not gonna last long in this league. If Hack can't play behind a decent oline and hand off for a series without risking his career, he'll never be the QBoTF.

So, how long exactly do you think it will take to rebuild Hack? 3 years? 5? Think he'll get a snap in a real game before 2018? At this point, I don't think the QBoTF is on the jet Roster. I'm not so sure he's been born yet.

#108 Cman68, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    tbruner12 likes this.
  9. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I still can't believe a 2nd round pick at a position that was desperate for talent due to injury (Geno,Petty) could be benched in favor of a guy who is gone (Fitz) in a game that was beyond meaningless

Wow-

Mac, you really better have a plan. I hope you didn't take Hack just to block him from O'Brien in Houston

10. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

There was absolutely no reason he couldn't have played after we scored on the kickoff. Not for the fan base, but for the coach that inherits him, whoever that is. If he can't play today, no matter if he has progressed or regressed since we drafted him, he should not be in a JETS uniform, and the team needs to go in a different direction for sure. Maybe next season he will be ready to perform in a game, as a back up to the backup holder.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He tweeted that?

Edit nvm anonymous sources said it. Someone is getting the boot. Guess it'll be Gailey. They have some work to do as they drafted him in the 2nd.

#111 101GangGreen101, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  12. tbruner12

Just to clarify....
    I hope Hack is the next Marino and al this wasted time ends up being awesome! But any football realist knows that QB's that guide a franchise are not broken to start with, and there isn't anyone who can fix him to the extent they avoided playing him when we desperately needed something. Mac screwed up, and it doesn't take a QB whisperer to see it. Good luck Christian Hackenberg, I hope your off season is infinitely positive, and you come back next fall in the shadow of a great QB! If not, your next season will likely be your last.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i just hope hack's presence does not keep us from taking watson if he is available.

Cman68, tbruner12 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The blame should go primarily to Mac for drafting him.

Cman68 and tbruner12 like this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's an inaccurate thrower with bad footwork and no sense of the flow around him in the pocket. He has no internal clock at this point.

He regressed two years running at Penn State.

He should never have been picked by the Jets in any round, let alone the 2nd round. He needed a great organization at developing QB's to have any real chance of becoming even an NFL backup QB. Obviously the Jets are not that organization and never have been historically speaking.

One of the key flaws any GM has to watch out for is the tendency to over analyze prospects and fall in love with them in the process. Match up the Jets glaring needs at QB with Maccagnan's obvious infatuation with Hackenberg during the scouting process last year and you get the situation we are in now.

The idea that you can totally overhaul a prospect's mechanics and make them a good QB when they weren't a good QB in college should be a non-starter for an organization that has not done well with QB's in decades.

Cman68 and tbruner12 like this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I can't help but think that because we've had defensive coaches all these years that they've been pushing for 1st round defensive players every year. Then what seems to happen is round 2 we go offense and try to overcompensate for our lack of 1st round offensive talent by picking a guy with the qualities of a 1st rounder, but has major flaws that label them "project picks". Seeing as we can't ever develop anyone on offense, it ends up blowing up in the GMs face. We're a bad organization because we can't draft plain and simple. I used to defend Mac but no more. It looks like Leonard Williams and a few late round role players are the only draft picks that have panned out so far. This offseason he better have a good draft or I will want him and Bowles gone together.

Br4d and tbruner12 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

If Hack ultimately fails and is a bust, then yes, Mac will get the blame. We won't know that for a while, however. At this point, if a player regresses, then it's on the CS. Players learn differently and at different rates, and sometimes one has to take a step backwards before one can go forwards, but overall, if Hack has regressed, that's solely on Gailey and Patullo. It's up to them to figure out a way to help Hack learn what he needs to learn. Too many coaches/teachers have one way of teaching, and that's it. If the player/student doesn't "get it" and fails, the teacher/coach is the one who fails most, not the student, especially when the student wants to learn and is trying to learn.

18. tbruner12

How is Mark Sanchez doing in Dallas?
    Maybe he can come back to us?

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

See for yourself. It isn't pretty.

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. Cman68

Wow... that truly was brutal! I wonder how Sanchez has managed to stay in the league...