Should Hack play Sunday?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Dec 29, 2016.

?

Why isn't Hack getting start vs. Bills?

1. Jets are confirming they made a "huge reach"

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. If he "implodes" Mac's job is on the line.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Jets believe in the kid and are just being patient.

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  4. Mac has made two horrible 2nd round picks in his two years!

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Organization doesn't know WTF they are doing!

17 vote(s)
    25.4%
  6. 2017 starting QB is not on current roster.

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

YES....

He has to see game action and get some time on tape. This is absolutely ridiculous. The jets "out" is that they are on record for wanting him to sit for the year. Well that was way before the 4-11 gem in front of us. Circumstances change and dictate your moves - he needs to see the field sunday.

2. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Why didn't the Jets hire someone to work with him on mechanics for 6 months? The season was "over" in mid-Oct.,
    people in this organization must have thought somewhere along the line to give Hack a shot in the last two games, but
    obviously the CS that sees him every day has no confidence in the kid!

tbruner12 and Boomboom like this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I think the eternal search for the Jets franchise QB continues with this upcoming FA period and draft and will most likely continue leading up to the 2018 draft. Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen and Darnold would all look great in Jets green.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Hackenbergs accuracy issues stem from shaky footwork. I've seen him deliver darts on the run and I've seen him throw balls into the ground. Once he tightens up his footwork and puts more touch on his short throws his accuracy will improve.

The key will be his decision making. That's been our biggest issue with Sanchez, Geno and Fitz. If Hack doesn't try to win games with every throw I think he'll be fine.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Maybe maybe not. If we are looking at the 2018 draft and we still need a QB, I hope we have a new CS at that juncture. Mac tied himself to Hack with the overdrafted selection.

tbruner12 likes this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We probably will have a new CS after next season. Between the end of this season and the end of next season, there will be no long-term solution to the Jets QB problem. Let's just call it like it is. Hack at best could be a journeyman QB in this league and you know I'm just saying that to be nice to the kid. I think you've read my position on him. He's not a franchise QB even in the CFL.

I'd rather go through one more season of crap (because it's not like we'll do any better than 7 or 8 wins next year BEST case) and finally get a real franchise QB.

I really like Rosen and Jackson (both big-time pro material). Darnold has the makings of it too but I need to see more game footage on him.

We get the QB and we can build the rest of the team around it. Draft some big time OL this offseason and maybe Fournette and you have the makings of a nice team for years to come. That's how I see it.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hack doesn't have much of a shot, but I am willing to give them next season to see what they have in the kid. If they can't develop him and he's not on the field, then I would like to see the CS go because they wasted a 2nd rounder. 2018 does have good prospects, Rosen, Jackson and Darnold. I liked what I saw from Darnold, he's got a live arm, accurate and has the size. Next year, should be more of a test for him. I hope Jackson improves in terms of passing the football, he's gotten better but needs more improvement. For the most part, I think we can agree that next year if things don't get better, the FO / CS should be shown the door.

Def gotta fix the O-line, but I won't take Fournette at the top.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  8. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

No, he shouldn't play. He has been 3rd or 4th string all year, which means to few reps. Only 20% of our O-Line started from opening day. Many of the players have seemingly checked out. Why put your young QB in a perilous, meaningless, no-win situation? He could be the next Peyton Manning, and he'd still get killed this week.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Not turning the ball over is the biggest thing for our team. Every year it seems like we're a league leader in turnovers (probably because we are). We really need to cut down on mistakes. Look at KC. They are a good football team because they make little to no mistakes. If you don't turn the ball over you win ball games. It's that simple.

If hackenberg could come in and not turn the football over than he is instantly light years better than any QB we've had this year. It would probably be for the best if he didn't play Vs the Bills though. He's taken 0 snaps with the starters all season, there would be no rhythm in the offense.

