Jets draft position

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Beki, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What's your point? A higher pick has a higher value. We can trade back and still pick in the late first while adding additional picks.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL. If we find a QB in Petty, that is the big picture, period. Drafting 6,7 or 8 is the luck of the draw, pure and simple. Unless you have a sure thing like Luck, the first ten spots is what hole do we want to fill, and we have plenty.

nicg4360 and JetBlue like this.
  3. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Ultimately placement in the order does merit value but should not be all end all be all. Same value can be had in the top 10 and beyond. There are no sure things even in the top 5 or even the first overall....see Jared Goff whom the Rams mortaged future picks on and he looks no better this year than our qb taken in the 4th round the prior year. Do you think the Rams are happy with how it worked out for them when they see Prescott doing so well. Not saying he is a bust but really? You can get quality picks through the entire first day let alone the first round.

LAJet likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I must have missed that one.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

If the Jets attempt to trade back and fail to because they are at 9 but could have at 6, then you have a point. Until then you are just being insecure that your hypothetical, which has no basis in reality as if yet, should be of greater concern than our players gaining the experience and confidence of success.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Panthers have more wins than us. So that is false.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

No you don't. You look at the next off season. The big picture is having future players emerge in the next three games. The big picture is having Petty show he can in fact be the guy and save yourselves 5 years starting Rookie McBust.

8. Beki

Beki Active Member

In fact, if we would beat the Dolphins somehow, our draft pick wouldn't change because of easier SOS.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

oops..read that wrong.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So if the four teams above us all lose and we win we still pick 6th? That's hard to believe.

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Yep, I had seen that on Twitter, but it was false....Jets are 6th now so we only dropped 1 spot.

12. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

2 of these games are far from meaningless. The next game has very big implications for the Dolphins and New England wants to secure home field advantage and probably rest some starters the final week. These will be huge games for Petty and the rookies. They would be big building blocks for each player. Especially if they find a way to win. If Bryce can look productive and hang in there and maybe even win one or both of those games that will go a long way in telling what we have in him.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Hypothetical, indeed.

The notion that winning games while out of the playoff hunt will provide some kind of magical juju for the future is a hell of a lot harder to prove then a draft pick that works out.

Petty can have all the confidence in the world but it won't matter if he has no targets and spends the game running for his life/on his back.

The Jets are devoid of talent and draft picks help to fix that. It'd be great to play spoiler in the east, but not at the cost of sliding too far down in the draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The games are only important for NE and Miami. IMO it's utter nonsense that these games are building blocks for each Jets player. They're important for Petty, probably ASJ and a few other Jets who the Jets may be undecided on for next season. For the vets who will be cut, for the players with no heart and who loaf on the field, the games are utterly meaningless.

Jets81 likes this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Definition of Big Picture
    1. : the entire perspective on a situation or issue —used with the

Red Menace likes this.
  16. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't feel bad. But if we're gonna win, it's not gonna be 6-3 games with the way this defense is playing.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The Jets are not going to fall too far in the draft, and they will be able to address some of the oline issues they have with this years draft.

Scouting is the most important part of the draft, order is secondary to that.

The proof is in the pudding, look around the NFL the majority of good players were not drafted in the top 5 or 10, they were drafted in the middle of 1st round or 2nd and 3rd rounds.

The NFL has lost its sense of balance because of the handful of HOF QBs that exist and everyone feels that you have to be a pass heavy team to exist in the current NFL. That's where teams start reaching for players that should not be selected in the top 5.

The contrary is what most teams should be doing, building a balanced team and allowing a QB to develope within that system.

The best team I can think of that pick in middle of first round is the Steelers, they ended up with OLB-Shazier/15th pick, OLB-Dupree/17th pick, Guard-De Castro/24th pick in the last couple of drafts.

My concern as a jet fan is not whether they should tank or not tank for the sake of a draft spot, my concern is that the scouts give Mac the best players available for them to choose from no matter what draft position they end up with.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That fact that you are trying to negate experience and success by mocking it as "magical juju" reflects you aren't even interested in being rational if you would make such an irrational and hysterical description.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I hope I haven't been misunderstood in the thread. I do not want the Jets to tank. Tanking indicates that they're preparing a game plan that will lose the game. That's not what I think they should do. There's too much at stake for players and coaches to purposely lose.

That said, winning or losing these games no longer impacts the Jets 2016 season, so I'm not concerned if they lose. All that means is a potentially higher draft pick. I agree with you that high draft picks are often times reaches. I tend to believe that the media hype machine sells teams on players that have no business being picked where they are. The previous scouting team was not impervious to spin. Teamed with the Jets draft record in the high first round and yea, it's a bit of a danger zone.

I do, however, like the idea that a higher level pick could provide the Jets with some flexibility. Maybe we end up being the draft parter for that other team that wants to reach. Trade down, get the guy we want, and net some picks in the process. Or, perhaps, there is a guy who's a great pick at the spot. Yes, it's hypothetical, as some like to point out, but so is pretty much anything pertaining to the unknown.

Players should and will get experience in these last few games, whether they win them or not. I'm hoping to see them do well, and as long as they're becoming better players, I don't care if they lose the game.

#99 Jets81, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Red Menace likes this.
  20. Beki

Beki Active Member

So, we stayed at 6th position after last round.
    Rams-49ers during this weekend, so we could improve our draft position, but be honest, I don't care because winning against Pats is always huge (true that I can't see ATM how we could win...), but beating Rex's Buffalo on last week is more important.