2017 QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by jetfannerd, Oct 5, 2016.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Of course he has detractors, but most draft sites I've visited have him as a top ten pick. That means he could very well be available when the Jets pick without having to move up. Would you take him?

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think I would. I like him a thousand times more than Kizer. He seems to play the point guard role well in distributing the ball to his playmakers, but he can also make big plays down the field.

We won't have a shortage of fast young playmakers next year and while Gailey's playcalling is atrocious at times, his game plan is tailored to getting the ball to playmakers in space. I think Watson would fit this offense well.

The only player I'm potentially taking over him is Garrett as he has the once in a lifetime edge rusher skills of a Von Miller to go along with a great motor. Motor and motivation go a long way for me, which is why I was never too fond of Jadevon Clowney as a prospect.

I wonder if Watson would play from day one for us, or if the refusal to play young quarterbacks continues. I think he's ready to play now, and he seems to have the football intellect to learn as he plays.

He's also a well-spoken and humbled young man. He could be as cocky as anyone, but he's not.

#102 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

watson will go minimum top 5 as some team will hope they hit it like the cowboys did with dp.

4. Chrebet Jet

Chrebet Jet Member

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The difference is that Prescott didn't cost the Cowboys anything. A team that takes Watson in the top of the draft will have to commit to him hook, line and sinker. In my opinion, though, he'd be worth it.

6. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

I would have to say Watson at Clemosn is easily the #1 QB and a guy no one has mentioned so far that is just steady and has gotten better every year is Oklahoma State's QB Mason Rudolph.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He sounds like a Bowles guy. This looks like a 2 QB class to me again, I'd love to have either Trubisky or Watson. Don't think we can go wrong there.

The problem is that Chip Kelly is probably salivating at DeShaun Watson, he's perfect for that system. We might see Trubisky to Cleveland and then Watson to SF, even the Bears need a QB and they're ahead of us too.

Our game in San Francisco is a must lose.

Jonathan_Vilma, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  8. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

He might not come out this year but I'm watching this kid Josh Allen from Wyoming. I think he may be one of the best arm talents I've seen in a while. Redshirt sophomore, 2700 yards, 23 TD, 11 INT in his first year starting. This guy feels pressure in the pocket and can escape, throws well deep and intermediate, has a cannon, is 6'5 and has plus athleticism to boot. And he plays from under center.

This guy has a wonky throwing motion but it comes out so effortlessly and fast. He throws balls 30 yards down the field like other QBs throw screens. He's a natural passer and can find the open man. Has patience but has no qualms with taking the ball and running it up through the broken pocket, sometimes putting a shoulder into a defender or two.

Obviously Wyoming isn't exactly Alabama or Ohio State, the last few years before Allen was the starter they were a 2-5 win team, with Allen they tied with Boise State in the MW for first, which they had a tie breaker over. They ended up playing San Diego State for the MW Championship this weekend and lost by 3.

I say we roll with Petty, Hack and a vet for 2017. If the outlook isn't good I think we need to try to get this guy. He makes so many "Wow!" throws, passing to complete nobodies. If he can get his completion percentage up and keep the turnovers in check, to me he looks like one of the best prospects I've seen.

9. TouchyFeely

So I've been a huge proponent of Trubisky since early in the season and just watched a few more of his games that I've missed. Is it unanimous that if he declares and is available at our pick we should snag him and not look back yet? He's so much more polished than the other QBs in this class.

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Isn't Cleveland going to need a QB? Shouldn't we automatically assume that the top QB in the draft will go to them?

11. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Can never assume Cleveland to do anything. They've needed a QB for decades now and unlike us they're in position to take one every year. example: last season.

12. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

New regime in cleveland. They're willing to trade down to double-up on picks, they do need a franchise QB but part of their issue (long-term) is that they've never put any QB into a position to succeed, not just that they take bad QBs. Their front office (wisely imho) grabbed a lot of ammo to build roster depth rather than throwing all their chips into an anointed franchise savior - which also takes some of the mental pressure off of said person.

13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

There is a lot to be said for having the infrastructure for a QB to develop and succeed. On one hand, if there's a can't miss prospect like Manning & Luck were, you have to take him. However, there are QBs that had talent, e.g. David Carr, but the lack of infrastructure, in his case O-Line, destroyed him.

14. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

Agree. My point is just I think Cleveland is going to keep building that infrastructure for another draft unless they feel very, very strongly about a singular QB prospect. I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt to move out of the top slot again, or just take Garrett as the BPA if no-one presents them with a compelling offer.

15. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I agree.

16. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Speaking of infrastructures, ours really sucks.

june19 likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Who is this Mitch Tribinsky guy? I see some Mocks have him at #1 overall!

18. TouchyFeely

Junior who started his first year this year. He was one of the most accurate and efficient QBs to play this year. His system is pretty QB friendly but I think he has what it takes. He has a pretty good arm, nothing special. He also has plus athleticism and can run but he's a pass first QB.

I think he's much more polished than Kizer and Watson and lightyears ahead of Kaaya. I'd prefer him to play another year so we get a bigger sample size but with this QB class being nothing special I think he'll end up declaring.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Thanks! Good report. I'll watch some of his film later.

20. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member