Can't even tank right

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Dec 11, 2016.

1. snoopdogg01

snoopdogg01 New Member

Unless you go 0-16, what is the guarantee that tanking gets you the guy you want anyways? The Rams were terrible but still couldn't draft Andrew Luck.

And I disagree about the culture. I think it's _all_ about the winning culture. The Patsies are 14-7 in games not started by TB12. Do you think those players go out on the field thinking that they can get away with anything less than 100% effort?

A great example is the teams that played Super Bowl 48. Baltimore kept their organization and their culture intact; lots of new players, some hiccups last year but now they are back in it. SF has genius GM Baalke who thinks that coaching and culture don't matter; dumps Harbaugh for a yes man and here they are contending for #1 overall pick. If you have the culture you can change the players and still win. If you don't have a winning culture with accountability and discipline, no players are going to help you.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say that establishing a winning culture wasn't important. In a situation like this however, when a bunch of players will be gone after this season due to age, low effort and/or no heart, it's pretty much a wasted effort imo.

IMO the time to establish that winning culture is from the day the new HC starts with a team. When he doesn't hold players accountable, allows them to show up late to meetings and skip meetings altogether with little or no consequences, that's not building a winning culture. When the HC doesn't have the team prepared to play games, doesn't make adjustments, doesn't put his players in a position to succeed, allows them to continue to make mental errors, commit stupid penalties, and play in a haphazard, sloppy fashion, and doesn't bench them, then a winning culture isn't being established. IMO at the end of a losing season where the HC and team have performed abysmally is not the time to establish a winning culture, nor do I think it can happen. That's a joke imo.

If a winning culture is going to be established here, it has to start at the top with Woody. Until that happens, I don't think a winning culture will ever get established here.

#122 NCJetsfan, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I know the game inside and out and I try to provide facts in the form of statistics rather than speculative bullshit like a lot of people around here. The eye-test can only go so far to get your point across.

4. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

This is the best line of the entire thread .

5. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

#126 Ralebird, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And apparently you're okay with that any season the playoffs are unattainable. You can't play it both ways. What Herm said.

8. ProfJets

ProfJets Well-Known Member

Don't obsess over losing a position or two in the draft. Fans always remember when a great guy is taken ahead of their team, and lament winning some meaningless late season game that gave them worse draft position. But usually great talent is also taken by teams behind you in the draft order too. The key to building a strong team through the draft isn't losing games so you get earlier picks; the key is to draft smart wherever you happen to pick.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. GreenfiendNYJ

GreenfiendNYJ Active Member

This is what makes you "die hard"... not "die after a play off drought". there have been times when i wished AND tried to have a team to hold me over till the jets are good, yet here I am on TGG.

Best advice i can give you is, ride the green and white till you cant, then try to guess who will ACTUALLY take it. If you like football as much as you like the Jets, you will 1) Acquire coping skills pretty darn quick 2) learn to bend over and take it, or 3) clinch, dodge and watch the other teams get sodomized for the top 3 pick.

by observation and educated guess, its option #3 this year.

10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Herm Edwards is one of my favorite people, and I love him on espn.

nicg4360 likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Tanking is one of the most facetious overblown concepts in professional sports. People don't try to lose on purpose in most cases. The coach's career is on the line, plenty of players are looking for contracts or to secure a roster spot next year, young guys are building their careers. Bowles isn't trying to lose, and he shouldn't be. Tanking only makes sense to fans with tunnel vision that generally only care about their own selfish wants and needs for the team, but coaches and players don't think like that.

Red Menace and cval like this.
  12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Even if their was a cant lose franchise QB in this draft and the Jets did make an effort to tank, it would by no means guarantee they would land that QB. Look at Peyton and Eli Manning.

Unfortunately, the Jets have a bad reputation, and a platinum QB that could play for any team would possibly balk at getting chosen by the Jets.

Focus on Petty's development. Get him an upgraded OL and another offensive weapon. And if he doesnt work, try Hack. I feel like one of these guys will mature into an OK QB.

Red Menace and Sam Hammer like this.