Tank vs win

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jedi mind tricks, Dec 12, 2016.

?

How do you want to finish the season?

1. Sweep final 3 games against division rivals

25 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Lose final 3 games against division rivals

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Seems to be two camps around here these days: one side wanting the best draft pick possible and the other still rooting for wins.

If you had to decide between all wins or all loses which way are you leaning?

Inb4 "real fans don't want their team to ever lose"

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I want to see a young team playing hard, so that we can evaluate who stays/goes for next year. Wins and losses don't matter, but I don't want to see a repeat of that Indy game.

3. JCLA

JCLA Active Member

Losers Lose. Winners Win.

You don't teach young players to win by losing.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What you should be cheering for is for something to CLICK in Bryce Petty and he be the starter in 2017. If that happens, and he beats the Dolphins, Patriots and Bills, then you LOVE winning the final 4 games. If he looks like crap and the defense wins, it is less productive, but I will always take winning over losing. Having said that, the Jets will not be going (7-9). Realistically, they could beat Miami and Buffalo at home though. Would not shock me.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I want to see young/inexperienced players playing their asses off so they can be evaluated. If they win while doing it, fine. If they don't, I'll lose no sleep over it.

TwoHeadedMonster and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I want to see the Jets younger players gain confidence playing well heading into the off-season. If we win because of it, I'm happy with whatever the Jets draft position is. If we lose but we still see improvement from the youngsters along with the team still playing hard for Bowles I'll be happy with that too. Bottom line: Keep grinding and lay a foundation for next season.

TwoHeadedMonster and Cman68 like this.
  7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

As long as the kids are playing, and playing hard, I'll take the wins.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's it, 100%! Good call.

JetLifeLo and nicg4360 like this.
  9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Trade down, as many picks as possible.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You want them to fire everybody and you also want to trade down.

The only teams that are comfortable trading down are the ones that have the stability not to fire everyone every 2 years.

The teams that trade up are the ones desperate to make a splash and please the owner.

Which of those teams do the Jets sound like?

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I just want to see the young guys play and succeed. If we bench the veteran players and the young guys are out there winning the game for us, we do not need a higher draft pick because we already have our guy. If the young guys can't cut it we get higher draft picks to replace them.

It is a win-win as long as unproductive veterans (Fitz, Revis, Breno, etc.) are riding the bench.

12. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

As a Jet fan we should want to see our team win every game. I will never cheer against my team. HOWEVER, I will not be mad at all if we lose out and get a better draft pick no matter if we're 1-10 or 6-7, if we're eliminated from contention I want to see young players compete and coaches trying different things while appreciating a better draft pick. Ala why we all had the right to be furious Fitz started all the way up until this past weekend. So to answer the question, I want to see our team go into each of these last games and see Petty, Anderson, Peake, Smith, ASJ, Jenkins, Mauldin, Burris, etc. play well but would much rather have the best draft pick possible. I say this every year (which sucks because we suck every year) it's NEVER about tanking for one player, each spot is better than the next one, no matter what round the 3rd pick will always be better than the 7th pick.

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

All we need is a young team.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

+1000

If we find our guys NOW or we DONT...that dictates your draft needs WHY GET THAT HIGH DRAFT PICK WHEN YOU HAVE SOME DIAMONDS UNDER YOUR FEET????

Difference is play the younger players an f*ck the unproductive vets

Probably should have started doing this a few games ago imo

Survey : hard for me to give yea on tanking with some glimmer of hope here

#14 NYJetsO12, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  15. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I voted for sweep just because that means we are playing well and it means we have found some good young talent. Fuck losing for draft picks.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

32 7th round picks incoming!

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I want them to play all out and always want to see a win over a loss but if they end up losing the final 3 I will not be as mad as if it was a year they had a shot at the playoffs. Can never hope for a loss.

18. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Pros don't tank for draft stock. These guys got incentives, guys jobs are on the line, auditioning for the next team, GMs and coaches get fired. No person with skin in the game is gonna throw it.

Too much at stake for any GMs, players or coaches to tank for draft stock.

Now spoiled vets not giving a damn is one thing, but the staff should be putting young hungry guys out. I want to see people who want to make a name for themselves busting their ass. I want to see improvement and hard work. The W/L doesn't concern me just want to see effort and positive development.

Anyone who has ever played a sport knows people with pride don't tank.
    Any win is sweet. I like petty showing guts, I liked the locker room celebration. Can never take any joy in a loss and certainly no silver lining in improved draft status.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agree with the general sentiment but I think you don't have to necessarily win to be happy with the last 3 games. You want major progress. If Bryce progresses and shows that he will be at least an option to start next year, then we can go after a vet QB and have the three of them duke it out to be the starter.

If players like Anderson, Lee, J Marshall, Peake, Shell, Johnson and Burris play well enough to give the FO confidence at those positions along with a possibility at QB, then regardless of wins and losses you can be happy and hopeful going into the offseason.

This is not the topic but rather than start another thread figured I'd throw this out since it's along the same lines...... Was thinking today about "drafting vs. player development." I think sometime we get caught up too much in saying/thinking the Jets draft horribly rather than looking at the coaching staff not developing young players. Some players just flat out can't play but I think it's more about poor player development from the NYJ over the last several years. I don't know the answer but we are not very good AT ALL at developing young talent. I find it hard to believe we are that bad at drafting. I think its more about lack of developing players.

MoWilkBeast, Cman68, abyzmul and 2 others like this.
  20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I'd like the young kids to play

if they are all world (like Gary Sanchez) I would be glad to go 7-9 at the expense of draft order (contrary to what some think)

but

Winning with dog shit play against bad teams means nothing to me. It just means we learned they suck less than others, not that we found the next Namath or Walter Payton.

NCJetsfan likes this.