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Hack shouldn't see the field unless Fitz gets injured. I do not want to see another young QB get injured behind this non-oline. As fans we like the emotional appeasement of seeing what Hack has to offer, but that's not how the coaches are looking at it. They know he's not ready yet and the last thing they need is to stunt his growth by throwing him to the fire and getting him hurt.

hwismer and Jets_Grinch like this.
  11. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I don't agree with a single one of these choices.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  12. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Hack isn't made of glass, why all the worries about him getting hurt?
    You Hack people realize Geno started day one, and he was a project too. It's best that we find out what we have sooner than later.
    Imagine if we would have blown a couple years on Geno, just now finding out he isn't the guy of the future? QB fixing is a joke. There isn't anyone capable of fixing any position, much less QB.
    Bottom line is Mac blew a good 2nd round pick in an attempt to threaten Fitz and his agent to sign.
    We have a joke for a coaching staff, and a rookie for a GM. Not a good time to be a JETS fan for the foreseeable future.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

True True True

!969 -2017

Do the math and still no SB appearance

(Almost 5 decades boys and girls ,,,sigh)

tbruner12 likes this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Anyone else excited that Fitz is almost off the team and when he leaves Hackenberg can have his #14 back? I am for some reason. Oh yeah, I remember why: There is nothing else to be excited about with this team at the moment.

tbruner12 likes this.
  15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Wait, you're saying the Jets should put Hackenburg on the Geno Smith Quarterback development plan? I mean, I know Geno turned out great and all....

16. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I swear people have the memory of a flea in this place. We threw Sanchez and Geno to the wolves from day 1 and the prevailing theme was it's dumb to start a QB without a year learning under his belt. Take it slow, don't rush them. Now because Petty looks like a lost cause we should just revert to the old way that obviously worked so well?

b.reyes16 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  17. tbruner12

Not what I said at all.
    Nacho was drafted as our QBotF, I prayed we didn't pick him but our leadership did. He sucked and doesn't play anymore.
    Geno was drafted to be our next, he sucks, and may get his last shot with the team next year.
    Petty was drafted as our Back up of the future, while Havk was suppose to be Mac's version of our next
    QBotF. Sitting QB's, and red shirting them to the extent of years is retarded, unless there is a proven QB in front of them on the team already.
    Why is it that all the QB whisperer's on this board can't realize that there isn't anything on this team that can fix a broken QB? Who is this genius that can groom any of the QB's mentioned in this post? Who is the coach on this team or any other team for that matter, that can turn Hack into something other than a bust?
    Geno? Nacho?

18. tbruner12

Deny it all you want, Geno is better than Hack, and wasn't considered to be near the reach in round 2.
    I'm saying play them all, sitting like Hack did all year didn't do anything for his development. He hasn't improved in any football areas, and got paid a bunch to do nothing.
    If a player needs years of development before seeing the field, then he shouldn't have been drafted before round 5. Our team doesn't have a future hall of fame coach or QB to help the shit we have at QB.
    You can't right the ship reaching for project players.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're going to Suck for Luck you really have to suck.

The Colts started Curtis Painter 8 games in 2011 and went 0-8 in that string. That was their insurance on getting the first pick. They started Dan Orlovsky the last 5 games at 0-11 and almost blew it when they won 2 of the 5 games.

If the Jets really want to find their QB they'll insure a 2-14 season next year by going with the QB's they have on the roster now and not beefing with veteran talent in free agency. All it will take is 1 or 2 wins more than that and they'll have no chance at all at the top QB in the draft in the 2018 draft.

The Colts went into the season knowing that they were going to Suck for Luck. They fired Jim Caldwell at the end of the season (and the Polians) despite going into the season knowing it was going to be a terrible season.

If we beef in free agency we're going to win somewhere between 4 and 9 games most likely and we'll be as far from a Super Bowl win as we've ever been.

20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i havent really cared this week so forgive me if all my information is incorrect.

im surprised the jets havent brought in a fa qb just to be the backup so they can keep this guy from even dressing. i wonder wtf they are going to have him do if fitzpatrick goes down and he is forced into the game?

started the year with 4 potential qbs, 1 abject failure, 2 season ending injuries and 1 guy that they refuse to allow to see the light of day.